- Salary Offer According to Organization Salary Scale
- Experience At least 5 years experience as a Buildings/Civil Engineer with reputed organizations. A minimum 3 years’ demonstrable experience in on-site construction of buildings or construction supervision of building works.
- Number of Vacancies 5
- Contract Duration Ongoing ICA - Open - Ended - subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
- Contract Type Permanent
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference VA/2021/B5014/22102
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period Unspecified
- Close Date July 31, 2021
- Education Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Construction Engineering, or equivalent professional qualification.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Construction Engineering Sr. Associate is a member of the infrastructure and engineering supervision team of the Support to RSHQ Programme. Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, Infrastructure Core Team, s/he will coordinate with contractors the day-to-day construction activities of the projects and provide reports to the relevant Cluster/Project Manager. The Construction Engineering Senior Associate will work with contractors to ensure UNOPS quality assurance requirements are met and that contractors effectively carry out quality control systems set forth in the contract. The Construction Engineering Senior Associate will also manage and monitor health, safety, social, and environmental (HSEE) standards on site.
General Construction Management
- Assist the Project Manager in developing comprehensive project work plans, clearly defining objectives, expected outputs, milestones, roles and responsibilities, and inputs required.
- Check drawings, specifications, and other construction design documents to ensure accuracy and soundness of design; identify potential design and construction issues and provide advice to the team on effectively resolving them.
- Monitor all project activities in relation to the respective project work plans and take corrective action, when necessary, to ensure the timely and cost-effective delivery of project outputs;
- Make recommendations on applications for extensions of time, claims for additional payment and other contractual disputes between UNOPS and the contractors;
- Monitor contractors’ onsite work to ensure delivery is maintained at the required level to meet project quality, time and cost targets.
- Coordinate with contractors and suppliers in inspecting all materials delivered to the project, ensuring they meet the specification requirements and take corrective action where the quality of materials delivered does not meet these specification requirements; prepare detailed reports on deliveries made to sites.
- Work with contractors on ensuring HSSE protocols and measures are implemented and standards are met.
- Work with quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) engineers in ensuring site works are delivered to and complying with UNOPS quality standards.
- Manage the process of design changes, where required, obtain necessary approvals and implement them to ensure minimum disturbance to site works.
- Maintain accurate measurement of the completed works for payments, keep appropriate records for all contracts.
- Manage and certify contractor payments for PM for approval
- In coordination with the PM, resolve on-site and off-site contractual disputes to minimize the need for escalating issues to higher authorities.
- Monitor daily progress of works, identify issues and problems, and provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards
- Organize regular site meetings with staff and contractors and prepare progress reports for the Project Manager
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress and conditions onsite through daily site records.
- Assist the Project Manager in preparing monthly reports within 5 days of month-end, summarizing project progress, quality control, HSSE, resourcing, scheduling, and other relevant issues.
- Support QA and HSSE reporting and investigations, follow- up with project teams in the preparation of incident reports (including near misses), and provide information for monthly QA and HSSE reporting to the country office.
- Contribute to the project evaluation process; highlight challenges associated with the project, and feedback into a continuous improvement cycle.
- Provide training and knowledge transfer to national/contractor personnel, including advice on good construction and engineering practices, environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Impact of Results
- The effective and successful achievement of results by the Construction Officer directly impacts the successful delivery of the project on time, budget and quality above the expectations of all stakeholders. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Construction Engineering, or equivalent professional qualification.
B. Work Experience
- At least 5 years experience as a Buildings/Civil Engineer with reputed organizations.
- A minimum 3 years’ demonstrable experience in on-site construction of buildings or construction supervision of building works.
- Proficient in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), contract management and project scheduling software and experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Knowledge and skills in using AutoCAD will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations will be an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari/Pashtu is required.
D. Key Competencies
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and new work assignments.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate with various support service units, work on tight deadlines, and handle multiple concurrent activities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentational), including ability to present sensitive issues/positions and to write reports and technical decisions quantitatively justified.
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment.
- Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge.
- Ability to build and promote effective teams and enable competence by sharing knowledge.
- Ability to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Submission Guidelines: ACBAR
Please click on the below link for actual vacancy announcement to see the complete details and submission guideline as this is only an attempt for attracting female applicants for gender parity in organization. Please make sure you fill your profile/application properly with all relevant details in order to be considered for the next stage of recruitment/selection.