- Salary Offer According to Organization Policy
- Years of Experience 4 years
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 9 Months + Extendible
- Contract Type Long Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference AREP-HR-424
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelor Degree in Agriculture Plant Protection specialization
- close Date March 25, 2023
About Afghanistan Rehabilitation and Education Program (AREP):
AREP is an independent non-governmental, non-profit Afghan national organization that was established in 1994 and registered with the Ministry of Economy in 2005. AREP’s learning experience as a development organization comes from its working association with communities in different areas of Afghanistan. More importantly, the development and growth of the organization have been through an evolutionary process. Besides AREP is a member of Education International (EI), the Agency Coordinating Body for Afghan Relief and Development (ACBAR), the Afghan NGOs Coordination Bureau (ANCB) and DUKE OF EDINBURGH’S (The International Award for Young People) AREP is also one of the few Afghan NGOs certified by the Afghan Institute of Civil Society (AICS) in 2018.
AREP is working for women, youths, and children, where disability is the top priority among the AREP’s three targeted groups in three main AREP core competencies/ technical expertise, a,): EDUCATION (Formal and Informal education, b): CAPACITY BUILDING [Vocational Education Skills Training, Awareness Initiatives (Civic Education, Human Rights, Anti-Corruptions, Access to Justice, Peace Building & Conflict Resolution) and other training for aforementioned target groups] & c): COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT providing them assistance in the multi-cultural program, government and community dialog, peacebuilding and Rehabilitation & Small Infrastructure) throughout Afghanistan.
The Extension Officer is responsible to lead the implementation of agronomy field community-based activities and ensuring that activities and outputs are implemented in a timely manner and according to the implementation plan. The incumbent will work towards achieving project goals by working closely with the senior agronomist officers, IPM officers, social mobilizers and Laser operators to deliver extension services to targeted community members.
Key Areas of Accountabilities:
- Support project team to conduct community mobilization, sensitization, and selection/verification of project beneficiaries based on pre-set criteria
- Responsible for agronomy activity implementation in the field
- Collaborate with senior agronomist officer, and other team members to design community mobilization strategy, and project implementation plans.
- Responsible for compilation of information on project implementation and reporting to the senior agronomist officer on a regular basis
- Ensure improved coordination by working closely with the Senior agronomist, Laser Operator, IPM officer, social mobilizer and other team members and ensure project activities are well coordinated.
- Responsible for monitoring the impact of the project, promoting learning, supporting decision-making, and documentation of best practices.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess the existing situation of agricultural extension and rural support services in target areas.
- Support the introduction and adoption of appropriate and agronomic technologies specifically for irrigated wheat and vegetable production to contribute to food security.
- Support farmers through field visits and training using the (FFS) Farmer Field School principles.
- Establish Farmer’s Field Schools (FFSs) and train them on improved production methodologies.
- Establish demonstration Plots and conduct participatory trials and research and demonstrate comparative results of improved agro-based production methodologies with selected FFS members.
- Support social mobilizers to select farmers’ field schools, kitchen gardens, wheat and laser land leveling beneficiaries.
- Assist with the project staff to distribute improved seed under the project
- Participate in community mobilizations, meetings, grouping sessions, and working with social mobilizers to support project activities.
- Contribute to the development of training materials for agronomic activities.
- Provide recommendations to farmers on improving soil fertility irrigated agronomic measures such as raised-bed furrow irrigation fertilizers application rates and methods and water-saving for increasing crop production;
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning
- Proactively participate in gathering information on the status of agriculture and productivity in the FFS, demonstration plots and Laser land leveling and beneficiaries’ farms.
- Ensure the agronomic activities and the technical strategy are coordinated with DAIL
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy or Agriculture Extension
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- At least 3 – 4 years of progressive work experience in a technical capacity in the field of agronomy and extension Experience in agricultural field-level extension activities in wheat and vegetable sectors
- Experience in facilitating agricultural extension methodologies particularly Farmers Field School and demonstration plots.
- Good spoken and written skills in English Pashto and Dari Languages and possess good skills in report writing
Additional job responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties from time to time that is reasonable in relation to their level of skills and experience.
In the event of a significant humanitarian emergency, the post-holder will be expected to work outside their normal job description; vary their working hours, and occasionally work from a different location should the need arise.
Application Guideline & Submission Email:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their resumes (CV) with a detailed application letter and contact details, no later than March 25, 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please clearly indicate “Extension Officer” in the subject line of the email.
Only short-listed candidates will be informed.