- Salary Offer As per CRS salary Scale
- Address Herat, Bamiyan, Daikundi and Ghor
- Years of Experience • Minimum two years relative experience with national or international NGOs
- Number of Vacancies: 4
- Contract Duration Indefinite period
- Contract Type Short Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference CRS/HRT.BIN.DKN.CHN/22/92
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension No
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education • Bachelor’s degree in civil or Water related fields of engineering
- close Date October 8, 2022
CRS began direct operations in Afghanistan in early 2002. CRS maintains four main offices throughout the country: Kabul, Herat, Chaghcharan, and Bamiyan, with sub-offices in all of these provinces as well as Daikundi. The CRS strategic plan for Afghanistan focuses on poverty and risk reduction, human development and emergency response in rural areas in western and central Afghanistan. CRS works to support:
- People, especially girls and women from marginalized communities, gain basic education
- Poor rural and peri-urban households to have increased livelihood security
- Vulnerable communities to survive shocks without long-term negative impact on their livelihoods.
CRS has launched a multi-sectoral emergency response project, Fostering Resilience through Multisector Emergency Support (FRAMES), to address the needs of vulnerable households struggling to cope with the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and the more recent drought conditions across the country. The project will support immediate household needs with food assistance during the 2021/22 lean season and livelihood support in the form of seed and fodder distributions. The 14-month project will also focus on Agriculture,Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH), and Food Assistance activities that will support communities through learning events on improved agriculture practices, rehabilitation or construction of critical WASH infrastructure for improved access to safe water, and Cash for Work. Additionally, the project features a hygiene promotion component that emphasizes behavior change related to water treatment and storage, as well as household hygiene practices. The WASH project will support communities through participatory approaches to implement small and community driven infrastructure projects that rehabilitate water sources and facilitate access to safe drinking water. CRS is currently looking for a WASH Foreman with the technical experience to supervise and monitor water source rehabilitation and construction projects.
Under the supervision of the WASH Field Officer (WASH Engineer), the WASH Field Agent will assist in the surveying and implementation of projects. She/he will also supervise construction work and will manage local skilled and un-skilled laborers. The WASH Field Agent will need to work closely with external and internal stakeholders including local government departments, communities, CRS Senior Project Officers, Livelihoods Field Officers (Engineers), Livelihoods Field Agents, CRS Administrative support, and CRS Program Managers.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Work closely with the WASH Field Officer and Senior Project Officer to accurately identify new water source rehabilitation projects.
- Assist the WASH Field Officer during technical surveys, preliminary estimations, and development of preliminary proposals for review by the WASH Engineering team.
- Work proactively with the WASH Engineer and Procurement Unit to identify project materials, collect quotations, arrange for transport of materials, and coordinate with communities to handle tools and construction materials, maintaining a stock book at construction sites.
- Lead in monitoring project activities to ensure quality implementation of work and make accurate reports to the WASH Field Officer.
- Work with local shuras, community leaders and Field Officers to ensure communities understand stakeholder responsibilities, agreements, progress and document all communication clearly and promptly.
- Train local technicians on water system repairs and maintenance to effectively ensure successful operation of water points after the close of the project.
- In collaboration with the WASH Field Officer, support monitoring of WASH activities through data collection and other MEAL activities as needed.
- Conduct technical and administrative trainings to the Water Management Committees
- Contribute to field reports as needed
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the project team and other CRS colleagues.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders, including project participants and other community members, government agencies, other NGOs, and service providers.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or Water related fields of engineering
- Minimum two years relative experience with national or international NGOs
- Preferably have a certificate in construction or excellent professional experience in construction
- Knowledge of appropriate engineering and construction norms for Afghanistan
- Ability to work independently and within a team of national and international staff
- Excellent communication skills and good judgment with regards to problem solving
- Good attitude and willingness to always learn
- Literate in Dari some English preferred
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Senior Project Officer, MEAL Officer, WASH Engineer, Livelihoods Field Agent, Program Manager
External: Project Participants, Community Leaders, and other Community Members.
Required Languages – Fluent in Dari, working knowledge of English a plus
Travel – willingness to travel to remote communities in Ghor, Herat, Daikundi and Bamiyan provinces at least 4 days a week.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong sensitivity and respect for local cultures
- Professional manner in dealing with community members and co-workers.
- Strong listening skills combined with excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Possess good interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Possess initiative and ability to adapt and cope with pressure and challenges.
- Microsoft office 365 basic knowledge (Outlook 2016, Excel Online, Word Online, Microsoft Teams)
- Microsoft SharePoint online usage and experience
- Microsoft OneDrive usage or any other similar cloud base technology usage experience
- Basic knowledge on understanding the internet security and data privacy (phishing, Spam, Malware, Virus, Content Filtering)
- Understanding of basics on Intranet usage and protocols
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V – CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Protection Acknowledgment: CRS prohibits all forms of abuse and exploitation towards children and vulnerable adults. As a professional candidate, you commit to adhering to the Agency’s policy on the protection, rights, and dignity of children and vulnerable adults and to safeguard them from abuse and exploitation as defined in CRS’ Safeguarding Policy.
Submission of Applications:
Applications comprise a one-page cover letter to explain your interest and suitability for the post and your CV. Please do not attach your education documents and work certificates unless requested.
The process of submitting a CV/Application has been changed to the online system. Therefore, interested candidates are encouraged to apply using the link provided below. Applications sent to any other email address or location will not be considered. Please ensure to rename your application file according to your name entered on the first page of the application forms.
Please note that applications received after the closing date (i.e., October 08th 2022), will not be given consideration. Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted for tests and interviews.
In line with CRS policy on gender equity, qualified women whose qualifications meet the requirements of the above-mentioned position are particularly welcome to apply.
Interested candidates can submit their applications by clicking on this link.
Interested candidates can submit thier application by clicking above link.