- Salary Offer As per NRC Salary Scale
- Experience 4 Years Experience with Urban shelter ,Rural Shelter and infrastructure standards
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration Till 31st May 2022 (Extendable)
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference VA-2022-007
- Gender Male
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date January 20, 2022
- Education Bachelor degree in civil engineering
About Norwegian Refugee Council:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks. NRC requires staff members who travel on an international contract to the field to undergo an medical examination with our medical provider. Employees must produce a Health Clearance Certificate before departure stating that there are no relevant health concerns. If staff are unable to provide this, NRC reserves the right to terminate the Contract of Employment.
Purpose of the Job
The purpose of shelter Technical Officer Position is to contribute with specific technical competences to project implementation. The Shelter Technical Officer, under the direction of the Shelter Project Coordinator and Shelter Project Manager, will work in collaboration with the Society, other Partners, National and International Humanitarian Organizations, local authorities and affected communities within the mandate of the Organization and project in order to: Collaborate on Shelter and Settlements strategic planning from relief to recovery, program development and implementation with a focus on specific technical deliverables. Support the design and implementation of Shelter and Settlement programs with particular attention to design, specifications, safer building promotion, supervision and Housing Land and Property issues/security of tenure. With the aim, that the Shelter and Settlements components ensure joint and integrated programming that builds upon community capacities, quality and accountability to beneficiaries, maximizing local capacities and livelihood opportunities whilst reducing shelter and settlement related risks and vulnerabilities. This position will normally not entail management responsibility of staff, but under certain circumstances, the job may entail management responsibility for a very limited number of staff at Technical assistant level. Either these circumstances can be related to a time-bound support or permanent but in scope limited administrative support.
- Provide specific technical analysis and feedback to NRC representatives in coordination forums
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Core Competency Specific Technical responsibility for implementing technical activities, for tracking of financial expenditure, Quality control and monitoring, and project documentation of technical activities within core competency.
- Implement plan of action for Shelter Core Competency project (activities, budget and project documentation)
- Day to day follow of progress in project implementation
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies Core Competency tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders
- Promote the rights of Internally Displaced People/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Desk study of relevant technical documents
- Provide technical support for architectural and structural design of the buildings, technical support to field staff ,especially close follow up of Shelter sealing of kit implementation in Kandahar
- Responsible to ensure the construction project is implemented according to the plan with the required quality and design, Conduct field visit and interviewing returnees/Internally Displaced People in Kandahar.
- carry out regular site monitoring and quality control of the shelter project
- Interview relevant stakeholders for urban shelter or infrastructure project needs and opportunities
- Participate in Assessment report and concept paper for infrastructure project
- Development of holistic and needs based programmes, including cash-based interventions and marked based programmes
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports.
- Responsible for assessment, project planning, implementation and monitoring
- Conduct field visits and prepare reports on weekly basis.
- Enhance community participation and conduct field assessment of beneficiaries
- Assessment on site, needs and resources, shelter type, data on returnees/ Internally Displaced People.
- Beneficiary selection, Identify vulnerable families eligible for shelter assistance according to pre-established selection criteria
- Any others tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- 4 Years of Experience in community based projects
- Experience with Urban shelter ,Rural Shelter and infrastructure standards
- Bachelor degree in civil engineering
- English (Fluency in Ready, Writing and Understanding)
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Ability to meet deadlines in multiple-tasking environments
- Ability to engage and motivate staff in a challenging programme area
- Collaborative nature, ability to work well in a team environment
- Flexibility, creativity, and it helps to if you have a good sense of humor
- Good coordination skills
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale.
- Smart Phone with Top up Credit card with internet package on monthly basis.
- NRC will cover staff plus four (4) depended for medical insurance.
- One time Eid Bonus per year
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labour Law.
How to Apply:
Interested qualified candidates can apply by clicking on below:
Note: All applicants are supposed to create and properly fill online CV profile in the Oracle site, example (personal, education, experience background etc..) and only attaching CV will not be enough.
Only those who closely meet the job requirement will be informed.
Use Online Application Form