- Salary Offer NTA Salary Scale, Grade B
- Experience (Preferred) Master’s or higher degree in Private Sector Development, economic development, social science, Business Administration or Management and at least 6 years of work experience. (Minimum) Bachelor’s degree in Private Sector Development, economic d
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference CRD00102/21
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date July 31, 2021
- Education (Preferred) Master’s or higher degree in Private Sector Development, economic development, social science, Business Administration or Management
Background Information – Cordaid
Cordaid was established in 2000, when several Dutch aid organizations joined forces. But our history goes back more than a century. Cordaid has changed over the years and is more than a donor now. Reducing fragility has become our core priority and we work in all contexts of fragility, from relief, through rehabilitation to longer term development. To do this effectively we seek funds, start partnerships and compete on a global market.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments and inspired by compassion, solidarity, and subsidiarity, Cordaid’s mission is to reduce fragility and the vulnerability of people where it is most needed and most difficult. We recognize that the overriding challenge in fragile and (post-)conflict countries is restoring trust and social cohesion, at community level and between communities and the state. This is what Cordaid does, right in the heart of communities, by mobilizing global networks, resources and knowledge. By doing this, we help people move beyond survival and live-in dignity.
Cordaid does this by promoting equality and social inclusion, by increasing the resilience of people and societies and by strengthening the social contract between citizens and their governments. Wherever we can, we combine lifesaving humanitarian aid with the longer-term improvement of health care systems, economic opportunities and resilience, and the promotion of security and justice.
Background Information – Afghanistan Country Office
Cordaid is working in and on fragility, and has been active in Afghanistan since 2001, aiming at a stable and peaceful country. We work across the triple nexus of humanitarian aid, peacebuilding, and development in 6 thematic areas, supported by lobby and advocacy activities. These encompass: humanitarian aid; inclusive peace; security & justice; health care; resilience & livelihoods; and private sector development. We provide programmatic leadership and require that our operations and those of our local partners are implemented to the highest standards complemented with knowledge generation that incorporates best practices and lessons learned.
- Background Information – The Project
The proposed action – implemented through a consortium constituting the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) and Cordaid – seeks to create jobs and income earning opportunities for displaced people and vulnerable host communities in Afghanistan, through private sector growth. It aims to build on and complement the Government of Afghanistan’s flagship EZ-Kar programme, a five-year project funded by the World Bank, the European Union, and other donors which aims to “strengthen the enabling environment for economic opportunities in cities where there is a high influx of displaced people”.
More specifically, the proposed action is designed to complement EZ-Kar’s Component 2.2, which seeks to improve the market-enabling infrastructure in urban centers. This action will capitalize on the enhanced business environment created by EZ-Kar to increase the number of jobs created by local businesses, and, crucially, ensure that displaced populations benefit from these new job opportunities. This action therefore includes two main pillars: on the one hand, supporting micro, small and medium enterprise (MSMEs) who benefit from EZ-Kar’s enhanced business environment to further grow their business and create jobs; on the other hand, supporting youth from displaced and vulnerable host community families living in those areas to secure and retain decent jobs in these MSMEs.
- The Job
The Regional PSD Coordinator based in Kandahar will remain the focal point for the project’s implementation in Kandahar city level. The Regional PSD Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing and leading all program activities, supporting implementation, and addressing issues and concerns related project. S/he will be developing partnerships and successfully compete on the marketplace aiming at diversification and growth of Cordaid’s programmes implementation for the Project. The Regional PSD Coordinator Kandahar will lead the project teams in Kandahar city to achieve the Project’s results.
- Functional Responsibilities
Under the overall direction of the PSD Project Manager- Kabul, and in accordance with Cordaid policies, procedures and practices, the Regional PSD Coordinator will be responsible for on-the-ground implementation of all project activities in close coordination to a) project implementing team in Kandahar b) NRC project teams and c) the EZ Kar implementing partner to be identified by the IDLG. The PSD Project Coordinator – Kandahar will collect and report information, supervise staff, plan and manage the field activities, develop information networks with partner organizations, and other stakeholders at Kandahar level and as well as at the regional level. S/he will closely work with operations colleagues to ensure efficient and effective support to programme and project development, implementation and closure while maintaining strong internal controls. S/he would also closely monitor and facilitate the evaluation of results and impacts in close coordination with the Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (PMEAL) team to facilitate shared programme learning.
- Provide Programme Leadership and Oversight
- In close collaboration with the PSD Project Manager – Kabul, lead the diversification and growth of Cordaid’s Economic development portfolio in the area of private sector development with a focus on quality and impact, by:
- Building and strengthening economic development through active networking at the region, and
- Effective communication of Cordaid competencies and track record in delivering private sector development and projects efficiently and effectively.
- Conduct regular field visits to beneficiaries and SMEs to monitor the progress of project on the ground and ensure required implementation support.
- Job Responsibilities
- Supervise and manage implementation activities
- Prepare weekly and monthly plans for staff he/she directly manages;
- Manage the day to day implementation of the project, in close coordination with project staff operations and programme staff.
- Make sure that activities are going on as per the given plans, procedures and manuals.
