- Salary Offer As per company salary scale
- Experience 5 Years
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration 5 Months
- Contract Type Fixed-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference COMAC-3428
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date July 30, 2021
- Education Master's Degree
About Conflict Mitigation Assistance for Civilians (COMAC):
Blumont’s Conflict Mitigation Assistance for Civilians (COMAC) program provides comprehensive victims’ assistance (VA) to Afghan families suffering from military operations by delivering direct and indirect assistance, building the capacity of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA), advocacy, and outreach.
To build a sustainable base for VA in Afghanistan, COMAC focuses on building the capacity of GIRoA, especially State Minister office for Martyrs and Disability Affairs (MMD ), as the main governmental entity for VA services while also addressing the broader challenges of collecting and managing data, national- and provincial-level stakeholder coordination, resource mobilization, enacting rights-based legislation and policies, and the systemic inclusion of victims and mainstreaming VA across sectors and programs. Capacity building efforts include participatory capacity assessments and workshops, reinforcing knowledge transfer for sustainability, coordinating with relevant service providers, and institutionalizing capacity building for the future. Together, these efforts touch on individual, organizational, and institutional levels.
State Ministry for Martyrs and Disability Affairs
The State Minister office for Martyrs and Disability Affairs (MMD) is the focal ministry within GoIRA that coordinate, manage and delivery services as well as the policy maker and regulatory authority to martyrs and disability affairs in Afghanistan. Current MMD has been established in 1358 (1979), then the Ministry of Martyrs and Disabled (MMD) and the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (MoLSA) merged together in 2007 and structured the MoLSAMD, by 2019 through presidential decree it become a state ministry and member of cabinet.
MMD in disbursement of financial benefits to heirs of martyrs and PwD (M&D) recipients which includes registration of new MD cases, recertification of current cases, assignment of benefits, and coordination with other line ministries; collecting aggregated reports from the 33 MD provincial offices in addition to the Kabul province which is managed by the central M & D offices; providing employment opportunities through vocational and technical training; Facilitating M & D recipients to access scholarships for higher education; advocating and facilitating the MD recipients’ employment in the government sector; facilitating and coordinating with the MoPH regarding health services provided to the M & D recipients in the health centers; attracting and coordinating national and international assistance to the targeted M & D recipients which includes certifying international and national NGOs to provide assistance to the targeted beneficiaries through an MOU, delivery of food packages, etc.; facilitating and assisting in the processing of Hajj pilgrims opportunities for MD beneficiaries; Facilitating other services such as land distribution, apartment, Paralympic activities, etc. and finally managing information for all mentioned services.
Blumont is seeking a highly qualified Consultant for the Research Institute of Disability (RID) at MMD to provide capacity building support. The capacity building approach should combine classroom-based training, mentoring, and learning by doing.
Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Conduct a research readiness and capacity assessment of RID to identify assets and capacity gaps, and recommendations for capacity building of RID.
- Develop relevant organizational processes and systems to build capacity of RID in consultation with the RID staff. The Consultant is expected to provide training and mentoring to assist RID’s senior staff to develop relevant guidelines/procedures for the organizational processes.
- Assist Director of RID to develop relevant terms of references (ToR) and job descriptions for RID staff.
- Conduct a research needs assessment at MMD with specific focus on victims’ assistance to help RID senior staff identify relevant research topics based on the MMD needs.
- Train/coach RID staff on research and development. Illustrative topics include:
- Fundamentals of research development, strategic planning for individual and institutional research development, research methods including data collection and analysis, research/proposal development, research project management, developing investigator capacity.
- Develop a curated list of research resources for the RID Library.
- Identify and support establishment of working relationships with domestic and foreign research institutes and relevant resources.
- Tasks agreed upon by the Consultant, MMD and COMAC.
Key deliverables will include but not be limited to the following:
- A research readiness and capacity assessment of RID
- Organizational process guidelines
- Updated ToRs for RID staff
- Research needs assessment whitepaper for MMD, with specific focus on victim’s assistance.
- Training for RID staff on organizational processes and updated ToRs.
- Staff training, mentoring and on the job support to improve research capacity at RID.
- At least one to two research collaborations established.
- Curated list of research resources for RID library.
- Modified and/or new deliverables agreed upon by the Consultant, MMD, and COMAC.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in related field is required (including Political Science, Business Administration, Public Administration), with robust knowledge of research methods. PhD is preferable in above mentioned or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in building research capacity at organizational level, conducting qualitative and quantitative research, and writing proposals.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written; fluent written and spoken English, Dari, and Pashto. Fluency in verbal and written English a must.
- Ability to work well in a cross-cultural environment including government working environment.
- Attention to detail.
- Proven leadership skills and teambuilding skills.
- Time management and prioritization skills.
- Good adaptability and ability to work under pressure.
- High level of integrity, independence, and initiative.
This will be a Kabul based position with some potential travel to the provinces.
Interested applicant are highly encouraged to apply for this position by filling the online application form and upload their cover letters and CVs through the following link:
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration. Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
Note: Female candidates and People with Disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply