- Salary Offer As per Organization Salary Scale
- Years of Experience 7 years’ of experience in on-site construction or construction supervision of works is required.
- Number of Vacancies: 34
- Contract Duration Short and long term
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelor in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, or equivalent, is required.
- close Date February 29, 2024
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
Following the political events in Afghanistan in August 2021, the subsequent economic collapse has led to an unprecedented humanitarian crisis putting over 24 million people in immediate need of aid. To provide immediate short-term livelihood opportunities and deliver urgent essential services in rural and urban areas, UNOPS is working with funders to implement a large-scale community resilience program. The initiative aims to reach an estimated 1.1 million households, or 7.5 million Afghans,with livelihoods and income support. In addition, 9 million Afghans in some 6,200 rural communities and 8 cities will benefit from improved access to essential social services through strengthening the capacity of community institutions in inclusive service delivery.
The Lead Construction Management Engineer is a member of the infrastructure and engineering supervision team of the Project. Under the direct supervision of the Senior Construction Management Engineer and the overall leadership of the Head of Project, the Lead Construction Management Engineer coordinates the day-to-day construction activities across all projects under the engagement, in coordination with relevant team members. The Lead Construction Management Engineer demonstrates to the engineering teams best practices and techniques of key technical and construction management work areas, extensive practical experience in performing practical construction activities and supervising works in compliance with quality assurance and quality control requirements, and extensive skills in the mobilization and management labors, occupational health & safety as well as environmental management standards on site. The Lead Construction Management Engineer will be based in Kabul and is expected to travel across all project sites, as required.
2. Summary of Key Functions
- General construction management
- Knowledge sharing
1. General construction management
- Assist the Head of Project to monitor UNOPS’ quality, health, safety and environmental management systems.
- Assist the Head of Project to manage, plan and coordinate monthly, weekly and daily construction activities, including monitoring site safety and construction quality.
- Participate in construction approval and inspection activities, liaising closely with engineering and Quality Assurance (QA) personnel and ensuring Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) measures are implemented within construction activities.
- Identify and solve construction issues in a timely fashion, keeping project managers, QA, HSE and engineering staff informed.
- In close consultation with the Head of Project, manage and monitor project activities including project implementation plans, work schedules, budgets, facility requirements, and staffing schedules.
- Provide technical leadership, oversight, advice and guidance on all infrastructure sub-projects to stakeholders and other engineering project personnel; including Site Engineering, HSE, and Community Liaison teams.
- Assist the Head of Project in developing comprehensive project work plans, clearly defining objectives, expected outputs, including milestone achievements and detailed work plans, roles and responsibilities, and inputs required.
- Review surveys, field investigations, design submittals, drawings and specifications, recommending required changes needed to provide cost-effective solutions, where required.
- Ensure strict and consistent application of UNOPS rules and regulations and ensure the implementation of clear accountability mechanisms across all projects.
- Monitor all project activities in relation to the respective project work plans and take corrective action, when necessary, to ensure the timely and cost-effective delivery of project outputs.
- Monitor contract obligations, develop management systems and accountabilities to ensure all contract obligations are tracked and met.
- Ensure that work methods as proposed by contractors including those of labor intensive work methods are satisfactory, with particular reference to the UNOPS management systems compliance to ISO 9001 ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 and technical requirements of sound quality, occupational health and safety and environmental standards.
- Make recommendations on applications for extensions of time, claims for additional payment and other contractual disputes between UNOPS and the contractors;
- Ensure the highest possible quality of delivery and devise strategies for increased project delivery and quality programming.
- Participate in business development and stakeholder relationship building, promoting a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Project Team.
- Participate in regular site meetings to report on relevant health & safety matters and to provide necessary advice.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress and conditions on site through daily site records prepared and submitted by the site teams.
- Assist the Head of Project in the preparation of a monthly (or as requested) report within 5 days of month-end, summarizing progress of infrastructure projects activities, quality control, health & safety, environmental, resourcing and scheduling, and any other relevant issues.
- Support QA and HSE reporting and investigations, follow up with project teams to prepare reports on incidents (including near misses) and provide information for monthly QA and HSE reporting to the country office.
3. Knowledge sharing
- Contribute to the project evaluation process, highlighting challenges associated with the project and feedback into a continuous improvement cycle.
- Provide training and knowledge transfer to national/contractor personnel, including advice on good construction and engineering practices, environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice, actively interact with other PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned, and best practices.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy and supporting guidance, with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
3. Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Lead Construction Management Engineer directly impacts on the development and performance of the project. It confirms UNOPS’ role as a key and trusted partner to the World Bank, and UNOPS’ position as a critical service provider, in all challenging work environments. Given the current political and humanitarian situation in Afghanistan, this project would support the urgent repositioning of AFCO and strengthen UNOPS presence and visibility in Afghanistan, raising the profile of UNOPS in the global humanitarian context.
Monitoring and progress controls will be in accordance with work plans that the Supervisor and incumbent will prepare at the beginning of the assignment.
- A first-level university degree (e.g. Bachelor) in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, or equivalent, is required.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of 7 years’ of experience in on-site construction or construction supervision of works is required.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and cloud-based office software packages (Google Suite), contract management and project scheduling software, and experience in handling web-based management systems is highly valued.
- Knowledge and skills in using AutoCAD is an advantage.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations is an advantage.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English is required.
- Pashto and Dari languages are desired.
- lick on the link below and then click on ‘Register and Apply’ if you are not already registered with CTG.
- Follow the steps to provide your details and register;
- Provide the information marked in red.
- Save your profile and upload copies of your qualification and CV.
- Once your profile is created and saved go to Vacancies tab on the right corner.
- Click on the vacancy that you want to apply for.
- Provide your current employment details, date that you are available from and salary expectations.
- Tick the boxes and click submit.
- You will see your application under the Application tab.
- Vacancy Reference NO. on website: VAC- 11411
Note: Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your application is accurat
Note: this vacancy is for different regions (Badakhshan Badghis Baghlan Balkh Bamian Daikondi Farah Faryab Ghazni Ghowr Helmand Herat Jawzjan Kabul Kandahar Kapisa Khost Kunar Kunduz Laghman Logar Nangarhar Nimruz Nuristan Oruzgan Paktia Panjshir Parwan Samangan Sar-e Pol Takhar Maidan Wardak Zabul Paktika) as indicated above, please while applying for this vacancy do specify the region name you are interested in as otherwise, we are afraid that your application will not be considered for the next stages