- Salary Offer As per organization's salary scale
- Years of Experience • A Minimum of 5 years relevant experience for Postgraduate and 7 years for Graduate in a reputed INGO, 3 years of which should be in senior management positions, experience of working in a Multi-cultural context essential.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration December 2023
- Contract Type Long Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference Head Of Program-Kabul-972
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelor’s degree in management, Social Sciences or development studies.
- close Date March 25, 2023
About ActionAid Afghanistan:
About ActionAid Afghanistan:
ActionAid is a global alliance of organizations, working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. We work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas and our expertise lies in community-led development, working through partnerships with people living in poverty and their organizations. We work with the poor and excluded sections of the society using human rights-based development approach. Our Country Strategy for Afghanistan titled ‘PEOPLE’S POWER FOR INCLUSIVE ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT AND SOCIAL JUSTICE’ for the period 2018-2022 focuses on improving resilient food security and advancing grassroots democratic governance among, other strategic priorities, wherein women and girls’ needs are central to all our work.
To lead, develop and manage the program team to achieve the aspirations of ActionAid Afghanistan (AAA) Country Strategy 2018-2023 through Programme Development, effective coordination, consolidation, technical support and guidance by ensuring a cohesive team spirit and motivation to perform. He/she manages and ensures resource mobilization, prioritization and allocation, work plan coherence to deliver the ActionAid Afghanistan Country Strategy. This role is responsible for working with AAA Partners and Allies to foster long-term relationship to successfully deliver AAA program strategy.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibilities 01: Programme Planning, Management and Implementation
- Provide leadership in the development of strategic plans and budgets for all programs in the country.
- Provide leadership to the Programme Team towards achieving the objectives of the Country Strategy of ActionAid Afghanistan.
- Review and ensure alignment of program priorities, strategies and plans to the CSP and the broader ActionAid International strategies, plans and campaigns.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team to lead the development of both strategic and operational plans in accordance with Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and planning guidelines.
- Ensure ActionAid Afghanistan’s programme activities are grounded, strongly inter linked, and consolidated at the national level in line with ActionAid Afghanistan’s CSP.
- Ensure quality implementation of all projects of ActionAid Afghanistan
- Ensure learning are documented by the programme team in the most effective way demonstrating value for money.
Job Responsibilities 02: Fund Raising & Donor Relationship Management
- Support the Country Director, in developing and managing relationship with in-country donors.
- Lead on development of programme ideas into quality grant proposals through a community based, participatory approach.
- Collaborate with the ActionAid International Business Development Units to respond to potential funding opportunities in the country.
Job Responsibilities 03: Program Reviews, Monitoring, Evaluation, Program Learning and Reporting.
- Ensure close monitoring of the program works in the field to ensure alignment and contribution to country strategy, monitor flow of information and systemic documentation of quantitative and qualitative achievements in the field and lessons learned thereof
- Ensure quality and timely submission of quarterly and annual or required Programme and Project Performance Reports as per desired standards and guidelines.
- Ensure compliance of approved Programme and Project plans.
- Promote evidence-based learning and the agenda of advancing alternatives
- Represent the organization / Unit in various programme-related knowledge sharing and learning forums, document and share feedback with the team
- Track trends in contemporary development programming and programme management practices, document and provide advice/ recommendations on key developments to SMT/EMT.
Job Responsibilities 04: Partnerships and Networking
- Support Program Managers to strengthen networks in the ActionAid Afghanistan’s collaboration areas.
- Provide support to the networks for building capacity of the member organisations.
- Support the Programme Managers in strengthening our relationship with the strategic networks and alliances
- Represent ActionAid Afghanistan and participate in network and alliance meetings, events and forums at national and international levels
- Ensure effective information flow and communication with other stakeholders including partners and international teams
- Initiate and nurture networks and alliances with academia, and research institutions
- Ensure effective partnerships at all levels as per standard procedures and guidelines of the organization.
- Coordinate and support review of ActionAid Afghanistan partnerships.
- Ensure follow up of partners after reviews and reflections.
