- Years of Experience A minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in Administration, Finance, Project Management, or related area.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 2 years
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference 4AFBFM0706RP
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education A minimum academic degree s econdary, technical or vocational school
- close Date October 13, 2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Programme Assistant reports directly to the Head of the Field Office. As a team member, the Programme Assistant provides support in the organization and delivery of programme activities/ projects carrying out a range of office support and administrative functions.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Assistant will be responsible for the following duties: Long Description
- Produce documents, publications, and correspondence across the Education, Culture, and Communication and Information sections in complete and final form.
- Search, locate, compile, review and update information and data used in the development of documents, work plans, and budgets.
- Ensure accuracy and compliance with the approved amounts; enter data in, and run reports from, automated systems in order to support the preparation of regular and ad-hoc budgetary/ financial updates, reporting on programme/ project delivery, statistics and/ or projections for use and scrutiny by the supervisor(s) or responsible manager.
- Organize official meetings, events, and workshops by booking venues and equipment and providing other related logistical support.
- Produce regular and ad-hoc reports on outstanding commitments and follow-ups and alert team members of outstanding payments, timeframes, and bottlenecks.
- Determine the importance and priority of documents received and follow-up, draft correspondence and emails; review, proofread and edit outgoing correspondence according to standard practices and protocol ensuring proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation; recommend changes/ corrections, and handle arrangement for translations of documents.
- Provide administrative support for fundraising initiatives.
- Prepare a variety of administrative documentation using examples or templates.
- Initiate administrative procedures and ensure follow-up, including payment follow-up, in collaboration with the respective unit heads.
- Inform team members of specific administrative processes and related procedures to support work planning and timely and coordinated execution of work.
- Perform general administrative tasks such as leave and attendance recording; maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for the work unit and assist in providing software and office equipment support.
- Provide administrative support for the events; collate/ format information and data for presentation in final form; inform participants; organize the distribution of documentation; collect minutes/ information/ documentation and prepare associated documentation.
- Receive, analyze, sort, register, and distribute correspondence and documents; update and maintain large distribution lists and process requests for data and reports. Provide guidance to short-term/ temporary staff on general office processes and procedures, automated systems, computer applications, etc.
Programme logistic support
- Organize official travel in conjunction with meetings, events, and workshops; make travel arrangements; track and prepare itinerary and agenda; facilitate travel by providing/ clarifying information and preparing the necessary documentation such as visa applications.
- Maintain information systems and databases in both physical and electronic media by recording, updating, and retrieving information, documentation, and data. Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Respond to inquiries and follow up on routine outstanding matters; route information and queries as appropriate; provide information to supervisor(s) and colleagues; make appointments, receive visitors and take telephone calls, answering inquiries and/or referring them to the specialist/ service concerned.
- Liaise with various internal services to obtain additional information/ clarifications.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- A minimum academic degree s econdary, technical or vocational school
- A minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in Administration, Finance, Project Management, or related area.
- Experience in international organizations or United Nations agencies.
Fluency in oral and written English
- First-level university degree, specialized training in Administration, Finance, Project Management, or related field.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, strong service orientation, and ability to deal efficiently with partners at different levels.
- Ability to analyze, interpret financial data, and monitor budgets.
- Good organizational and coordination skills, ability to take the initiative, establish priorities, and monitor own work plans.
- Ability to work as part of a team and provide efficient, quality, and timely support and capacity to work efficiently under pressure.
- Sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and database packages.
- Knowledge of the system ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning).
- Knowledge of local languages (Dari, Pashto).
- Knowledge of the other UNESCO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.