- Salary Offer According to GIZ's Salary Scale | Salary Band 5
- Years of Experience At least 10 or more years’ professional experience in a comparable position with management experience.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 31.12.2022 (with Possibility of Extension)
- Contract Type Long Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference VA/2022/GIZ/20
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education MSc/MBA/ Certified Accounting studies, or similar areas.
- close Date August 15, 2022
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ operates throughout Germany and in more than 120 countries worldwide. Our registered offices are in Bonn and Eschborn. We have more than 19,500 staff members around the globe, some 70% of whom are employed locally as national personnel.
With an international remit and a multicultural working atmosphere, we are successful because we share knowledge across disciplinary frontiers. Your professional and personal development is important to us. Whether it is the multifaceted day-to-day challenges or the considerable scope for applying creativity in your work – there are plenty of good reasons to join our motivated team.
A. Overall Responsibilities.
The Head of Controlling Unit is Responsible for:
- the business area of controlling and compliance, and all order measures assigned within this area.
- efficiently dealing with queries about issues in the Controlling Unit of the GIZ Office.
- performing tasks in compliance with GIZs PuR and local legislation.
- correctly providing services to the GIZ Office as well as the Projects and programs in accordance with GIZ’s PUR/ requirements.
- formulating solutions for complex and fundamental issues relating to the GIZ projects/programmes and Office delivery of financial services.
- Contributing to developing uniformed policies that are in line with local legislation and GIZ PuR.
The Head of Controlling Unit also performs the following tasks:
- Management and advisory responsibility:
- advises the management on questions relating to the thematic area and on issues that are relevant to different stakeholders.
- works closely with the management on the improvement of quality and smooth process of the GIZ Office activities.
- is responsible for the business areas of financial controlling, orders and measures assigned within this section and for managing all staff who report to her or him (management responsibility for staff in bands 3 – 4).
- manages staff in accordance with management principles and guidelines to promote a sense of corporate identity, enable employees to carry out tasks independently and create scope for creativity and innovation.
- is responsible for recruiting, selecting, grading, planning the assignment of and professional development of staff members who report to him/her.
- is also responsible for monitoring, developing, managing staff and ensuring that they provide cost-effective services.
- carries out the annual staff assessment and development talk for staff members who report to him/her.
- supports in developing a Business Continuity Management Plan in commercial management for crisis situations for office and projects/programmes.
- Financial Controlling advisory services:
- ensures internal and external networking between different groups and thinks and acts outside the boundaries of the immediate team.
- advises projects/programs on the policies and regulations of financial management of GIZ.
- designs group and working procedures in line with objectives, requirements and the client’s needs
- further develops themes and instruments in his/her working area and incorporates these into the overall context.
- makes available expertise in the context of knowledge management and also advises external parties on issues related to the financial and accounting fields.
- networks with other units and projects/programmes and takes into account management goals and requirements in providing services according to the GIZ PuR.
- ensures the quality improvement in all financial processes and their interface with other departments in the office and with the projects/programmes.
- ensures the cross-check of arithmetical correction and ascertains that GIZ chart of account is correctly applies.
- ensures that invoice checks, obligo deduction and closure of contracts are followed.
- regularly monitors receivables and liabilities, updates databases.
- ensures that settlements are prepared for all type of receivables according to the imposed timeline of GIZ.
- making sure that income tax is withheld, paid and reported to the relevant ministries.
- Controlling services for GIZ-assisted projects/programmes.
- is responsible for effective deduction of taxes and adjustment payments.
- assists with the receivables monitoring of creditor and debtor administration, including financial contributions, local subsidies, grant agreement contracts to ensure correctness of implementation.
- assists the projects/programmes in the handing over and final closing.
- is responsible for complete settlement sheets for local subsidies, financing instruments, contractors, consultants, etc.
- ensures correctness of implementation in financial contributions, local subsidies, grant agreement contracts.
- liaises with GIZ Headquarters on the financial issues and seeks solutions.
- maintains regular dialogue with and updates the project/programme administrative staff on financial administrative matters.
- initiates capacity building of the Finance and Administration staff in the fields of finance.
- Quality Control on invoices and ensuring full compliance
- oversees the development, implementation and monitoring of efficient and effective office processes, including ensuring that the GIZ follows quality improvement processes.
- ensures that the internal control process is adhered to when checking and preparing invoices.
- plans, coordinates and carries out training in GIZ controlling fields for the GIZ Office and project/programme staff.
- General duties
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- MSc/MBA/ Certified Accounting studies, or similar areas.
- At least 10 or more years’ professional experience in a comparable position with management experience.
Other / additional competences
- Full command over Pashto and Dari.
- Finely tuned organisational skills and ability to work on one’s own initiative at the conceptual level.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with other team members throughout GIZ.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and to use time efficiently.
- Willingness and ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands and ability to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Strong communication skills, problem solving and reporting skills.
- Flexibility and the ability to work on multiple priorities at the same.
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Very good knowledge of the English language, ideally knowledge of German an advantage.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
You are kindly requested to fill in GIZ-Afghanistan’s job application form and send it along with your updated CV and letter of motivation with complete contact details to our HR recruitment unit by applying through the link below:
Link for the position in GIZ’s job website: https://www.giz-jobs.com/#id=93d74d2a-a412-401f-a9f3-13f0293d2eea
You can download the GIZ’s job application form from our jobs website (www.giz-jobs.com) or from the Job Applications section of ACBAR website (http://www.acbar.org/applicationform). We will not consider and review the applications without the job application form (for internal candidates, filling the form is optional).
Please do not send us your working certificates, educational certificates or any other additional documents while you are applying for the post. We will ask you for these documents if you are selected for the next steps of our recruitment.
Only those candidates will be invited for written test or interview who meets the qualifications and requirements for the mentioned job vacancy.
We would like to encourage female applicants to apply for our vacant positions.
For more information about German Cooperation with Afghanistan and GIZ Afghanistan Projects, please visit our websites: