- Salary Offer As Per Organization Salary scale
- Experience Minimum 3 years’ work experience
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference 210003AB
- Gender Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date July 30, 2021
- Education Relevant Bachelor's Degree. A Masters degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI – Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
As a member of the Provincial Office Senior Management Team:
- Co-chair the Senior Management Team and AIR meetings in the province alongside the Head of Office, ensuring alignment with ToR and that meeting action points and updates are minuted and followed up on.
- Provide leadership and accountability for the implementation of SCI-Af’s country and provincial strategy including humanitarian response, assuring full and timely delivery of results, appropriate coordination and cooperation across functions and offices (in particular between Faryab and the Kabul Country Office).
- Support the Head of Office to develop and maintain an organisational culture that reflects Save the Children’s dual mandate values (humanitarian and development), promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and compliance for Members and donors.
- Participate and coordinate with the Head of Office to actively to establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with: provincial-level government and non-governmental authorities (e.g. Armed Opposition Groups), donors, partner agencies, and local and international NGOs.
Oversight and Management of Programme Implementation (40%)
- Responsible for overall coordination of programme implementation and high-quality programming in line with SCI’s common approaches, the objectives of the country strategy and in accordance with donor requirements.
- Actively participate in designing innovative and high quality programmes to serve children.
- Participate in the programme proposal processes and ensure that all programmes progress in accordance with grant agreements, are completed within time and on budget.
- Manage and support project coordinators for individual projects and awards.
- Ensure programmes are implemented in response to the communities, and children in line with Save the Children principles, values and strategic plan and following Save the Children compliance procedures, this includes working with government and national NGO-partners to strengthen national capacity.
- Support project coordinators to prepare timely and high-quality progress reports, programme reports, and donor reports in a manner to allow review and consolidation efficiently.
- Resolve implementation issues at the field level where possible, liaising across functions in a collaborative and professional manner
- Escalate issues (including trend issues) as needed to CO-level staff in order to resolve root causes of regularly occurring issues.
Emergency Response Management (20%)
- Support Head of Office to strengthen the Nangahar office’s readiness to respond to emergencies in line with SCI-Af’s Emergency Preparedness and Humanitarian Response strategy.
- Mount appropriate and timely responses at scale to all emergencies consistent with established ways of working, response mechanisms, plans and organizational policies, and in close cooperation with provincial-level government and partner organizations.
- Ensure that all Nangahar office staff and key partners are familiar with, adhere to and implement Save the Children policies and processes for humanitarian response (e.g. ensuring emergency thresholds are utilized when approved by Centre).
- In coordination with the Head of Office, relevant budget holders and Technical Advisors, ensure appropriate, active engagement in key inter-agency emergency preparedness and response coordination mechanisms
Partnership Management (10%)
- Represent Save the Children to partners to ensure alignment with Save the Children’s partnership processes
- Support Partnership Assessments to ensure support, technical and programme implementation functions are assessed accurately
- Ensure partnership capacity-building plans are implemented on time and to quality
- Coordinate monitoring and oversight of partners between relevant functions to ensure compliance, quality and support to partners in Nangahar
Risk Management (10%)
- Support the creation and implementation of the risk management committee in Nangarhar
- Be accountable for development and implementation of mitigation measures related to key risks in Nangarhar
- Liaise with relevant CO-level functions to report on and follow up on relevant risk mitigation measures in Nangarhar
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Programme Implementation (10%)
- Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their role in an emergency
- Proactively lead and support the development of national staff and their assignment to management positions of increasing responsibility as appropriate with particular focus on improving the gender balance and equality of the office.
- Manage Project Coordinators team, working closely with budget holders to set objectives, oversee and support to ensure these are met in a timely manner
- Develop staff capacity by training, coaching and mentoring staff as appropriate and in coordination with HR, ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff
- Ensure Develop to Perform (Performance Management) processes are completed on time and in line with SCI’s global process and best practice (using SCI’s core competencies to set development objectives)
- Follow up with programme team to timely submit timesheets and ensure all leaves are recorded in the system properly
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for suggesting, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team takes responsibility for their personal development and encourages their team to do the same
widely shares their vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members, and external and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree. A Masters degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience, particularly with an international organization in the relevant field and project management at the sub-national level.
- Experience in project management, staff management, public outreach/ representation, report writing and, community mobilization.
- Strong command of Pashto and Dari and English.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-ethnic team and take on diverse tasks.
- Working experience or knowledge of Kandahar province and familiar with the concerned community, geography, and culture.
- Awareness of SCI policies and procedures and their work an added advantage
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Experience in organization operation management
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written
- Fluency both verbal and written in English, Dari and Pashto
- Good working skills on the computer (Microsoft office particularly MS Excel).
- Functional capacity
- Be able to analyse information, evaluate options, and think and plan in an effective, and strategic manner.
- Substantial experience in line management, effective team building’ and capacity development.
- Proven record of successful team leadership, management of implementing teams, and delivering
- Program objectives in complex, fragile, and challenging environments, in particular with regards to staff safety and security management.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication’ and presentation skills.
- Commitment to, and understanding of, Save the Children’s Principles and values’ including child rights and child protection
- Good knowledge and experience in gender work will be an added advantage
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties following the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by sending the below documents mentioning the position title and vacancy number (210003AB) in the subject of their email before closing date 31 July 2021
* Letter of Interest and Update CV as a single document
* SCI application form: http://www.acbar.org/upload/1572430756959.docx
- Save the Children International provides an equal employment opportunity and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse