- Salary Offer As per Organization Salary Scale
- Experience 5 years’ experience in database and MIS systems de
- Number of Vacancies 2
- Contract Duration 6 Months
- Contract Type Fixed-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference CTG-UNHAB-DDA 07-06-2021
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date June 23, 2021
- Education Bachelors in Computer Science or a related field
The position is located with the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific of the Regional Programmes Division and based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The Regional Programmes Division is responsible for consolidating and enhancing the linkages between UN Habitat’s activities in the field with the Strategic Plan, the 2030 Agenda, and the UN-Habitat’s overall future priorities and to make sure that they are appropriate to the country context.
UN-Habitat’s Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific manages UN-Habitat’s project portfolio in the Asia and Pacific region. It ensures that country priorities are in alignment with the UN-Habitat’s organizational policies and strategic objectives and brings through its Regional Representative to the attention of the Executive Management Committee (EMC) opportunities and challenges in the region, allowing for timely feedback and responses to urgent demands and requests from the Member States.
The Afghanistan Programme is a strategic partner of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in promoting sustainable urban development. Since 1992, UN-Habitat has worked closely with the government, municipal and local authorities, especially Afghan communities, contributing to the physical and social reconstruction of the country. Our work has focused on assisting the government in the development of urban policies and regulations; strategic urban planning; increasing municipal revenue; establishing community-based organizations; addressing the land and housing needs of IDPs and returnees and contributing to the provision of basic urban services.
The Sustainable Human Settlements in Urban Areas to Support Reintegration in Afghanistan (SHURA):
The overarching intention of the Sustainable Human Settlements in Urban Areas to Support Reintegration in Afghanistan (SHURA) programme is to provide a platform for returnees and protracted IDPs to reintegrate and become productive citizens of Afghanistan as quickly as possible. Integrating the lessons of the past decade of responses to displacement in Afghanistan, the program is based on the identification and allocation of appropriate land to returnees and IDPs in proximity to livelihood opportunities as the foundation for self-reliance. Following the identification of sites, the settlement will be directed based on a comprehensive assessment of sites’ carrying capacity, economically, environmentally and socially.
A land allocation process based on interim tenure arrangements will allow beneficiaries to occupy land with minimal delays and will form the basis for the subsequent allocation of land titles. Humanitarian assistance will be distributed in locations where returnees and IDPs have access to adequate opportunities to become self-reliant and long term tenure security. Permanent development interventions to improve access to basic services and housing will be delivered in parallel with humanitarian assistance, augmenting self-reliance, avoiding the creation of dependent ‘camps’ and bridging the humanitarian/development ‘gap’
The SHURA programme thus seeks to provide a platform from which returnees and IDPs can be the driving force behind their own integration and development by becoming productive members of hosting areas
The Database Developper Assistant will be reporting on a day-to-day basis to the International Database/MISS Officer and will adequately, continuously and comprehensively keep him informed. S/he will have the following duties and responsibilities.
Database Developper Assistant to develop a comperhencive managemnt information system for ministry of Refugee and Repatritation. She/he will be responsible to design, analyz, evaluate, test and implement the software applications at MoRR.
- Develop a comprehensive Management information system/s for the Ministry of Repatriation and Refugees (MoRR) as required.
- Responsible for performing data analysis activities to capture data requirements clearly from MoRR, completely, and correctly.
- Design and code from specifications, analyzes, evaluates, tests, debugs, documents, and implements complex software apps.
- Test the data storage, server, and web tools as part of the database system of the ministry.
- Regularly take backup of the databases and application and make sure all systems are running smoothly.
- Provide the data in the desired format to the ministry workers, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that the data is accessible through several statistical packages, including, SPSS, STAT and others.
- Ensure that the web-based tools are capable of preparing statistical tables, graphs, maps and other information outputs,
- Regularly maintain the ministry databases and ensure its accuracy and accessibility through web.
- Manages the accessibility, retrievability and security of defined databases.
- With support from other staff, prepare regular statistics reports and information products.
- Ensure the long-term reliability, scalability and maintainability of systems.
- Respond in a timely manner to service issues and requests
- Experience with all phases of Software Development Lifecycle, including system analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging and documentation.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient web application codes by using the best software development practices;
- Ensure that the final product works precisely displaying outputs without any technical/engineering faults and is approved by the senior management for use;
- Able to coordinate with co-workers and meet deadlines;
- Provide training programs and technical supports to relevant units.
- Perform any other tasks as requested by the top management.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Close work with the relevant department in MoRR
- Circulating Report on IDP/Returnees with relevant directorate of the ministry (DoRRs)
- Quality control of data in system.
- DEVELOPMENT OF MIS SYSTEM (RETURNEE AND IDP) FOR MINISTRY OF REPATRIATION AND REFUGEES (MORR).
- ESTABLISH A DATABASE INTERFACE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING STATISTICAL PRODUCTS ON DEMAND.
- CAPACITY BUILDING FOR THE JUNIOR STAFF.
- TAKING CARE OF THE BENEFICIARY REGISTRATION AND INFORMATION SYSTEM
Competencies (Select 3 Maximum)
- Professionalism: Ability to identify and resolve budgetary problems and identify sources for data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field with at least 5 years’ experience in database and MIS systems development.
- Strong Microsoft SQL Server and PostgreSQL skills (Database development and administration plus additional services−SSRS and SSIS, SSAS).
- Experience with Data Profiling Tools.
- Experience with Metadata Tools.
- Experience with providing End User Query Support
- Ability to communicate in English, Pashto and Dari required.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet short deadlines.
Click on the link below and then click on ‘Register and Apply’ if you are not already registered with MyCTG
Follow the steps to provide your details and register
Provide the information marked in red
Save your profile and upload copies of your qualification and CV
Once you profile is created and saved go to Vacancies tab on the right corner
Click on the vacancy that you want to apply for
Provide your current employment details, date you are available from and salary expectation
Tick the boxes and click submit
You will see your application under Application tab
Vacancy Reference NO. in website: VAC-4720
Note: Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your application is accurate.if you have any issue registering yourself, please contactform 8:00 AM up to 4:00 PM: +0093728220482
A cover letter that shows how your qualifications and experience meet the VA requirement.
An update CV that contains all your qualifications and experience information.
Education certificates are essential to be attached.
The last two years’ performance evaluation form or work certificates or three references from your former employers is mandatory to be submitted by the applicant.
please indicate the VA Number to apply for.