- Salary Offer According to ACTED's Salary Scale
- Address Mazar-i-Sharif
- Years of Experience 2-3 years' work experiences with industry standard mapping tools such as Arc GIS and QGIS
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 6 Months (Extendable)
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference KBL_021
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Information Systems, GIS, or other relevant discipline
- close Date March 25, 2023
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last kilometer: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. ACTED develops and implements programs that target the most vulnerable amongst populations that have suffered from conflict, natural disaster, or socio-economic hardship. ACTED’s approach looks beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihoods reconstruction and sustainable development. ACTED is active in 35 countries and implements more than 495 projects a year reaching over 11 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
ACTED is working in 14 north, north eastern and East & West provinces of Afghanistan. These provinces are affected by natural and man-made disasters. ACTED is providing relief and emergency assistance to the vulnerable population affected by displacements, conflicts or natural disasters, in the field of agriculture, NFI, shelters, WASH and food security
In coordination with the REACH GIS specialist, the GIS Officer will be responsible for GIS mapping, map digitization, training of field staff in focus group mapping and maintain and clean spatial data in Geodatabase and shapefiles.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set regular communication with the assigned Research Cycles’ manager, Project Officers and Assessment Officers.
- Put the GIS specialist in CC of map or other GIS task requests
- Design and develop maps as required to support humanitarian needs assessment activities
- Geoprocessing and creation of spatial data and updating of spatial databases as needed
- Double check the datasets and spatial databases for correcting errors or missing data
- Ensure to file the maps, maps projects, maps data and projects spatial data properly, to be available anytime needed
- Digitization of hand drawn spatial information
- Satellite imagery analysis
- Contribute to reports with maps and other visuals.
- Follow technical guidance and standard operating procedures for all tasks
Support spatial data collection and processing in the field:
- Train enumerators on the use of mobile data collection practices, tools, and processes
- Train enumerators on the use of printed maps and participatory mapping
- Follow-up on technical issues pertaining to data collection in Afghanistan
- Provide timely and accurate updates to GIS Specialist of any changes or challenges in data collection
- Provide support to other REACH team members as required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Information Systems, GIS, or other relevant discipline
- Previous experience with industry standard mapping tools such as ArcGIS and QGIS
- Familiarity with advanced geoprocessing techniques and imagery analysis
- Good experience in database and spreadsheet software (such as MS Excel, MS Access, SQL and other database tools)
- Previous work experience in the humanitarian aid system is an asset
- Programming knowledge (Python, R) is an asset
- Good organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively in terms of map development and automation of geoprocessing
- Flexibility and adaptability to ever-changing needs and responsibilities
- Ability to work independently
- Fluency in English required
Those who fulfill the above mentioned criteria should send their updated CV to below submission Email:
Kindly mention Vacancy number, position title along with province name in subject line or your application may not be considered.
Please do not send heavy size documents (i.e. Tazkira, Education documents, and work certificates)
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for the next stage of recruitment.
No CV will be received after closing date.