- Address Dawlatyar
- Years of Experience 2 year
- Number of Vacancies: 5
- Contract Duration 4 months
- Contract Type Short Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference VA-2022-87
- Gender Only Man
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension No
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Engineering School Diploma/Technical Institute/Engineering BSC will be preferred
- close Date August 13, 2022
Afghanaid is a British international NGO (www.afghanaid.org.uk) that has been working in Afghanistan since 1983. Headquartered in Kabul, Afghanaid implements projects directly in 8 provinces and through partners in a further number of provinces and maintains a marketing and fundraising office in London. Afghanaid works in some of the most remote areas of the country and through a range of programme interventions supports development of basic services, such as water and sanitation, access roads, education facilities and other community infrastructure; strengthens livelihoods through improved natural resource management, agricultural and small enterprise development, and improved access to markets; and provides humanitarian assistance in times of emergencies. Gender mainstreaming, local governance and community development are integrated into all of Afghanaid’s work. The results achieved have earned Afghanaid the respect and recognition of stakeholders as an effective and collaborative charity.
Vulnerable populations in Ghor face a complex set of needs. Drought, political instability, and Covid-19 have led to widespread illness and mortality and starkly reduced income opportunities in these provinces, depleting households’ productive assets and reducing their capacity to cope with shocks. In addition to this, many of Ghor’s communities are prone to spring flooding which destroys households’ shelter and assets, and leave them displaced and vulnerable to further hazards. In consultation with the ESNFI and based on an analysis of the past four years of flooding data, Afghanaid proposes to provide crucial shelter assistance to an estimated 1505 vulnerable households whose shelter being damaged by flooding or other crises in Dawlatyar district; all of which are particularly flood-prone and are noted by the ESNFI cluster as priority locations for this allocation. The final locations will be determined based on a needs assessment in consultation with the cluster.
The consultant foreman will be from the Dawlatyar district and will make regular trips to the project site at his own expense. He will work six days a week, as agreed with the project manager.
Supervise all 1505 ongoing transitional and shelter repair across in Somaks and Loka-e-Mazar villages of Dawlatyar districts in Ghor province.
Responsibilities (Afghanaid and Consultant)
- Report project progress to superiors
- Develop a work schedule for workers
- Supervise all 1505 construction workers across the target villages,
- Be the liaison between construction workers and supervisors
- Ensure that a project is adequately staffed
- Solve disputes between workers and communities
- Assign tasks to construction workers
- Ensure that the project is staying on or under budget
- Supervise skilled and un-skilled labors during the construction/repair of shelters.
- Provide construction and build back better (BBB) training to the beneficiaries and labors
- Keep the records of cash installments and report release of cash instalment based on project requirements.
- Provide daily record of transitional Shelter and repairing shelter and construction materials of the Project.
- Liaise with the beneficiaries and report any problems in the implementation of the project to the site engineer.
- Perform other duties in case of requirement.
Expertise, experience and qualification
- Engineering School Diploma/Technical Institute/Engineering BSC will be preferred
- Ability to organize a work schedule
- Ability to solve disputes between workers
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to negotiate
- Deep knowledge of the construction industry and processes
- Ability to read construction drawings and blueprints
- Perform quality checks on construction equipment
The contract duration will be for three months (01 Sep – 22th Dec 2022 ) 26 days in a month
- Ability to travel (to Afghanistan and/or working area of Afghanaid), if require Covid-19 vaccination certificate
- Indicative completion deadline
- Penalties for late report submission
- Incomplete and unsatisfactory delivery
- Application nature and structure
- Limitations on applicants from more than one company or group of companies; where a conflict of interest exists in the ownership or identity of applicants; or the inclusion of named specialists on more than one application; etc.
- Application screening and selection process
Please email a covering letter and your CV, by no later than Saturday 13 Aug 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your name and the job title in the subject line. Your covering letter should be no more than 1 standard A4 page in length and explain how you meet the essential and desirable position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. Your CV should be no more than 4 pages and include 3 professional references including your current employer. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates. Application with no proper subject (requested above), or submitted after the deadline will not be considered.