- Salary Offer As per NTA Salary Scale
- Experience With Master Degree minimum 5 years and with Bach
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration 12 Months Extendable
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference MCIT/Digital CASA/PIU/IC-1
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date April 16, 2021
- Education Master or Bachelor Degree in Management Sciences, Development Studies, Business Administration, Pu
About Ministry of communication and IT:
The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), Islamic Republic of
Afghanistan has received Project Preparatory Grant/Fund from the World Bank for execution of Digital CASA Afghanistan Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds to hire a qualified Individual Consultant to work as a Project Director of the Project to lead the project team.
This Consultancy Support will be provided to MCIT at Kabul, under the Project Fund of Digital CASA Afghanistan Project.
The aim of the Digital CASA Afghanistan Project is: (i) to expand and strengthen the Regional and National level broadband connectivity based on Optical Fiber Networks; (ii) to boost up digital society and economy through e-Governance initiatives and (iii) to prepare an enabling environment and Regulation for the growth of ICT Sector in Afghanistan. The project will do so by: (a) expansion and strengthening of broadband connectivity in Central Asia and South Asia Region; (b) expansion and strengthening of national broadband connectivity in Afghanistan; (c) Commissioning of a Network called “Govnet” to connect most of the Government Offices at Central and Provincial Government levels; (d) Automation of citizen-centric services through e-Governance initiatives; (e) Automation of e-Governance mechanisms and strengthening of e-Delivery Platforms; (f) framing up of Regulations, Policies, Strategies and Policies for growth of ICT Sector.
To contribute towards achievement of some of the above mentioned objectives of Digital CASA Afghanistan Project, MCIT has decided to avail the consultancy services of an Individual Consultant to work as Digital CASA Project Implementation Head/Director. Who could also build the capacity of the project staff and lead the team towards achievement of project objectives.
- The consultant will be the Project Director of Digital CASA Project and he/she will provide all necessary management and technical support to MCIT as required by the Digital CASA Implementation Unit (DCIU). More specifically the consultant will assist the Project Management Team and the DCIU in the implementation and monitoring of the project as below:
- Efficient overall implementation of the project and ensuring smooth implementation of each activity;
- Ensuring effective communication and consultations with all stakeholders; and facilitating the preparation and public release of project information;
- Assist in undertaking the monitoring and evaluation of performance indicators and outcomes against the targets, as agreed with the Bank;
- Assist in ensuring that all legal covenants of the project are met;
- Proposing necessary steps or measures to overcome any critical delays in project implementation;
- Leading planning, technical aspects, procurement and financial management, disbursement and auditing issues arising from implementation of the various project activities;
- Assist in monitoring and facilitation of full compliance of all components with the implementation, legal, procurement, financial and technical requirements of the project;
- Ensuring quality and transparency in procurement and financial management, and facilitating smooth and speedy implementation of the program. In addition, coordinate with the government counterparts to ensure overall integration of plans and reports into the Government’s program;
- Assisting the Project Management Team and the DCIU in ensuring that procurement arrangements are consistent with project implementation and development objectives and, as needed, discuss options and possible solutions with the DCIU;
- Assist in ensuring that all procurement is conducted transparently and on time;
- Supporting Project Management Team and the DCUI in financial management, preparing project’s budget and allocating funds to subcomponents;
- Supervising the preparation of project accounts;
- Arranging the quarterly review and annual audit of accounts;
- Ensuring that the Project Team receives continuous trainings in project management, procurement and financial management;
- Preparing requisite periodic reports for the government and donors as required;
- Transferring knowledge to MCIT staff, so that they develop a cadre of trained staff, having the necessary experience and appropriate skills, to enable them to be capable of managing its program. This transfer of knowledge and skills will be both through working closely with Project Management Team and DCIU staff as day to day tasks are carried out, formal training (e.g. small classes, workshops, etc.) and regularly reviewing of duties of PIU and PICU staff and their implementation;
- Other tasks as defined by the MCIT from time to time.
Successful applicant will have a strong background in project management. It is important that the applicant has good knowledge of government and business operations in Afghanistan, the Government’s ICT sector, administrative, procurement and accounting policies and procedures, and knowledge of and experience with World Bank financed project management, including procurement and financial management.
- Citizen of Afghanistan;
- Master or Bachelor Degree in Management Sciences, Development Studies, Business Administration, Public Administration, economics or any other relevant degree from a recognized university.
- With Master Degree minimum 5 years and with Bachelor degree minimum 10 years relevant experience is required with government, World Bank or any well-known international organization.
- Experience with World Bank financed project is an advantage and preferable.
- Good understanding and previous work experience in all aspects of project management;
- Fluency in English (reading, writing, speaking). Knowledge of Dari and Pashto is also required.
- Proven inter-personal skills;
- High integrity and accountability, leadership and good team work spirit.
- To ensure impartiality, the consultant (including his home office, if any) must not, in any way, be affiliated with business entities that are currently providing or are seeking to provide goods or services to the project.
Timing and Deliverables:
The Consultant shall submit reports to the Chairman of Project Implementation and Coordination Unit (PICU).
This is a full-time assignment expected to commence from the start of joining date of the incumbent. The contract, envisaged as a long-term position, will be signed for an initial period of 12 months with a probation period of three months, during which the contract can be terminated. The contract can be extended beyond the original term subject to the consultant’s satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
The Consultant will be paid on monthly basis as per the government rules.
Support that will be given to the Consultant at Kabul:
MCIT shall provide the following support:
A suitable working space inside the MCIT Complex.
Internet connectivity in Office
Mobile Phone Top-up credit
A transportation vehicle
Expressions of interest must be submitted by 16 April 2021, 16:00 hrs Kabul Time
PLEASE MENTION POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING IN YOUR E-MAIL SUBJECT LINE.
APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEW.
Females are highly encouraged to apply.
Applications sent later than the indicated date/time will not be considered.