- Salary Offer Grade C based on NTA salary scale
- Years of Experience At least 2-3 years’ work experience in research and evaluation.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration One year- Extendable based on fund availability
- Contract Type Short Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference NR/KBL/04/22/020
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelors’ degree in development, sociology, or any related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- close Date May 25, 2022
About Aga Khan Foundation:
The Aga Khan Foundation, Afghanistan (AKF (Afg)) is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of international, private, non-denominational development agencies working to improve living conditions and opportunities for people in some of the poorest parts of the developing world. The Network’s organizations have individual mandates that range from the fields of health and education to architecture, rural development and promotion of private-sector enterprise and institutions that seek to empower communities and individuals, usually in disadvantaged circumstances, to improve living conditions and opportunities.
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a non-denominational international development agency established in 1967 by His Highness the Aga Khan. Its mission is to develop and promote creative solutions to problems that impede social development, primarily in Asia and East Africa. Created as a private, non- profit foundation under Swiss law, it has branches and independent affiliates in 19 countries.
AKF seeks to provide sustainable solutions to long-term problems of poverty, hunger, illiteracy, and ill health. In Afghanistan, AKF works with rural communities in mountainous, remote or resource poor areas to improve quality of life in the areas of natural resource management, market development, governance, education, and health.
The incumbent coordinates collection, analysis, processing & reporting of data & assists R&D manager, and R&D specialists, in judging the validity of all forms of data obtained regarding development research and evaluation initiatives. The R&D coordinator will help work on assignments related to research on a wide range of issues, including but not limited to social norms and behaviors, public health, education, quality of life, environmental sustainability, and socio-economic development. The incumbent is expected to help create materials used in pilot and field experiments, including survey tools and other materials that would be necessary for social research and program evaluation. Also, s/he will assist in doing initial analyses of qualitative and quantitative data using R or SPSS and merging data from different sources. The incumbent should also assist in conducting field research, including assisting in training and supervising enumerators and the preparation of different tools that are rolled out in the field. Also, s/he with contribute to writing study reports as and when required.
The position for the job holder will not be funded by any one grant and that s/he should expect to work on more than one project or program at any one time. Additionally, job holder may spend up to approximately 50% of her/his working time focusing on research and evaluation, but up to 50% on a second area (e.g. program design and development including M&E). This is to ensure that the Unit and its staff are flexible and can adapt as funding and programs change; and it ensures that MERL staff have a broad and professional understanding of MERL, which will enable them to progress their career within AKF (Afg). Where individuals wish to specialize, this will also be supported. The position holder is also supposed to apply the 70:20:10 capacity building model in his work, where 70% of learning will be on job-learning, while 20% will be through planned capacity building opportunities within MERL as well as 10% through specific training programs for the career development of individuals.
The position is ideal for individuals who wish to further their research experience while working in a proactive learning environment.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Technical support:
- Participates in the planning & conduct of research and development assignments including M&E.
- Leads and coordinates(spelling) logistics for the R&D/M&E fieldwork.
- Administers pilot tests for tools such as questionnaires and ensures ethics, and all appropriate protocols and procedures are being followed in all AKF (Afg) R&D/M&E projects.
- Collects, compiles, tabulates & processes quantitative and qualitative data.
- Manages data and information for AKF (Afg) program outcomes,
- Extracts & analyzes data from secondary sources to respond to information needs in both the short and longer term.
- Helps compile and lead reporting activities and ensure knowledge uptake.
- Supports the development of colleagues.
- Coordinates the overall activities of research and development both at NPO and Regional levels.
- Co-leads the design and development of required M&E and research tools and materials.
- Co-leads the planning, design, implementation, and reporting of assigned M&E/R&D studies.
- In coordination with R&D and M&E teams, prepare work plans (monthly, quarterly, and yearly) and implement capacity building interventions for MERL officers at the regions; and
- Regularly review and reflect upon the field monitoring reports, case studies and success stories conducted at the regions, and work of the 3rd parties contracted out by AKF (Afg).
- Supports higher level research activities as requested.
- Reporting and updates:
- Develop and compile the overall research and M&E related reports.
- Design, implement, and regularly update the AFK (Afg) program area districts profiles based on M&E and research plans.
- Supports higher level reporting activities as requested.
- Represents MERLU in all work across the AKDN network with professionalism and in partnership with colleagues.
- Represent MERLU at meetings, events/campaigns, and other national conferences and workshops.
- Commitment to Child Safeguarding/ Child Protection:
- To carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects AKF (Afg)’s commitment to protecting children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Ensures that other key policies and approaches including ethics are adhered to.
OCCASIONAL SIGNIFICANT DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Any tasks assigned by the immediate supervisor or MERLU senior management.
- Regular coordination with both NPO and Regional MERLs.
DECISION MAKING AND AUTHORITY
Coordination of R&D and M&E activities within the MERLU unit and across both AKFA and the AKDN network.
Planning and execution of R&D and M&E fieldwork at the regions.
Participation in post data gathering exercises including reporting, presenting and knowledge uptake.
Use of a solutions-focused approach to work.
3. Geographical Scope
NPO and regions.
Ability to make decisions independently regarding R&D tasks.
- Bachelors’ degree in development, sociology, or any related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 2-3 years’ work experience in research and evaluation.
- To be able to travel and work in hard and remote areas.
- Knowledge of data management and data analysis software is essential,
- Knowledge of different types of research and inquiry including limitations and opportunities.
REQUIRED CORE COMPETENCIES
- Attention to details & quality control, High level of interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills e.g., oral, and written communication skills in Dari/Pashto and English.
- Creativity, Innovation, tactful.
- Result Orientation, Accurate listening, Working in remote area, good team player.
- Accountability, Honesty, Sense of timing.
- Self-confidence and ability to work independently.
Interested applicants should submit their CV along with a cover letter to Jobs.email@example.com no later than 25th May 2022.
- Please quote the Vacancy Number as the Subject of the e-mail when applying.
- No supporting documents (e.g., diplomas, recommendation letters, identification card(s) etc.) are required at this stage.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further assessment.
- Salary scale: Grade C based on NTA Salary scale.
- Written test/Interview will be conducted on rolling basis.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Aga Khan Foundation Afghanistan recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to equal opportunity and safeguarding of children, beneficiaries, partners, community members and employees in accordance with AKF(Afg)’s safeguarding policy.
Your details and information shared on this advertisement shall remain confidential.