- Salary Offer As per MCA Salary Scale
- Years of Experience 1-2 years of relevant experience in administrative work experience and strong technical knowledge of basic programs and financial management.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 12 Months
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference MCA084-2024
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelors in administration, public affairs, social science, or related degrees.
- close Date February 26, 2024
About Mercy Corps:
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build a more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives. Recognizing both the great potential and the complex challenges faced by Afghanistan, since 1986 Mercy Corps has been implementing a range of humanitarian assistance and development programs tailored to the specific needs of the country and of those communities where we work.
Presently, we work in three provinces, with a portfolio of programs aimed at promoting sustainable agriculture and natural resource-based livelihoods, combating natural resource degradation, expanding access to vocational training, providing access to water and sanitation facilities, promoting Hygiene and providing emergency response MCPA and winterization.
EmpowerED (Elevating Trainer Expertise in Afghanistan) program, funded by GiZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer internationale Zusammenarbeit) aims to increase access for vulnerable young people, including women, to needs-based quality vocational training within in-company apprenticeships or other on-the-job training opportunities. Implemented over 20 months, the program targets master trainers from private sector companies across Kabul, Parwan and Herat and establishes master trainer courses based on in-depth market assessment. The program will be implemented together with two national partners.
The successful candidate Mercy Corps seeks for, will lead by example, be proactive and take initiative without being asked, possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, have good judgment for strategic decisions, manage his/her time wisely in order to meet deadlines and work according to the workplan, demonstrate excellent stewardship and compliance with Mercy Corps regulations. Maintaining a strong cooperating relationship with other MC departments is crucial. He/she will have the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as in a training capacity and demonstrate an ability to multi-task. Strong motivational and influencing skills to engage the Senior Leadership Team and all MCA staff towards a transparent and accountable culture guided by Mercy Corps mission and vision. S/he will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
Mercy Corps will give preference to female candidates who meet the job requirements and possess the necessary skills, background, and experience.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
The Program Assistant will be primarily responsible for supporting program teams in Herat, Kabul and Parwan provinces. S/he will work closely with the field teams and other departments. This position will be responsible for supporting the program team to coordinate with different departments including Operations, Finance, and MEL, providing administrative work including partners’ coordination and follow-up, program filing, organizing meetings, meeting minutes, tracking and consolidating of the program-related document, and ensuring sound coordination and information sharing.
- Assist the Program Manager in all tasks that facilitate the achievement of program deliverables.
- Prepare and track all procurement processes with any paperwork related to program administration and implementation, including but not limited to (Purchase Requests, Purchase Orders, Service Agreements, Contracts, and Payment Requests), and follow up on the invoices from the vendors.
- Follow up with partners on needed support and documentation.
- Manage the program filing system for all activities and ensure that information is organized according to the reporting and auditing needs of the program. Ensure required levels of confidentiality.
- Support program teams in getting Approval Authority Matrix (AAM) signatures and approvals.
- Responsible for the smooth operations of program functions including photocopies, and financial and operations documents.
- Responsible for filing and organizing program documentation in a clear and accessible manner.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating team calendar and team meeting documentation; in addition to maintaining updated program internal trackers.
- Provide a verbal and written translation for the program, as necessary.
- Assist in and facilitate workshops, trainings, and meetings preparation which includes material preparation, copying, and supply purchasing.
- Coordinate closely with the Project Manager to ensure proper logistics, administration, and human resources of the program are conducted within MC policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Initiate and track procurement processes for purchase requests, purchase orders, and payment requests in coordination with the Procurement Department.
- Must have strong organizational skills with the capacity to help contribute to developing and enhancing internal systems and processes.
- Adhere to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ability to travel and follow up with other offices on administrative matters, as necessary.
- Organizing and managing schedules and calendars for the team.
- Attend meetings and record notes and messages for the team and senior level.
- Work with the program team to manage the program filing system for all activities and ensure that information is organized according to the reporting and auditing needs of the program. Ensure required levels of confidentiality.
- Coordinate closely with the Program Coordinator, relevant to administrative and finance to ensure proper logistics, administration, and human resources of the program are conducted within MC policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Support the team to document all the daily monitoring activities as per Mercy Corps’ requirements.
- Performs any other duty assigned by the supervisor.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our program participants and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports directly to: EmpowerED Program Manager
- Works directly with: Operations, CARM, MEL, HR, Finance, Operations Manager, Procurement team, Security.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelors in administration, public affairs, social science, or related degrees.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in administrative work experience and strong technical knowledge of basic programs and financial management.
- Extensive knowledge and work experience in Afghanistan, and preferably in the Western and Central Provinces.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to achieve cooperation and agreement amongst diverse groups with competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently and with a calm attitude.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Honest and committed to compliance with all policies and procedures in all aspects of work.
- Good strategic thinking and planning skills with eagerness for innovation.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English and Dari are required, Pashto is desired.
- Good computer skills in basic office programs.
To apply for this position, please submit your CV and Cover letter, with the vacancy number and position title (MCA084-2024 Application for Program Aassistant) in the subject line, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submission is the close of business on 26-February-2024 applications received after the closing date and without a subject line will not be given consideration so, please make sure you put the vacancy number and title on the subject of your email, or your application will be disregarded by the system.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for the written test/interview.
Note: Please note that MCA will provide office space and facilities only and is not providing any lodging facilities for its Team Members/Employees in HQ and field offices and it is the employee’s responsibility to arrange the lodgings for themselves if they work in a field office other than their home province.
Ps. Females are highly encouraged to apply for the MCA Open positions.