- Salary Offer According to organization salary scale
- Experience At least 4 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration 6 months ( extendable)
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference KBL_077
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period Unspecified
- Close Date September 30, 2021
- Education Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master degree in relevant discipline (international studies, development, humanitarian response, political science, monitoring and evaluation
About ACTED and REACH Initiative:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
ACTED manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. REACH’s purpose is to provide granular data, timely information, and in-depth analysis to support the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts. The work of the REACH Initiative directly feeds into aid response and decision-making by providing accessible and precise information on the humanitarian situation of crisis-affected populations.
REACH Initiative has been present in Afghanistan since 2016, providing a growing evidence base for humanitarian response planning through sectoral, multi-sectoral and area-based assessments as well as information management services.
Anyone employed by or working for ACTED shall commit to act according to ACTED’s Code of Conduct, which outlines the expected behavior of ACTED teams. To ensure that funds are used exclusively for humanitarian purposes and in accordance with donors’ compliance requirements, all job / internship / volunteering offers are subject to the condition that potential staff names do not appear on anti-terrorism lists, in line with ACTED’s anti-terrorism policy. To this end, your data shall be automatically processed.”
ACTED is seeking an experienced candidate, who has previously managed teams and conducted assessments and research in a humanitarian setting. Under the supervision of the REACH Research Manager and Country Coordinator, he/she will be the head of a research cycle. The candidate should be comfortable representing the REACH Initiative with Cluster Leadership and be able to coordinate with a range of senior external partners.
This role includes oversight and technical implementation of research design, data collection operations, data processing, cleaning, and analysis, production of outputs and deliverables, and external engagement with relevant external stakeholders in the humanitarian and development community, donors, and government officials for the ES/NFI research cycle. The ES/NFI Research cycle focuses on Shelter and NFI – specific programming designed to inform both medium and long-term Cluster Strategy. These ES/NFI Assessments currently involve rental market assessments, rapid ES/NFI needs assessments, Post-Distribution Monitoring (PDMs) of ES/NFI assistance and technical examinations of the winterization responses. The Senior Assessment Officer will also be responsible for related logistics, partner coordination, reporting and finance requirements. As part of the REACH Afghanistan team, he/she will play a key role in the development and implementation of the country strategy for their research unit.
Under the line-management of the REACH Research Manager, the Senior Assessment Officer will fulfill the role as the technical lead for their respective research cycle, providing the tool design, partner coordination, data analysis, and output production for the entire research cycle. It will include the following functions:
- Staff management
- Coordinate assigned activities across the assessment, data, and operations department (including field staff in all regions of Afghanistan) and keep the Senior Management Team (SMT) updated about process and delays.
- Plan, implement, and follow-up of all assigned assessment activities conducted in country;
- Train assessment staff on assessment tools and sampling methodologies for data collection;
- Research Development and Output Production
- Design the methodology and tools associated with each assigned assessment, including the drafting of assessment Terms of Reference (ToRs);
- In coordination with the data team, design data analysis plans to analyse all data collection and consolidate all analyses and conclusions from assigned assessments;
- In coordination with data team, field teams, and external stakeholders, develop quantitative and qualitative tools and associated sampling and data collection methodologies for assessments;
- Develop accurate assessment outputs using Microsoft and Adobe software (specifically InDesign), ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information provided in both technical factsheets and detailed written reports;
- Develop dissemination strategies to ensure the usefulness and impact of the unit programmes and research;
- Engage with in-country senior management and international HQ on research design, tool development, data analysis, output production, and external coordination.
- Project/Research Cycle Management
- Keep track of all progress and delays throughout unit projects and research cycles;
- Ensure relevant stakeholders and partners are engaged in assessment design and planning to ensure usefulness of products and maximum project impact;
- Draft English-language reports for donors and humanitarian focal points as product deliverables, including detailed written reports and technical factsheets using Adobe InDesign;
- Monitor output achievement, project expenditure and ensure a timely completion of the projects from a programme management perspective.
- External Engagement
- In coordination with the SMT, present outputs and findings at sectoral and inter-sectoral fora, as well as the wider humanitarian aid community in Afghanistan.
- In coordination with the SMT, represent REACH at sectoral and inter-sectoral fora.
- In coordination with the SMT, act as the REACH ES/NFI Cluster focal point.
The Senior Assessment Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to ACTED and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with ACTED.
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master degree in relevant discipline (international studies, development, humanitarian response, political science, monitoring and evaluation, etc.);
- At least 4 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings
- Knowledge of the Humanitarian Programme Cycle (HPC) and humanitarian coordination structures
- Strong coordination and organizational skills
- Familiarity with quantitative assessments and methodologies
- Previous experience in survey and tool design
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Experience in analysing either quantitative and/or qualitative data for analysis.
- Proven knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, to include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as SPSS, STATA, and/or R;
- Demonstrated ability to write analytical research reports using analysis of data
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for reporting and external coordination;
- Excellent ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe InDesign Software for output production
- Prior field experience required.
- Written and spoken fluency in English required;
- Ability to multitask with tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and manage people remotely
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment;
- Previous experience with remote coordination/ management
- Advanced skills in SPSS and/or R, STATA or other statistical analysis software are considered and asset
- Knowledge of qualitative assessments, methodologies, and analysis and related analytical software (e.g. NVivo) are considered and asset
- Knowledge and experience with GIS software are considered and asset
Those who fulfill the above mentioned criteria should send their updated CV to below submission Email:
Kindly mentioned Vacancy number, position title along with province name in subject line or your application may not be considered.
Please do not send heavy size documents (i.e. Tazkira, Education documents, and work certificates)
Only shortlisted candidates will be call for the next stage of recruitment.
No CV will received after closing date.