- Salary Offer As per company salary scale
- Years of Experience 3 Years
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 1 year(s)
- Contract Type Contractor
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference WHOAFG-2022-07-55
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- close Date August 10, 2022
About World Health Organization:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the technical and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership in global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical and implementation support and monitoring and assessing health trends. In Afghanistan, WHO works to improve the health and well-being of all Afghans by preventing and reducing mortality, morbidity and disability and strengthening health services in close coordination with national and international partners.
Purpose of the Post:
• To support the activities of the Islamic Advisory Groups and the National Islamic Advisory group in regard to visibility at the national and international level
• Monitoring social media to track rumors and misconceptions to report to the NIAG focal person in the country,
• The social media manager will be reporting to the National IAG Focal Point
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the program):
The Islamic Advisory Group for Polio Eradication (IAG) was launched in February 2014 after consultations among Al-Azhar Al Sharif of Egypt, the International Islamic Fiqh Academy (IIFA), the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC).
Its establishment was one of the top recommendations made during discussions with Islamic scholars on polio eradication in Cairo, Egypt, on 6-7 March 2013. In Afghanistan after a national conference of Islamic scholars in 2016, IAG started its support to polio eradication with focus on polio priority provinces in east and southern regions. IAG aims at exploring ways to muster support from Muslim religious scholars and groups, to end polio in Afghanistan.
The purpose of this position is to provide technical support for polio eradication program activities and routine vaccination from the Islamic perspective through forging support by religious scholars to ensure that the objectives laid out in the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) End Game and Strategic Plan 2018-2023 are met.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment):
– The incumbent will be based at National Emergency Operation Center for Polio with frequent visits to WHO Country Officer,
– Will oversee the work and activities of provincial focal points,
– Closely liaise with the members of National Islamic Advisory Group, Communication Working Group and Refusal Oversight Committee as well as line ministries,
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of NIAG National Focal Point will be responsible for:
1. Follow on social media postings in respect to polio vaccinations, both supportive and opposing, track rumors and report to the supervisor and the communication team
2. Actively amplify the postings of IAG in social media using all available channels, in consultation with the supervisor,
3. Translate the IAG postings in local languages and do the reposting after endorsement by the supervisor(s),
4. Prepare weekly and monthly social media plans with photos and graphic design as needed and review with the supervisor and the communication team and post on social media pages,
5. To ensure that social media plans should be based on the religious teachings, responding to local concerns and rumors.
6. To work with the communication team to respond to those rumors,
7. The social media manager should actively participate in PEI communication group meetings,
8. Maintain records of weekly NIAG Focal Points in the provinces and NIAG member photo reports,
9. To maintain an archive of photos, video clips and media postings of NIAG activities in a systematic way,
10. Should develop innovative approaches to maximize the IAG/NIAG social media postings,
11. To provide statistics on IAG/NIAG social media postings to his/her supervisor.
12. Any other relevant task assigned to him by the supervisors.
1. Bachelor of journalism or social science, or a relevant field,
2. Work experience in social media management would be a plus, work experience in relevant field and knowledge of computer and social media management,
3. Knowledge of Islamic religious teachings will be an asset,
4. Fluent in local languages and working understanding of English,
5. Good computer skills with ability of typing in English and local languages
6. Full time availability,
1. Communicating in a credible and effective way,
2. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences,
3. Fostering integration and teamwork,
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
– Training skill to be able to train health workers, community, and religious leaders.
– Excellent Knowledge of PEI and EPI
Medical Doctor (MD) or Graduate of Sharia faculty
Master’s Degree in one of health disciplines and or Islamic studies will be an added advantage.
Essential: At least 3 years working experience in polio eradication, any other public health program or Islamic studies.
Languages: Very good working knowledge of English and the local languages.
-Good working knowledge on word, excel and power point and able to use internet browsers
Screening of the candidates:
Long List – The candidates shall be longlisted based on the minimum qualifications and relevant experience to the Vacancy Notice (VN).
Short List – Further shortlist shall be done based on years of relevant experience, higher education and required skills.
WHO may conduct written/presentation and interview or combination of the mentioned mediums to select the most qualified candidate.
WHO is an equal opportunity employer and qualiﬁed women are particularly encouraged to apply and equally qualiﬁed female candidate will be given preference.
Interested applicants (Afghan National) meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit their applications quoting this Vacancy Announcement Number (WHOAFG-2022-07-55) along with their curriculum vitae, copy of National ID (Tazkira) to below mentioned email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. ONLY CANDIDATES WHO QUALIFY AND UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEW AND TEST.