- Salary Offer As per NTA salary scale policy
- Experience 4 Years
- Number of Vacancies 7
- Contract Duration Open Ended
- Contract Type service contract
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference Mail-ta-286
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date June 12, 2021
About Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and livestock (MAIL):
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities. The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development to communities.
The Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is launching the Emergency Agriculture & Food Supply Project (EATS) in response to the COVID-19 crisis. The Project objective is to support critical food supply chains and create short-term economic opportunities. The Project includes three components: (A) Productive agricultural water systems; (B) Critical food supply chain management; and (C) Project management. The Project will be implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) and financed by grants from the International Development Association (World Bank) and the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF).
The Project design is based on the experience and knowledge acquired from several on-going or recently closed projects, including: On-Farm Water Management Project (OFWMP), National Horticulture and Livestock Project (NHLP), Afghanistan Agricultural Improvement Project (AAIP), all three projects implemented by MAIL and Irrigation Rehabilitation and Development Project (IRDP) implemented by MEW. The Project will use a community driven development approach through the Community Development Councils (CDC) building on the experience of the Citizens Charter Afghanistan Project implemented by MRRD, among others.
A Project Management Unit (PMU) staffed with National Technical Assistance (NTA) is financed by the Project to support the national, provincial and district offices of MAIL for its implementation. The PMU is led by a Project Director based in Kabul.
The main input of the Design Specialist is to carry out the designs of irrigation schemes and watersheds (Component A/EATS), His/her main input will be in conducting analysis of survey data, cost estimation and design of watershed and irrigation schemes taking into account the technical and site consideration while deciding on the types of technology to be applied. The design engineers will also contribute in developing the project implementation and technical manuals (If required).
The regional design specialist will work under direct supervision of Regional Manager and Senior Design Specialist (Core team) who will be responsible and accountable for the right use and delivery of the outputs. He/she will work as a team member with the regional project team (Technical surveyors, agronomists and water-management specialists), DAILs, extension and NRM officials and local communities in the project sites. His/her performance will be evaluated by the Regional Manager with inputs from Sr Design Specialist
Duties & Responsibilities:
Carry out walk through survey for the recommended watersheds and irrigation schemes with relevant team members and community representatives/CDCs for collecting the data needed to prepare designs of the selected watersheds and Irrigation Scheme.
2. Work closely with survey team and provide guides to gather the required technical inputs on topographic, cross-sectional, and longitudinal surveys of the selected watersheds and irrigation schemes;
3. Design of irrigation schemes and watersheds based on technical manuals developed for the project to make sure the prepared design is economically viable, technically feasible and socially acceptable;
4. Improvements of technical specifications for the designed sub- projects with close coordination of field supervisor.
5. Gather inputs from water management specialist, agronomist and developed water balance.
6. In close coordination with CDCs/IAs, decide on improvements package for both irrigation scheme rehabilitation and watershed management planning.
7. Prepare Bill of Quantities for smooth implementation of the proposed watersheds and irrigation sub-projects;
8. Provide suitable estimates based on BoQ using the GIRoA and Local market rates.
9. Provide detail list of the machinery, equipment and personnel required for timely implementation of the sub projects with consideration of implementation modalities (through CDC or contractor);
10. Prepare detailed and realistic implementation plan for the designed sub-projects, keeping in mind climatic conditions, remoteness, and technicality of the project in accordance to the available resources for the project implementation;
11. Coordinate all technical activities with site supervisors and conduct joint site visit to make sure that the construction/rehabilitation of irrigation infrastructure is according to the engineering standards, project technical specification, design drawing and site condition
12. Based on site requirement revision and modification of design drawings during implementation
13. Preparation of As-built drawings for each irrigation scheme (If required).
14. Provides guidance, mentoring and advice to project supervisors for smooth implementation.
15. Do the cost analysis (semi-annual) based on the market value for construction material with close coordination of field supervisors.
1. Based on the emergency status of the project, the candidate may be required to travel or shifted to other regions temporarily for any assigned tasks.
Perform any other project relevant activity assigned by the senior design specialist or top management.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Irrigation engineering with at least 5 years of professional experience in the design of irrigation schemes or related irrigation infrastructures with reputable organizations;
2. Experience in designing of watersheds or irrigation infrastructures will be a distinct advantage;
3. Experience of working closely with government counterparts and providing training/capacity building;
4. Full command on design software e.g. AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Google Earth, MS Office.
5. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
6. Fluent in Dari and Pashtu languages;
Good English communication skills in forms of writing and speaking
Afghanistan, Baghlan, Balkh, Kandahar, Herat
Interested Afghans with the required qualifications and experience should submit their applications electronically through Email address
While submitting your applications please mention the Title of the position (Re-announced Design Specialist) (Province) plus Vacancy Number in the subject of the e-mail; please do NOT submit any other supporting documentation or educational certificates with your application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for written test or interview.
Note: please do not forget to mention the province name in subject line of your email