- Experience 5 years of experience in HR and Administration with international organizations
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Type Not specified
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference 2200005Q
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date January 22, 2022
- Education University degree in business administration or related field
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI – Afghanistan
Save the Children has worked in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers.
The HR and Admin Coordinator will support and lead the provincial-level HR and Administration Unit to ensure delivery of high quality services. S/he will lead the unit to ensure that end-to-end recruitment policies and procedures are followed with no interference, corruption or nepotism. S/he will lead the unit to ensure that correct documents are filed for each member of staff, and that staff are aware of key policies and procedures in relation to the Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding and Anti-Harrassment. S/he will guide others on the meaningful use of ‘Develop to Perform’ performance managmenet system. Where required, s/he may be required to lead on initiatives that impact the office as a whole, including the roll-out of Oracle and the implementation of learning and development strategies.
In addition to the above, the HR and Admin Coordinator will ensure that administrative services meet the business needs of staff, travellers and visitors, and that the office environment is clean, presentable and meets Save the Children’s standards. The role will also oversee the running of the International staff Guest House to ensure it remains clean and habitable. IT staff, who will also report to this position, must be supported to ensure that all equipment, networks and assets are regularly maintained and are functional.
With a positive attitude and commitment to customer service, the successful postholder will be a hardworking, commited and highly-organised individual with strong oversight of multiple functions. S/he will be able to see the bigger picture and how these functions come together to create a good working environment for Save the Children’s provincial staff.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
• Ensure that all staff in HR, Admin and IT are aware of their roles and responsibilities, with clear objectives for successful performance.
• Conduct weekly unit meetings to set objectives for the week ahead.
• Ensure that all sub-units are well-supported to do their jobs well.
• Actively Participate in the Area Management Meetings and other forums as appointed by the Head of Office
• Support the organisation of group inductions for new joiners on mandatory topics including the Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding and Fraud Awareness (once per fortnight or once per month as needed).
• Ensure that line managers are setting SMART probation / performance objectives for all staff.
• Where required, present inductions on HR-related topics during staff inductions.
• Ensure that all staff are highly aware of internal policies and acceptable behaviours in the workplace.
• Provide guidance and support to staff on the ‘Develop to Perform’ system to ensure that all staff complete mid and end-year reviews on time and to quality.
• Ensure that all personnel files are complete, securely stored, well-organised and placed in a locked container through regular spot checks.
• Ensure that all staff timesheets are completed and submitted on time.
• Ensure that subordinates are updating leave balance trackers at the provincial level.
• Check and follow up on attendance sheet to ensure that absenteeism is recorded.
• Collaborate with CO HR and Finance to produce the monthly payroll.
• Support investigations related to greivances upon request by senior management.
• Follow up on the completion of mandatory trainings by new joiners.
• Ensure that the end-to-end recruitment cycle is followed properly with zero interference and correct documentation.
• Provide advice and assistance to Hiring Managers on appropriate recruitment processes, interview plans and the organisation of mixed-gender interview panels.
• Review recruitment documents before they are shared with the Country Office for senior-level approvals.
• Ensure that subordinates are updating recruitment trackers at the provincial level, and that the tracker is shared with all provincial staff on a weekly basis.
• Manage higher-level recruitments (e.g. at Senior Officer and above) within the province.
Maintaining a clean and well-organised working environment:
• Provide appropriate leadership to admin staff so that all office, kitchen/meal room and guesthouse spaces are clean, welcoming and representative of Save the Children’s standards.
• Support Admin to ensure that the office has the appropriate amount of furniture, cleaning supplies and stationery to accommodate staff needs through the identification of budget codes.
• Conduct spotchecks on stationary stock records to ensure that records are being maintained and that there is no misuse of office supplies.
• Oversee the updating and maintainance of the Asset register for Nangrahar office, and lead the process of asset disposals from time to time
Oversight of IT:
• Ensure that IT staff are able to troubleshoot and resolve IT issues that are related to laptop systems, phones, projectors, screens etc.
• Support IT staff to ensure regular maintenance of IT equipment such as servers, switches, routers, firewalls, laptops, printers, scanners etc. through the identification of appropriate budget codes.
• Ensure that all new joiners receive a mobile phone in accordance to Save the Children’s mobile phone policy.
• Ensure that all communication systems are functional and used by staff in an appropriate manner.
• Ensure that staff are aware of the importance of data protection and data protection laws.
• Will support the Provincial manager with liaison issues in Nangrahar, and act as the main local contact with external stakeholders on non-programatic issues.
• Support the Provincial Manager to monitor and measure gender balance of staff on a quarterly basis.
• Ensure that female staff meetings are given the space and respect to take place.
• Promote the inclusion, empowerment and promotion of female staff as equal colleagues within the workplace.
• Maintain data integrity to a high standard.
• Ensure that the office has key posters up and available, including data protection, Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding.
• Any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
• holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
• values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• willing to take disciplined risks.
• honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Undergraduate degree in relevant subject
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• 5 years of experience in field related to HR or Admin
• Undergraduate degree in relevant field
• Experience in managing teams
• Leadership qualities
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work as a team player
• Experience in managing small teams of administrative staff
• Ability to keep sensitive information confidential
• Fluent in Pashto and/or Dari with strong command of English
• Good self-starter with effective time management skills and high levels of organisation
• Strong skills in coordinating and collaborating with others in partnership
• Positive, solution-driven, respectful and with a ‘can-do’ attitude
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simulatenously
• IT skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
• Experience managing multi-function teams
• Previous experience in NNGOs/INGOs, UN etc.
• Ability and willingness to travel within Afghanistan
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.
Save the Children International provides an equal employment opportunity and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
“Save the Children strongly encourages applications from women. Minimum country requirements for potential female applicants will be followed.”