- Salary Offer As per company salary scale
- Years of Experience 3 years
- Number of Vacancies: 8
- Contract Duration 12 month
- Contract Type Service Contract
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference 2400454
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period Not Specified
- Education Bachelor's Degree
- close Date February 21, 2024
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
FAO Afghanistan is investing across all 34 provinces, in resilience reinforcing actions that focus on protecting agriculture livelihoods and local ecosystems, boosting local production of nutritious foods and cash-incomes, and safeguarding critical agriculture sectoral development gains achieved over the past couple of decades through revitalizing rural markets and economy. In 2024-2026, FAO will continue to implement emergency and longer-term, resilience-building projects and programmes in the context of the UN Strategic Framework for Afghanistan (UNSFA) and the Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan.
There are a total of eight (8) positions, one position in each duty station: Bamyan, Gardez, Herat, Jalalabad, Kabul, Kandahar, Kunduz, and Mazar-e-Sharif.
The incumbent will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Afghanistan. S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Head of the Regional Office, who will be responsible for all day-to-day supervision and under the technical guidance of the Team Leader, Water Resource and Irrigation Team. The performance evaluation will be done by the Team Leader, Water Resource and Irrigation Team.
The Regional On-farm Water Management Assistant will provide relevant technical assistance for the efficient implementation of Water and Resilience Services.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Carry out the walk-through survey with the relevant WRI team members to collect the data needed to prepare the design and sub-project proposal of the selected OFWM schemes.
- Work closely with the survey team to collect the needed technical inputs for topographical surveys of the selected OFWM irrigation schemes.
- In close coordination with other team members, decide on the location, type, and length of the irrigation schemes for improvement and coordinate with the survey unit before the technical survey.
- Proceed with the economically and technically feasible designs of the OFWM schemes as per FAO standards and design manuals.
- Prepare Bills of Quantities for smooth implementation of the proposed irrigation schemes.
- Prepare BoQ as per the rate analysis norms and the prevailing local market rates.
- Provide a detailed list of the required machinery, equipment, and personnel for the timely implementation of the sub-projects.
- Prepare a detailed and realistic implementation plan for the designed sub-projects, keeping in mind the climatic conditions, remoteness, and technicality of the project following the available resources for the project implementation.
- Design and prepare sub-project proposals for On-farm Water Management schemes.
- Conduct training for the stakeholders and local community on on-farm irrigation water management and canal maintenance.
- Conduct training on canal operation and structural calibration of the regulating structures.
- Perform any other project-relevant activity assigned by the head of the WRI team and the FAOR.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree (Bachelor’s) in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Irrigation Engineering or Agriculture Engineering, or other related areas.
- A minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in water resource and irrigation engineering with UN and I/NGOs.
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and the local languages (Pashto and/or Dari).
- National of Afghanistan.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Sound extensive knowledge of Technical, Agriculture, and social data collection for On-farm Water Management.
- Having the ability to review extra work or variations order requests and provide recommendations to the line supervisor for further processing.
- Having the skill of using standard processes and tracking time-to-time regional OFWM activities.
- Having the skill of crop water requirement calculation and analyses.
- A competent team player.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills and apply them in the working environment.
- Must have worked in hardship areas.
- Experience with the UN will be an added advantage.
- Proficient in the use of standard office applications (e.g., Microsoft Office) and other productivity engineering tools.
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills;
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application;
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile;
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
- If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT