- Salary Offer As per MCA Salary Scale
- Years of Experience 6-7 years of relevant experience (min 3 years) in a managerial leadership position.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 4 Months
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference MCA044-2022
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period Not Specified
- Education Requires a university degree, preferably in business administration, education, economy, finance, psychology, international development, social sciences, or a discipline with a strong socio-economic development background. Master’s Degree preferred.
- close Date May 24, 2022
About Mercy Corps:
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build a more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives. Recognizing both the great potential and the complex challenges faced by Afghanistan, since 1986 Mercy Corps has been implementing a range of humanitarian assistance and development programs tailored to the specific needs of the country and of those communities where we work.
Mercy Corps has been working in Afghanistan continuously since 1986 with a large portfolio of programs addressing the promotion of sustainable licit livelihoods, agriculture development, youth vocational training, Renewable Energy and natural resource management; it has helped more than 2.5 million Afghans through these wide-range of community–based agriculture and economic development programs.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
General Position Summary
The Senior Program Manager (SPM) is responsible for the overall management of the program according to the agreed program deliverables, timeline and budget. The SPM will be responsible for overseeing the program monitoring and evaluation framework, including baseline, mid-line and final assessments. In coordination with field teams, the SPM will be responsible for the day to day smooth implementation of activities, and be responsible for managing and building relationships with private sector, government and other actors working in the field of youth and entrepreneurship. The SPM will supervise Provincial Manager and Technical Lead, 2 Senior Market Linkage Officers, one in Kandahar, one in Herat, 2 Program Officer/VTC Coordinator, 1 Protection Officer, 1 VTC Assistant and will work closely with other relevant departments in Mercy Corps, such as MEL, Finance, HR, Operations, Procurement, Security to ensure proper program implementation according to policies and procedures. The SPM will be based in Herat, requiring monitoring visits to Kandahar at least 80% of his/her time. The position holder is also expected to undertake the coordination role on behalf of the Youth Vocational Skills’ Portfolio while dealing with provincial authorities, UN Agencies, clusters, working groups, donors and others, when required.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Overall program management, responsible for implementation, budget, staff, resources, reporting.
- Set and execute project work plans in accordance to established policy resources, ensuring responsiveness and relevance to standards, expectations and objectives while ensuring timeliness and deadlines.
- Initiate constant feedback with team and/or partners on project for quality and deliverables.
- Uphold functional teams that ensure daily quality operations deliverables as per strategic objectives, while fostering innovation, open communication and strong teambuilding.
- Representation of the program within communities and government and private stakeholders.
- Build/ maintain community rapport and acceptance of Mercy Corps and the program.
Strategy and Planning
- Actively support to new proposal development, both solicited and unsolicited proposals.
- Identify project design frameworks for project development/assessment.
- Represent Mercy Corps with government and relevant actors in the field of youth and entrepreneurship.
- Work closely and collaborate with other Mercy Corps’ departments: MEL, Finance, HR, Operations, Procurement, Security to ensure proper program implementation according to internal and the donor’s policies and procedures.
Leadership and Team Management
- Leading and managing the staff of the Nova-INVEST program by exemplifying a collaborative and professional team culture.
- As an integral member of the senior leadership team, participate in the development and implementation of organization-wide goals and decisions.
- Coach and develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- Motivate, influence and engage staff in the investment of MC’s culture, mission and vision.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Program Participants
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our program participants and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging program participant communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Provincial Manager and Technical Lead
- 2 Senior Market Linkage Officers, one in Kandahar, one in Herat,
- 1 Program Officer/VTC Coordinator,
- 1 Protection Officer,
- 1 VTC Assistant
- Reports directly to: Director of Programs YVS Portfolio or Deputy Country Director of Programs
- Works directly with: MEL Manager, Finance Director, Operations Director, Procurement Manager, HR Manager/Director, Security Manager.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Requires a university degree, preferably in business administration, education, economy, finance, psychology, international development, social sciences, or a discipline with a strong socio-economic development background. Master’s Degree preferred.
- 6-7 years of relevant experience in the non-formal education/TVET sector.
- Requires previous experience (min 3 years) in a managerial leadership position.
- Require strong budget management, report writing and program coordination skills – across various departments in Mercy Corps: MEL, Finance, Operations, Procurement, HR, Admin, Security.
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with government counterparts including experience in facilitating technical discussions involving diverse government and private sector stakeholders
- Responsible for training incoming staff on technical aspects of programs and Mercy Corps systems.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in supporting new business and proposal development
- Supervise staff and conduct staff performance reviews and provide staff with regular performance feedback.
- Familiarity with USG rules and regulations for grant management strongly preferred
- Routine guidance from supervisor on donor guidelines.
- Strong organizational and decision-making skills and ability to work independently.
- May conduct professional representation of the agency as assigned by management.
- Advanced knowledge of spoken and written English.
- Advanced computer skills in basic office programs (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Takes initiative; is proactive and highly organized.
- Possesses strong leadership, communication (verbal and written), time management, problem solving, decision making, critical thinking and interpersonal skills (team player).
- Requires minimal supervision.
- Teachable spirit. High work ethic, high attention to detail.
- Good sense of urgency to accomplish tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and deliver high quality results with a positive attitude.
- Leads by example and motivates his/her team to achieve the program’s objectives and goals.
- Promotes a healthy and professional environment within the team.
- High commitment to the program and Mercy Corps’ values and policies, high passion for humanitarian and development work.
- Conducting him/herself in a professional, ethical and respectful manner at all times, bringing credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardizing its humanitarian mission inside or outside the workplace.
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please state the title/ subject line as:
MCA044-2022 Application for Senior Program Manager
*Application received after the closing date or with a different subject line will not be given consideration.
Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview. Interested candidates should send their Application to: email@example.com