- Salary Offer As per Organization Salary Scale
- Experience 4 Years
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference SVN-KBL- 033/21- Re-advertisement
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date June 23, 2021
- Education Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering; higher degree preferred.
IOM, with financial assistance of the European Union, developed the Reintegration and Development Assistance in Afghanistan (RADA) project to support sustainable reintegration of returnees within their communities of return. RADA is implemented in eight provinces of high return to achieve the following results:
- Sustainable reintegration: Returnees and communities in areas of high return in Afghanistan share an enabling environment for sustainable reintegration in which returnees reach a level of economic self-sufficiency, social stability within their community, and psychosocial well-being that enables them to cope with (re)-migration drivers.
- Activities include integrated community development projects, support to businesses, start-ups and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET).
- Capacity strengthening: The Ministry of Refugees and Repatriation (MoRR) and its departments at the provincial level, has strengthened capacities to plan, coordinate and facilitate the provision of comprehensive reintegration assistance.
- Activities include technical assistance, peer-to-peer capacity building and the establishment of referral mechanisms and structures such as Reintegration Information Centers (RIC) at the provincial level.
- Reception Assistance: Persons who are returned to Afghanistan under the Joint Way Forward Framework and additional arrangements on non-voluntary returns, are provided with immediate assistance at the airport in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Activities include medical and psychosocial screening and referral, temporary accommodation and onward transportation.
- Knowledge development: Comprehensive data collection, trend monitoring and research contributes to an evidence base on return, reintegration and development policy and practice in Afghanistan.
- Activities include data collection and analysis to monitor results, impact and contextual trends, publications and roundtables contribute to policy discussions at national and international level.
Under the overall supervision of the RADA Project Manager, the direct, functional supervision of the Senior Civil Engineer and the daily, administrative supervision of the Head of Kandahar Sub-Office, the successful candidate will be responsible for the successful implementation of the IOM Afghanistan managed, EU (Development Cooperation/DEVCO) funded project “Reintegration and Development Assistance in Afghanistan” (RADA).
S/he will be responsible for ensuring the timely and effective implementation of infrastructure projects in Kandahar province of Afghanistan. Infrastructure projects, as part of overall community-based reintegration and development activities aim to foster sustainable reintegration by increasing productivity, diversifying livelihoods and stimulating employment and entrepreneurship and employability. Based in Kandahar with extensive travel to field locations, s/he will work in close cooperation with local authorities, community representatives, implementing partners and IOM field staff.
- Manage efforts to collect and provide necessary information and assist in the planning, organizing and development of all aspects of the construction component of the project, including the development of monthly/quarterly activity work plans, progress monitoring, documenting and reporting and coordination and supervision of implementing partners and staff.
- Provide professional services required to design, construct, refurbish or rehabilitate medium scale community based infrastructures including the preparation of plans and detailed drawings, preparation of bills of quantities, estimates and tender documents, adjudication of bids, supervision and certification of works, and follow up projects to ensure a satisfactory conclusion.
- Provide expert guidance based on extensive experience in infrastructure construction to diagnose defects and specify remedial repairs, assist with cost management and analysis and have a good understanding of the key trades and accepted standards of workmanship.
- Conduct detailed feasibility studies and detailed engineering design for selected projects. Prepare proposals, plans for the construction, service delivery and related projects operate AutoCAD 2D 3D, Civil 3D, Primavera, Sap or Etabs and geometric design with respect to required plan, profile, sections, plotting, spirals, corridors etc.
- Oversee and participate in feasibility assessments, technical surveys and proposal elaboration in close cooperation with local authorities, community representatives, implementing partners and IOM field staff.
- Conduct regular field monitoring visits and oversee project resources, which address accessibility, practical, life-safety and aesthetic considerations which follow quality assurance/quality control requirements, construction codes and standards.
- Ensure social and environmental safeguards during technical and feasibility site study and implementation, taking a conflict-sensitivity and Do No Harm approach.
- Prepare and provide regular project related (technical and non-technical) reports to the supervisor in timely manner.
- Assist guide and participate in community participatory monitoring and accountability events at the project level and prepare relevant reports accordingly.
- Overseeing the daily operations of the projects to ensure accurate and correct progress of the projects and evaluate and resolve any discrepancies and problems arising during construction which affect the quality of works performed.
- To ensure that all infrastructure projects are designed and implemented as per the RADA community development, and QA/QC operation manuals and IOM procurement guideline.
Perform other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Note: The recruitment process for this vacancy notice may be used to employ candidates for similar roles
Appointment is subject to funding availability.
- Excellent knowledge and proven past experience in engineering software operation (AutoCAD, Primavera, GIS)
- Excellent knowledge and proven past experience in engineering related technical and non-technical report writing
- Knowledge and past experience in design, implementation and monitoring of small and medium scale community-based infrastructure design
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering; higher degree preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in technical survey, design, cost estimation and overseeing medium size community projects implementation.
- Proven past experience in operation and application of MS project, Primavera, Auto CAD, and Engineering related software.
- Extensive past experience working in close consultation and coordination with local authorities, community representatives, implementing partners and field staff.
- Experience with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International organizations, and International NGOs) is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Dari (Oral and written)
- Advantage (Pashto)
Interested applicants are invited to send curriculum vitae through ACBAR website by Close of Business (CoB) 22 June 2021 latest, we do not accept hard copies.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your application is accurate.
Campaigning for a candidate can be grounds for disqualification.
Click on the link below and then click on ‘Register and Apply’ if you are not already registered with MyCTG
Follow the steps to provide your details and register
Provide the information marked in red
Save your profile and upload copies of your qualification and CV
Once you profile is created and saved go to Vacancies tab on the right corner
Click on the vacancy that you want to apply for
Provide your current employment details, date you are available from and salary expectation
Tick the boxes and click submit
You will see your application under Application tab
Vacancy Reference NO. in website: VAC- 4723
Note: Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your application is accurate.if you have any issue registering yourself, please contactform 8:00 AM up to 4:00 PM: +0093728220482