- Salary Offer As per SCI salary scale
- Years of Experience 5 Years
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference 220008GF
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics or in related field, Masters Preferred.
- close Date November 27, 2022
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI – Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers.
Work closely with Control and Compliance (C&C) , Budgeting & Reporting team, deals with the impact Areas to ensure that financial activities are in accordance with donor’s regulations (ECW Education Award). Make sure we are compliant with donors’ regulations.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Take lead on developing the financial reports for ECW and assist in preparation of financial reports for other Education awards.
- Take lead on budget realignments , budget revisions and any other tasks related to Budgeting for ECW.
- Assist the budget holders in financial related activities of ECW and Education Projects.
- Ensure that all charges made to ECW project are appropriate and in accordance to the donor’s requirement.
- Provide support to Finance Dept. on support cost (NTC).
- Communicate any need for additional funding for administration and salary costs which are partially funded among available budget sources.
- Analyize the budget to make sure that they are efficient considering SCI’s financial requirements.
- Make sure ECW Project is on track in terms of support, program, and administrative cost.
- Generate monthly Budget VS Actuals (BVAs) of the ECW & Education Projects and adjustments of Education Projects.
- Assist in formulating and developing the agency’s annual expenditure plan.
- Provide assistance in formulating, justifying, and monitoring the execution of Education Projects budget plans (Providing priority to ECW Award).
- Develop detailed estimates and narrative justifications, planning for and monitor the use of funds for program goals.
- Assist in developing, coordinating, and maintaining an integrated system of financial services including accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting.
- Ensure any new requirement of donor are considered.
- Other tasks as requested to support effective operation of the Finance Department
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics or in related field. Masters Preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Recommended a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Excellent skills in budgeting and budget management
- Excellent analytical skills – the ability to analyse complex financial data and design and produce effective management information.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to contribute to strategic decisions.
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload and to work to tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience of line management, with good facilitation and capacity building skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible and adaptable approach
- Excellent experience of computerised accounts packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Including 2 years’ experience in grants management in a major national NGO or INGO
Including at least 3 year’s experience in a finance role
- Strong understanding of financial systems and procedures
- Accountancy qualification
- Fluent in English, Dari and Pashto
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and Cover Letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.