- Salary Offer As per NRC salary scale
- Years of Experience 2 - 3 years of non-profit or NGO work experience within international humanitarian assistance programs with demonstrated capabilities in planning, organizing and executing security operations in the field.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration Till 31 Dec 2022 ( extendable subject to donor funding)
- Contract Type Long Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference VA-2022-0192
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education University Degree in Social Sciences or related field
- close Date May 23, 2022
About Norwegian Refugee Council:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organization helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability
The purpose of the HSS Assistant position is to provide technical support to the Saripul Field Office. He or she will be responsible for risk assessments, coordination, building acceptance, and implementation of the NRC security procedures and policies, and reporting to his/her supervisor of any security related updates/incidents in the province and along the roads.
The HSS Assistant is will also support the office-focal point and HSS Coordinator to implement the security functions at Field Office and support the program on security related-issues
- Provide technical support to the field office on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for staff safety, operational security and program continuity in Sar e Pul.
- Ensure compliance to NRC Security Management Framework within the SMP and all annexes.
- Work with HSS Coordinator to implement operating procedures and contingency plans;
- Explain the NRC North Hibernation, Evacuation and Relocation Plan (HERP) to the staff, and ensure that the practical preparations are in place; hibernation stock is updated, and known to all staff involved.
- Conduct risk assessments of offices and residences. Follow up on actions to be taken to ensure compliance with safety and security standards.
- Conduct risk assessment of districts, villages and roads.
- Building acceptance to empower and expand humanitarian programming in Sar e Pul Province.
- Develop ongoing relationships with local authorities as needed and other stakeholders in Sar e Pul.
- Work to ensure that NRC, its mission and work in the province is known and accepted.
- Work to encourage stakeholders to work with the NRC in ensuring that staff and programs are safe and allowed to continue humanitarian activities in Sar e Pul Province.
- Ensuring that minimum operating security standards and procedures are implemented in the field office and promptly report to supervisor when gaps are present –up to date list of safe havens etc.
- Providing support to NRC staff that has to report on incidents or critical situations.
- In coordination with HSS Coordinator, liaise with relevant security actors e.g. NGO Security Focal Point, region UNDSS contacts, local community stakeholders, Governors, etc.
- Ensure the inclusion of cash-based interventions and marked based programmes in country and area-based strategies and their implementation across and within NRC’s core competencies
- Provide an enabling environment for the implementation of cash-based interventions, including multi-purpose cash assistance, emergency cash responses
Supervision of Security Guards
- Ensuring that the NRC guards have the necessary training and understanding of how to perform their duties in a professional way.
- Preparing the monthly guard schedule and ensure that the necessary guard force is present at all times at the NRC Sar e Pul Field Office.
- Ensuring that the guards efficiently and professionally control all movement in and out of the NRC compound.
- Reporting any problems, unauthorized absence or disciplinary issues relating to the guards to the HSS Coordinator /Field Office Focal Point without delay.
- Undertaking regular performance appraisal of guards as per NRC procedures.
- Weekly reporting to Field Office Focal Point and NRC HSS department on security developments within the area of operations.
- Prompt reporting to Field Office Focal Point and NRC HSS department on security situations affecting NRC’s staff and operations.
- Prompt reporting to Field Office Focal Point and NRC HSS department on any security incidents involving NRC staff (whether national or international), NRC premises or NRC assets/operations.
- Fulfilling any other related reporting task as per requests of Field Office Focal Point and NRC HSS department.
- University Degree in Social Sciences or related field
- 2 – 3 years of non-profit or NGO work experience within international humanitarian assistance programs with demonstrated capabilities in planning, organizing and executing security operations in the field.
- Understanding the humanitarian principles and specific sub-sector work linked to INGO field and operations contexts.
- Ability to gain a precise understanding of the various local, regional, country and international policies, operational positions and interactions, providing clear dynamic briefings and analysis of given and unfolding security and political situations when they occur.
- Experience from working as security staff in a humanitarian recovery context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of cash-based interventions and market based programs
- Knowledge in communications technology, including, satellite communications, cell phone, etc.
- Good knowledege of English and local languages
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale.
- Smart Phone with Top up Credit card with internet package on monthly basis.
- NRC will cover staff plus four (4) depended for medical insurance.
- One time Eid Bonus per year
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law.
Interested qualified candidates can apply by clicking on below link:
Note: All applicants are supposed to create and properly fill online CV profile in the NRC People site, example (personal, education, experience background etc..) and only attaching CV will not be enough.
We do not have to inform all the candidates. Only those who closely meet the job requirement will be informed.
Online Application Form