- Salary Offer As per Organization Salary scale
- Address Kandahar
- Years of Experience A minimum of 2 years of non-profit or NGO work experience within international humanitarian assistance programs.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 31-Dec-2023 (Extendable)
- Contract Type Long Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference VA-2023-0011
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Baccalaureate, Bachelor is preferred
- close Date March 27, 2023
About Norwegian Refugee Council:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organization helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks. NRC requires staff members who travel on an international contract to the field to undergo an medical examination with our medical provider. Employees must produce a Health Clearance Certificate before departure stating that there are no relevant health concerns. If staff are unable to provide this, NRC reserves the right to terminate the Contract of Employment.
Radio Operator role will assist to operate and monitor UHF, HF radio systems, vehicle and personnel tracking systems, CCTV, e-mail, vehicle booking systems, satellite telephones, mobile telephone and internal phone systems, in English and local languages.
The Radio Operator will send message through bulk SMS system to all staff when there is an incident, also he/she will conduct headcount if necessary. Radio Room will be a connection with staff, and staff could get in touch if necessary.
You can read more about this position at Job Description & NRC Grade Structure
- Monitor and communicate with NRC vehicles and staff in the field, other NRC offices and appropriate partners.
- Immediately report any potential threats to NRC staff, assets, and facilities.
- Immediately report emergencies, accidents, and loss of contact with NRC staff/vehicles
- Log all transmitted and received messages according to procedures.
- Log all vehicles’ movements according to procedures.
- Conduct periodic equipment inspections and tests to ensure that operations standards are met, and report all needs for repairs/maintenance.
- Coordinate radio related actions of locating and contacting staff that are missing or in distress.
- Ensure that messages are well copied/passed to all people concerned and records the messages on the radio logbook.
- Monitor and register any movement, of people, vehicles, and cargo, (departure, arrival, number of passengers, route taken, standard contact points or at approximately every 20 minutes) and inform the line manager of any delays.
- Supervise and monitor the VHF radio and SAT phone allocation book (handsets) and register the loan of handsets to all staff, follow it up on a regular basis.
- Radio Operator should be aware of every single HSS event or issue that happens during filed movement and duty related to field and brief staff before going on field mission.
- Radio Operator should check the Radio Room’s emails at least every ten minutes and note and monitor All TAR movements.
- Radio Operator is responsible for conducting an accurate and complete handover briefing, including all information that occurred during her/his duty or will impact a replacing (taking over) entity’s duty. The handover note should be passed on to the person replacing you and your immediate supervisor. Refer to Operator SOP for details.
- Radio Operator is responsible for drafting and distributing SMS announcements to all staff at the request of a member of the security department and announce the same information to all the drivers via VHF/UHF, and HF/Cell phone if VHF/UHF is out of range. SMSs should follow this format: “Security Alert: 0000hrs; Date; Incident; Advisory.”
- Give regular feedback to the line manager and report directly any issue or incident.
- Fulfilling any other related tasks that may be assigned by supervisors, NRC Security Department.
- Responsible to communicate any problem they face to their immediate supervisor.
Generic professional competencies
- A minimum of 2 years of non-profit or NGO work experience within international humanitarian assistance programs.
- High school education – 12th grade Completion, Bachelor preferred.
- Good knowledge in communications technology, including, satellite communications, cell phone, etc.
- Good knowledge of city, province of the assigned location, and much preferably Southern region, ability to read and interpret maps and operate Google maps or similar.
- Able to structure his or her thoughts and make an accurate and complete summary of a situation, under time pressure, at any time of day or night.
- Must display intelligent ability to arrange vehicle moves to make best use of available assets and time.
- High attention to detail and ability to neatly complete assigned paper work.
- Honest and trustworthy.
- Proven communication, interpersonal, representation, negotiation and skills.
- Computer skills – database knowledge essential, wireless networking.
- Trouble shooting’ skill with electronic, radio, GPS and computer systems.
- Well presented, confident, and sensible.
- No other employment is allowed, operator may be required to work at any time of day or night and on any day of the week, at short notice assigned by line manager.
- Strong written and verbal English essential.
- Fluent of the local languages.
- Strategic thinking
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale.
- Smart Phone with Top up Credit card with internet package on monthly basis.
- NRC will cover staff plus four (4) depended for medical insurance.
- One time Eid Bonus per year
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law.
How to Apply:
Interested qualified candidates can apply by clicking on below link:
Click here to ‘Use Online Application Form’
Note: All applicants are supposed to create and properly fill online CV profile in the Oracle site, example (personal, education, experience background etc..) and only attaching CV will not be enough.
Only those who closely meet the job requirement will be informed.
USE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM STATED IN “SUBMISSION GUIDELINE”