- Salary Offer Based on PIN salary scale
- Experience Minimum 5 years of experience in designing researc
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration 8 weeks (May/June)
- Contract Type Short-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference PIN-HR/4113/2021
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility NO
- Probation Period Unspecified
- Close Date April 15, 2021
- Education Educational qualifications in a relevant field, e.g. social sciences, planning, physical sciences, b
About People In Need:
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistance in 22 countries around the world. Formed in 1992, it is the biggest organization of its kind in Central Europe, providing humanitarian and development assistance where it is needed, and empowering civil society at home and abroad.
In Afghanistan PIN has been active since 2001, responding to humanitarian needs where they arise, and through targeted development programs. PIN implements projects focused on agriculture, women’s economic empowerment, social integration, humanitarian response.
PIN has a long-term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and disasters in Afghanistan and to the empowerment of the Afghan people, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance. PIN aims to work in coordination with existing local governance structures and promote community-based approaches to encourage economic and social development.
PIN Afghanistan has secured funding through the PIN Global PINnovation Fund to undertake research to inform development of a context appropriate pilot project for a community-based, livelihoods oriented, financially viable waste management system. The research will gather information to understand the current legislative and regulatory environment governing waste collection and disposal; current municipal household waste collection and disposal service offers; current waste disposal practices and attitudes of households; the current collection, disposal and value recovery practices of private collectors; and the barriers to enhanced value-recovery waste management. The information gathered will be analyzed to produce a research report and recommendations that will be used to inform the design of a value-recovery waste management pilot.
The Lead Researcher’s role will be to manage the field research and, with the support of a Research Assistant, conduct the research in Maimaina municipality, including representing PIN Afghanistan professionally and in line with Core Humanitarian Standards. The role will be responsible for regularly updating the Regional Focal Person and Project Manager on progress and escalating any issues faced during the research process in good time.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Research Lead will be required to undertake the following responsibilities and tasks:
- Undertake desk-based research to build knowledge base before undertaking primary data collection
- Quality assure research tools and develop a robust research methodology to deliver the research objectives
- Prepare research field plan that will deliver the research in a safe, efficient and effective manner
- Be responsible for the day-to-day duty of care of the research team whilst in the field and providing regular updates to the Regional Focal Person and Project Manager.
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders in Maimaina municipality including municipal government, CDCs, municipal waste associations, private and informal waster service providers
- Facilitate, organize and undertake key informant interviews, focus group discussions and observation visits
- Undertake household level surveys
- Ensure all data and information gathered is collected in an accurate, clean and organized manner to ensure efficient analysis
- Undertake analysis of the research findings with the support of PIN MEAL Manager and Technical Advisor
- Present initial research findings to the PIN project team and fill any reasonable research gaps
- Prepare first draft research report
- Ensure all data and information collected is filed and handed over to the Regional Focal Person at the end of the assignment.
- Finalized research tools and methodology week 2
- Field research plan week 2
- Full data and information set week 5
- Research findings presentation week 7
- Final Research Report week 8
- Experienced and qualified quantitative and qualitative researcher.
- Educational qualifications in a relevant field, e.g. social sciences, planning, physical sciences, business management or economics.
- Proven experience in designing research methods and methodologies to deliver specific research objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and undertaking perception attitudes and behavior surveys.
- Proven experience in mainstreaming gender and social inclusion considerations into research studies
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing research teams to undertake social research studies
- Proven experience in designing, organizing, facilitating, and carrying out KIIs, FGDs and household assessments with government, private sector and community stakeholders including traditional structures
- Demonstrated experience in conducting data analysis, presenting findings and preparing research reports
- Ability to represent People in Need with key stakeholders and communities
- Good professional judgement and strong sense of integrity
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to make sound decisions
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong spoken and written English
- Previous experience conducting research or practical experience in the municipal solid waste management sector in Afghanistan
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply. Only those candidates will be called for interview who meet the qualification and requirements for the mentioned position.
Please follow the below link and fill out the form completely:
Closing date will be 15.Apr.2021