- Salary Offer As per MCA Salary Scale
- Years of Experience Minimum of 2-3 years combined work experience in MEL activities, program evaluation, and information systems
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 2 Months
- Contract Type Short Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference MCA066-2022
- Gender Only Man
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension No
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelor degree in social sciences, statistics, economics, measurement and evaluation, project planning and management. Master’s degree is a plus;
- close Date August 10, 2022
About Mercy Corps:
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build a more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives. Recognizing both the great potential and the complex challenges faced by Afghanistan, since 1986 Mercy Corps has been implementing a range of humanitarian assistance and development programs tailored to the specific needs of the country and of those communities where we work.
Mercy Corps has been working in Afghanistan continuously since 1986 with a large portfolio of programs addressing the promotion of sustainable licit livelihoods, agriculture development, youth vocational training, Renewable Energy and natural resource management; it has helped more than 2.5 million Afghans through these wide-range of community–based agriculture and economic development programs.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
General Position Summary
The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will be responsible for supporting the MEL Director in overseeing the overall aspects of program monitoring, evaluation and learning activities conducted in Herat province programs. He/she will be responsible for daily monitoring and evaluation of activities implemented by program teams. As part of the job, the MEL officer is responsible to provide productive feedback in order to improve the quality of the programs, and works as the lesson learned.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Coordinate with the relevant departments including finance, operations and program to ensure the effective oversight of MEL functions
- Conduct VTC visits Herat province to ensure that the MEL system is consistent with implementation.
- Assist in the design of monitoring and evaluation, forms, tools, and testing of data collection Instruments (i.e. baseline assessment, evaluations, monitoring tools, etc.).
- Conduct data analysis of surveys, in line with the directions of the MEL Director (when required).
- Provide support to MEL Director on developing reports for the program, especially reports intended for internal circulation.
- Translate different MEL tools such as survey questionnaire, indicator plan and etc. to the local languages, as and when required.
- Assist in regular data entry into the MEL databases and donor required database, if required.
- Maintain the MEL related documents in soft and hard copies.
- Establish cordial, professional relations with MC Staff and other stakeholder and beneficiaries, ensuring Mercy Corps’ ability to work with transparency, accountability and good will.
- Conduct themselves in a professional and personal manner to bring credit to Mercy Corps and in no way jeopardize our humanitarian efforts.
- Provide technical assistance to program staff in order to maximize use of the MEL data collection tools.
- Develop capacity building and facilitation series to support program teams to better monitor and evaluate their program components, and to make better use of program information.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon by the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager.
- Stay up to date on the MEL methodologies and technologies used by Mercy Corps as an agency. Integrate these methodologies and tools into work carried out for programming.
- Support efforts towards accountability, specifically to MC beneficiaries and donors.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 2-3 years combined work experience in MEL activities, program evaluation, and information systems
- Bachelor degree in social sciences, statistics, economics, measurement and evaluation, project planning and management. Master’s degree is a plus;
- Demonstrated quantitative analysis skills
- Both theoretical and practical background in MEL or research and knowledge of qualitative and quantitative methodologies and techniques.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and implement M&E activities creatively, as well as possess the ability to analyze data and utilize lessons learned for the continuous improvement of program implementation and to promote a culture of learning.
- Experience in building staff capacity through facilitating formal trainings or workshops
- Experience with data management and statistical analysis including the ability to use statistical packages such as SPSS, Stata, or R and GIS software is an asset
- Fluency in verbal and written Pashto and Dari
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and produce results in a timely and quality manner
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please state the title/ subject line as:
MCA066-2022 Application for MEL Officer
*Application received after the closing date or with a different subject line will not be given consideration.
Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview. Interested candidates should send their Application to: email@example.com