- Make sure that all staff are trained as per the DevCo. implementation Manual in close coordination with the experts;
- Prepare progress reports on weekly, monthly, quarterly basis and ad-hoc reports for Project Manager – RAWNAQ.
- Manage all issues related to the program at the provincial level;
- Perform any other tasks required by Project Manager – Kabul.
- Local coordination
- Develop an information network across Kandahar city.
- Maintain regular and on-going communication with the EZ Kar and IDLG teams/ government authorities in Kandahar and in the district levels.
- Maintain a good relationship with local stakeholder and provide timely information, obtain project confirmation report from relevant government departments.
- Develop and Maintain functional linkage with government directorates for businesses, licensing, authorization agencies and leading players such as (banks etc.)
- External Relations
- Represent Cordaid’s RAWNAQ’s project across the stakeholders in Kandahar. Work as a focal point to the concerned government organizations/MOIC etc.
- Facilitate and participate in external meetings with partner NGOs, stakeholders and government authorities at provincial level and provide timely reports on any potential issues/obstacles with concrete recommendation to Project Manager.
- Build Effective Programmes and Projects
- Build well-functioning project management team in the area of DevCo/RAWNAQ.
- Develop and Maintain Pools of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) that are potential for the programme and that can be served by the project.
- Analyse trends and identify issues within the programmatic and operational environment on the basis of regular updates from DevCo. programme, relevant clusters and other sources.
- Utilize data and analyses project information in order to improve methodologies to achieve program objectives effectively.
- Ensure timely information on progress and results is available by compiling, organizing, analysing, monitoring, and preparing data for situation reports, fact sheets, donor reports, briefing notes, and other reporting and communications products, including pictures and videos.
- Undertake regular field visits to gather information on results related to DevCo/RAWNAQ activities to ensure that all relevant data from the field is captured, documented and reported in a timely and results-based manner.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with assigned project staff and key stakeholders (beneficiaries, facilitating partners, local and national government officials, NGOs, etc.), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Preparing and implementing project plans that include clear objectives, realistic timelines and key performance indicators.
- ensuring timely and accurate tracking of results, analysis of inputs versus outputs and outcomes, and effective results-based reporting.
- Ensure effective risk assessment and management of programmes and projects.
- Decide, plan and organize internal meetings, retreats, teleconferences etc. to ensure regular communication with colleagues, clients, partners and other counterparts at provincial level.
- Manage Programme Resources
- Enforce management of resources in accordance with Cordaid standards of ethics, integrity and financial sustainability.
- Stimulate teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing clear directions, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently at provincial level.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both women and men, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Plan, conduct and/or respond to Cordaid performance evaluation reviews and surveys.
- Support Effective Security in the Field
- Work closely with the Cordaid’s Security Advisor to ensure that security policies, procedures, practices and capacities support “direct facilitation and implementation” in the field taking into account the need to deliver quality services to people, families and communities while facilitating “Duty of Care” for Cordaid staff.
- Work closely with communities supported by programme and project implemented by Cordaid in developing effective mechanisms to prevent and resolve (potential) conflicts and harm to Cordaid staff in an expedient and effective manner.
- Prevent incidents through “community acceptance” and resolve incidents through “community engagement”.
- Contribute to Knowledge Management and Innovation
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure Cordaid is continually incorporating best practice approaches in Country Office operations.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building and, contribute to relevant Communities of Experts and Communities of Practice accordingly.
- Undertake other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager- Kabul.
The successful delivery of results by the Regional PSD Coordinator directly impacts the performance of programmes and projects implemented by Cordaid as well as its reputation as an effective partner in achieving positive results that lead to flourishing communities in fragile settings
- Education/Experience/Language requirements
- (Preferred) Master’s or higher degree in Private Sector Development, economic development, social science, Business Administration or Management and at least 6 years of work experience.
- (Minimum) Bachelor’s degree in Private Sector Development, economic development, social science, Business Administration or Management and at least 8 years of work experience.
- Good capacity building and management skills, including human resource and financial management, communications and intercultural cooperation skills
- A networker, diplomatic and results oriented, with the ability to work under stressful and time bound project conditions.
- Flexible and capable of working in a stressful context.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English language.
- Good oral and written communication skills in Dari or Pashto language.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modelling behaviour.
- Ability to clearly and convincingly communicate ideas and concepts in writing and orally.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations.
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with International Organizations, and IDLG and other partners to promote partnerships and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
- Core Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal, co-ordination and negotiation skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, creativity and innovation, learning, accountability, planning and organization, results orientation, teamwork and technological solutions.
- Functional Competencies
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in Cordaid and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Good knowledge of best practices in urban development.
- Good knowledge of the regulatory framework and best practices in the urban development.
- Good knowledge in project management (from design to implementation to closure, incl. evaluation).
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
Please submit your CV and cover letter (in one pdf file), with the position name and vacancy number in your email subject or otherwise your email will be rejected from system.
Please note that applications received after the closing date and without Subject line will not be given consideration. Only shortlisted candidates whose application meets the above criteria will be contacted for test/interview.
Note: Only application send to below address will be considered. Applications send to any other address even within the organization cannot be considered.