- Salary Offer According to organization salary scale
- Years of Experience At least 3 years of relevant or similar working experience, particularly in an international organization in a developing country with a similar operational/programmatic scale.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration One year/ Extendable
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference NR/KBL/05/23/024
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Minimum of bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to M&E e.g. development, sociology, statistics, etc.
- close Date June 1, 2023
About Aga Khan Foundation:
The Aga Khan Foundation, Afghanistan (AKF (Afg)) is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of international, private, non-denominational development agencies working to improve living conditions and opportunities for people in some of the poorest parts of the developing world. The Network’s organizations have individual mandates that range from the fields of health and education to architecture, rural development and promotion of private-sector enterprise and institutions that seek to empower communities and individuals, usually in disadvantaged circumstances, to improve living conditions and opportunities.
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a non-denominational international development agency established in 1967 by His Highness the Aga Khan. Its mission is to develop and promote creative solutions to problems that impede social development, primarily in Asia and East Africa. Created as a private, non-profit foundation under Swiss law, it has branches and independent affiliates in 19 countries.
AKF seeks to provide sustainable solutions to long-term problems of poverty, hunger, illiteracy, and ill health. In Afghanistan, AKF works with rural communities in mountainous, remote or resource poor areas to improve quality of life in the areas of natural resource management, market development, governance, education, and health.
The National R&D Officer will be responsible to support the project and MERL team in conducting different research and M&E studies. She/he will be mainly responsible for tools development, translation, finalization, ToT, piloting, data collection, data management and reporting. She/he will be conducting field monitoring visits and traveling to various program regions. She/he will also be supporting both the project and MERL teams with logistics and administration as well. The incumbent is expected to help create materials used in pilot and field experiments, including survey tools and other materials that would be necessary for social research and program evaluation. Also, s/he will assist in doing initial analysis of qualitative and quantitative data using relevant software, and merging data from different sources. The incumbent should also assist in conducting field research, including assisting in training and supervising enumerators and the preparation of different tools that are rolled out in the field. Also, s/he with contribute to writing study reports as and when required.
The position for the job holder will not be funded by any one particular grant and that s/he should expect to work on more than one project or program at any one time. Additionally, job holder may spend up to approximately 50% of her/his working time focusing on research and evaluation, but up to 50% on a second area (e.g. program design and development including M&E). This is to ensure that the Unit and its staff are flexible and can adapt as funding and programs change; and it ensures that MERL staff have a broad and professional understanding of MERL, which will enable them to progress their career within AKF-A. Where individuals wish to specialize, this will also be supported. The position holder is also supposed to apply the 70:20:10 capacity building model in his work, where 70% of learning will be on job-learning, while 20% will be through planned capacity building opportunities within MERL as well as 10% through specific training programs for the career development of individuals.
The position is ideal for individuals who wish to further enrich their research & M&E experience while working in a pro-active learning environment.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Participates in the planning & conducting of research and development assignments including M&E studies at different levels.
• Supports the overall planning, implementation, data collection/management, analysis and reporting of the overall planned project(s) M&E and research activities as assigned.
• Technically supports the development of concept/tools, ToTs, data collection plans, administration and logistics for the R&D/M&E activities and fieldwork.
• Administers pilot tests for tools such as questionnaires and ensures ethics, and all appropriate protocols and procedures are being followed in all AKF-A R&D/M&E projects.
• Collects, compiles, tabulates & processes quantitative and qualitative data.
• Manages data and information for AKF-A’s project and program outcomes as per the committed M&E and research plans.
• Extracts & analysis data from secondary sources to respond to information needs in both the short and longer term.
• Helps compile and lead reporting activities and ensure knowledge uptakes.
• Supports the capacity building events as needed including the ToTs related to research & M&E.
• Coordinates the overall activities of research and development/M&E both at NPO and Regional levels.
• Co-leads the design and development of required M&E and research tools and materials.
• Co-leads the planning, design, implementation and reporting of assigned M&E/R&D studies.
• Supports the data management system both at NPO and regions especially using data management system related to ONA, ODK, KOBO tool and MS Access.
• Supports the tools translation, coding, categorization and display as part of the qualitative research and M&E data and information.
2. Coordination and Planning:
• Leads the overall coordination around the planning, implementation and reporting of various M&E and research activities as part of MERL’s M&E and research planning.
• In coordination with R&D and M&E teams, prepares work plans (monthly, quarterly, and yearly) and implement capacity building interventions for MERL officers at the regions.
• Regularly review and reflects upon the field monitoring reports, case studies and success stories & MSCs conducted at the regions, and support the work of the 3rd parties contracted out by AKF-A.
• Supports higher level research and M&E activities as requested.
3. Reporting and Communication:
• Supports the development and compilation of the overall research and M&E related reports.
• Co-leads and supports the need-based M&E reporting system as assigned.
• Designs, implements, and regularly updates the AFK-A’s program area districts profiles based on M&E and research plans including the sector-based DMSs and NPO-based IDMS.
• Supports higher level reporting activities as requested.
• Represents MERLU in all work across the AKDN network with professionalism and in partnership with colleagues.
• Represents MERLU at meetings, events/campaigns, and other national conferences and workshops.
• Supports the planning and implementation of various M&E and research related events and workshops.
5. Commitment to Child Safeguarding/Child Protection:
• Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects AKF-A’s commitment to protect children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policies including other relevant Safe Programming policies.
• Ensure that other key policies and approaches including ethics are adhered to.
OCCASIONAL SIGNIFICANT DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct field monitoring visits including the supervision of survey teams as requested/assigned.
• Develop data quality checks mechanisms for both quantitative and qualitative research and studies.
DECISION-MAKING & AUTHORITY
• Supervision of the survey/monitoring teams as assigned by MERL.
• Technically support the project and MERL teams in the areas of research and M&E activities as assigned.
• Minimum of bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to M&E e.g. development, sociology, statistics, etc.
• At least 3 years of relevant or similar working experience, particularly in an international organization in a developing country with a similar operational/programmatic scale.
• Fluent in English both written and spoken. The ability to speak Dari / Pashto is preferable.
• Willing to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Experience in the use of online data collection platforms, such as, ONA, ODK, KOBO Toolbox including GIS mapping.
REQUIRED CORE COMPETENCIES
• Fluent in English both written and spoken. Ability to speak Dari / Pashto is preferable.
• Quick learner, ability to learn, adapt and use the web-based data management platforms introduced and developed by the AKDN.
• Computer skills: familiar with MS Office-based applications (including Excel, ONA/ODK and Access).
Interested applicants should submit their CV along with a cover letter to Jobs.firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 01st June 2023.
• Please quote the Vacancy Number as the Subject of the e-mail when applying.
• No supporting documents (e.g., diplomas, recommendation letters, identification card(s) etc.) are required at this stage.
• Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further assessment.
• Salary scale: Grade D based on NTA Salary scale.
Aga Khan Foundation Afghanistan recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to equal opportunity and safeguarding of children, beneficiaries, partners, community members and employees in accordance with AKF(Afg)’s safeguarding policy.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Interviews shall be conducted on a rolling basis, while your details and information shared on this advertisement shall remain confidential.