- Experience 5+ years of finance experience preferably in INGOs
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Type Not specified
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference 2200005R
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date January 22, 2022
- Education University degree in Business Administation or related field
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI – Afghanistan
Save the Children has worked in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers.
The Finance Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that key financial policies (including payroll) are followed with regards to spending that is on-time, compliant with donor rules and in accordance with budget forecasts. By supporting colleagues in programmes, s/he will ensure that spending is reviewed in ‘real time’ with costs that are charged correctly. S/he will also supporting in ensuring that all finance files are up-to-date with the correct supporting documents attached, and that weekly and monthly financial processes are followed. S/he will maintain high accounting standards, and support the Provincial Manager to ensure the liquidity of the provincial office.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
• Prepare and circulate automated Agresso-generated BvAs to provincial staff on a weekly basis to ensure real-time budget monitoring.
• Support programme staff in the analysis of general ledgers to ensure that all transactions are charged to the correct budget codes and in compliance with donor rules.
• Follow up on action points related to Finance in monthly AIR meetings that are held at the provincial level.
• Check all budget lines’ cost allocation before the closing of monthly accounts to make sure costs are allocated in approporiate lines.
• Ensure that accurate cash forecasts are submitted on a monthly basis.
• Ensure that any changes during the month are considered in payroll. Reconcile with new staff bank details forms and staff exit forms.
• Review calculation of payroll including income tax withholding, overtime, allowances, deduction of advances etc.
• Preparation of related journal vouchers for posting salaries and taxes as well as severance and other fringe benefits.
• Ensure required corrections and adjustments are identified and posted.
• Prepare and enter necessary accruals at each period end or at the end of an award.
• Ensure amortization of advances and expenses, and transactions are booked / allocated to correct codes.
• Review of cash reconciliations.
• Review of weekly bank reconciliations.
• Check all financial documents for suppliers payments and staff claims before submission to bnak and make sure coding and costs are allocated in approporiate lines
• Check the bank details for all supplier documents before submission to bank.
• Post transactions onto Agresso on a daily basis, ensuring that all files are correct and do not have any missing supporting documents.
• Management of financial documents and archives.
• Processing of cash requests.
• Lead correspondence with banks to add or remove bank signatories.
• Record daily bank transactions.
• Monitor and manage the liquidity of the provincial office.
• Work with the Provincial Manager to conduct and record daily cash counts.
• Act as member of procurement bid committees upon request, taking care to attend all meetings on time.
• Act as Finance focal point for internal or external audits.
• Provide support to cash transfer programming where requested.
• Any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
• holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
• values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• willing to take disciplined risks.
• honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
• Undergraduate degree in relevant subject
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• 5+ years of finance experience with INGOs
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Positive experience in managing others
• Ability to work under pressure
• Ability to work as a team player
• Fluent in Pashto and/or Dari with skills in English
• Good self-starter with effective time management skills
• Exposure to automated accounting systems
• Strong skills in coordinating and collaborating with others in partnership
• Positive, solution-driven, respectful and with a ‘can-do’ attitude
• IT skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
• Ability and willingness to travel within Afghanistan
• Experience working in humanitarian emergencies across multiple areas of Afghanistan
• Previous experience in NNGOs/INGOs, UN etc.
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.
Save the Children International provides an equal employment opportunity and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
“Save the Children strongly encourages applications from women. Minimum country requirements for potential female applicants will be followed.”