- Salary Offer According SCA Salary Scale
- Years of Experience 3-4 years
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration Fixed Term
- Contract Type Short Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference HRM/KMO 046-22
- Gender Only Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension No
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelor’s degree in relevant field e.g. journalism or communication/have equivalent qualifications. Master’s degree holders in the related fields/commensurate experience in the same will be preferred.
- close Date May 22, 2022
About Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA):
The Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) has been working in Afghanistan since 1982, presently managing development Programs concerning Health, Education, Rural Livelihoods and Community Governance, with a total annual budget of roughly USD 40 million. The total number of staff is over 6,000. During the last 10 years SCA has undertaken a change process moving from a primarily humanitarian service delivery approach towards more of a developmental role, putting increasing emphasis on capacity development, rights-based programming, and outcome orientation. The mission of SCA is to empower individuals, communities, and local organizations, primarily in rural areas and with particular focus on women, girls, boys and vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, so that they may participate fully in society and influence their own development. SCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment based on their skills, abilities, and experience without regard to age (18-65 years), ethnicity, religion, marital status, gender, or physical disability.
Scope of Work:
As Senior Communications Officer (Press and Media), the position holder is expected to lead all the press and media part of the Communication Unit (COMA). This role will coordinate closely with other units and functions engaged in particular communication and advocacy to develop and support dynamic strategic messaging, be able to pivot quickly, respond to crises, and manage tough deadlines. This work entails managing KMO’s contacts with local and international media in Afghanistan and ensuring responsive and proactive media outreach. The role is responsible for SCA’s social media channels in Afghanistan, including drafting, getting necessary feedback and approvals, posting, and moderating commentary. The role will also supervise and/or support other staff’s posting and moderating in connection with SCA social media accounts. The position holder will lead teams preparing communication projects and events relates to press and media parts and will work in close coordination with communications colleagues in the Kabul Management Office, SCA’s Regional Management Office, and colleagues in the Stockholm Management Office. The role will act as a coordinator and unifying focal point for communications teams in SCA’s Regional Management Office, supporting rollout of systems, protocols, and related trainings, and managing structured and strategic communications team coordination.
The position holder should also be ready to act as Head/Officer in Charge of COMA when the head of the unit is absent. S/he should also be ready to attend various forums related to SCA’s communications or representation needs, and to support the advocacy unit or program units in the same and to embark on any other related tasks assigned by the head of COMA.
- Manage SCA’s website and social media (Facebook for now) and consistently update the general contents as well as website news contents, in coordination/cooperation with head of COMA, and if/when needed the advocacy team, the related program unit heads/program director, and any messaging protocols.
- Manage the development of strategic messaging protocols, and work with advocacy, programs, and country management to ensure messaging is consistently up-to-date and appropriate.
- Proactively build a network with national and international journalists in Afghanistan, and proactively and strategically build SCA’s media presence through these contacts and other opportunities.
- Proactively identify and pursue publicity communications for SCA’s work.
- Support advocacy team in communications that strengthen coordinated influencing objectives.
- Monitor and manage the visibility of SCA in Afghan media, identifying, escalating, and managing response to any PR or program-risk issues immediately.
- Support and cooperate with the Editor in Chief of the staff magazine, Hemmat, with editing and translation of articles from Dari/English into Pashto and vice versa when needed.
- Write texts for the staff magazine, the web site, Facebook and other publications and materials of SCA when required.
- Identify and procure text, photo and video for SCA communication from external consultants when required.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Regional Communications Senior Officers, acting as a focal point and unifying lead.
- As needed, design and support rollout of systems, protocols, and related trainings for SCA’s COMA team, and manage structured and strategic communications team coordination in Afghanistan.
- Coordinate consistently with the Communications Unit in Sweden, providing mutual support, ideation, and aligned messaging, through the concerned counterpart/s.
- Undertake any other tasks within the auspices of the position that may be assigned by the head of COMA.
Values, Accountability and Integrity
The position holder works both independently, and together with others in the COMA team. S/he is also able to motivate, coordinate, and lead a team. The position holder is expected to always ensure to live by the SCA values as expressed in Code of Conduct and other policies, be loyal to SCA and other staff, protecting the reputation of SCA by acting with integrity and dignity, taking responsibility for the work, and treating colleagues with respect. S/he works actively building and maintaining effective relationships with team, colleagues, and external stakeholders. The position holder should be approachable, diplomatic, supportive, strategic, and hardworking, with good listening skills.
Experience: 3 -4 years’ relevant experience in communications, with responsibilities and duties relevant to this position. Some experience, informal or formal, in advocacy communications required. Experience working in media or with media relations required. Experience with an NGO or UN agencies preferred.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field e.g. journalism or communication/have equivalent qualifications. Master’s degree holders in the related fields/commensurate experience in the same will be preferred.
Share vision and values of SCA and actively stand up for them.
Have worked with mass media, journalism or as press secretary.
Have experience of production of printed media such as news, magazine and/or other relevant printed materials.
Ability and experience of writing and editing texts.
Have fluency in English and either Dari or Pashto, and knowledge of the other local language.
Have experience of planning and organizing communication projects.
Be a good team leader.
Have integrity, stellar interpersonal skills, and a positive problem-solving attitude.
Ability and willingness to travel to project sites within Afghanistan.
Be honest, pro-active, and well mannered.
Have excellent/good knowledge in using MS Office.
Skills in photography and video are desirable, including ability to work with publishing and imaging software.
- Interested qualified candidates should submit a full CV with a cover letter explaining their motivation in applying for the job and highlighting their relevant skills and experience.
- To apply online please send your application / CV to through APPLY NOW button below:
- Academic certificates or references need not to be submitted at this time. These will be requested if called for interview.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited for written test and/or interview.
- Applications after the given deadline is not accepted.
SCA is committed to ethical standards, a safe and inclusive work environment. Our work is based on our values: Responsiveness, Equality, Impartiality, Social Justice, and Integrity.
Background and reference checks are part of the recruitment process and will be conducted for the successful candidate.