Job Responsibilities 05: Financial Management
- Develop, monitor, review and update the Programme department activity, work plan to ensure that it attains its objectives as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible
- Review and approve programme concepts, partner financial requests as per organizational process and procedures.
- Manage the expenditure and disbursement of resources allocated to program department
- Review programme expenditures from the programme team line staff to ensure conformity to Financial Policies and Procedures Manual (FPPM)
- Monitor and advise on programme and project spending and variance report as per organizational process and procedures.
Job Responsibilities 06: Human Resource Management
- Lead and manage program team to achieve its mandated targets in accordance to annual operational plans
- Ensure an empowering work environment and team building in compliance to AAI / AA (Country) ‘s values, principles and attitude
- Ensure an enabling environment for staff performance, recognition and reward of the program team to encourage staff productivity, innovation and performance (e.g. facilities, equipment, duty facilitation, team building etc.)
- Participate in the review of staff job descriptions and setting of performance standards • Involves in recruitment of staff under supervision of HR.
- Assigns performance objectives to supervised staff, conducts comprehensive performance appraisal of supervised staff and provides / obtains feedback when necessary
- Ensure that performance records of staff under supervision are submitted to HR on time
- Provides induction, training, coaching, mentoring and advice to supervised staff to ensure that they understand and carry out their responsibilities effectively.
• Works with HR Function to identify training needs and development opportunities for supervised staff.
Job Responsibilities 07: Policy Management and Compliance
- Lead the development and implementation of country-specific guidelines for the management of partnerships in line with the CSP and other relevant organizational policies
- Participate in the review and update of ActionAid policies and procedures at country level and advise the SMT on the potential implications of the new system, policies and procedures
- Implement all necessary policies and procedures to ensure that correct procedures are followed by staff under supervision
- Adhere/ Comply with approved organisational policies and procedures.
Education & Certification:
Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Social Sciences or development studies, (PostGraduate in a relevant discipline is preferred). Training in Project planning and management, Human Rights Based Approach, Participatory approaches and methodologies, Governance, Civic empowerment and accountability, Monitoring and evaluation.
Essential Experience :
• A Minimum of 5 years relevant experience for Postgraduate and 7 years for Graduate in a reputed INGO, 3 years of which should be in senior management positions, experience of working in a Multi-cultural context essential.
• Experience in designing, setting up and coordinating monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment systems and processes of a program are required
• Experience in managing funding from a diversity of sources including governments and aid agencies, private sector donors.
• Proven experience of working with government agencies and research institutes. Experience working in conflict and post conflict contexts essential
Essential Knowledge :
• In-depth understanding of Human Rights Based Approach to Development and programming issues and policy work at state, national and international levels.
• Sound and up to date knowledge of development concepts, methodologies and techniques including demonstrated understanding of gender issues in development and demonstrable commitment to promoting gender equality within the organisation and in programme work.
• Sound knowledge in the political, social, economic and historic environment in which ActionAid’s poverty alleviation programmes are operating at both national and community levels
• Understanding of the project cycle management
• Excellent understanding of development partnerships, fund-raising, donor strategies, governmental and international relations in the country
• Basic knowledge of finance and accounting systems in the country
• Strong knowledge of M&E methodology, quality assurance
• Leadership and management
• Strategic thinking
• Excellent presentation, communications, and negotiation
• Networking, influencing and interpersonal
• Crisis management and conflict resolution
• Planning, organisation, time management, and coordination
• Fluency in written and spoken English and native / national language
• Proficiency in MS Office.
• Work on own initiative with minimum supervision and to stay on task.
• Work under pressure and tight deadlines
• Travel frequently
• A self-starter who is creative, diplomatic, mature and decisive
If you have the expertise to take on this exciting opportunity, please apply online by sending your CV and motivation cover letter to email@example.com up to March 25, 2023. Please clearly indicate Head Of Program-Kabul-972 in the subject of your email, otherwise your application will not be considered. because of urgency, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so all eligible candidates are encouraged to apply early.
Due to high volumes of applications received, we can only correspond with short listed applicants. Should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. ActionAid Afghanistan will not consider unsolicited candidates from recruitment agencies. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.