- Salary Offer NTA, Grade B
- Experience 10 Years
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration 1 year(s)
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference MoPW/SRTAP/PSC/1400-53
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date June 22, 2021
About Ministry of Public Works (MoPW):
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
On a mission to reduce project costs and extend the service life of road infrastructures in Afghanistan, the MoPW aims to embark on a project to develop new Standard Specifications for Roads and highway infrastructures by taking into account the national and international standards, country’s climatic and environmental conditions, economic situation, contractual procedures, safety requirements, local construction materials’ engineering properties, and technical aspects of the established design criteria for designing of roads and highway structures.
For the effective accomplishment of this purpose, the ministry intends to establish a team of highly experienced experts with diverse affiliations and extensive partnerships with industry and government organizations that will collaborate for revising the available technical specifications and developing new Standard Specifications for the design and construction of roadways and highway infrastructures with sufficient quality to be adopted by the MoPW and other relevant highway agencies/contractors functioning in Afghanistan. The newly developed Standard Specifications will serve as a standard reference in the construction contracts of roads and highway infrastructure (bridge, culvert, retaining/drainage structures) projects and outline minimum requirements for them. It will primarily encompass the limitations and standards for materials, equipment, and construction requirements that will ensure the delivery of quality, cost-effective, reliable, safe, and durable road and highway structure projects.
The MoPW is seeking to engage a Contract Management Senior Specialist with proven experience in managing the contracts of major road projects based on the FIDIC form/conditions of the contract. The incumbent must also have a thorough understanding of other established rules, regulations, and procedures related to contract management and procurement matters.
The selected candidate will function as a member of the team for developing the Standard Specifications and will work under the direct supervision, guidance, and direction of the International SME and leadership of the Team Leader/ Project Manager. The position holder will utilize their qualifications and experience in establishing specifications and guidelines for managing, drafting, and reviewing all contractual documents in compliance with contract law, procurement law, and procurement guidelines of Afghanistan and international institutions. The position will collaborate with the team of experts to develop a comprehensive Standard Specification for road projects in Afghanistan that is aligned with both the country’s needs and the regional/international standards.
The potential candidate will remain active through all project phases and should work in close coordination with the senior management in MoPW. He/ She must directly report to the Team Leader/ Project Manager of the team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties & Responsibilities:
The selected Contract Management Specialist will function as a member of the team for developing Standard Specifications and provide necessary contract management related expertise who will be responsible to perform the following tasks:
• Develop guidelines for contract administration and evaluating contractor’s claims and dispute resolution;
• Develop the procedure for reviewing Variations requests and decision making on contract variations;
• Develop a proper process to accelerate the monitoring of contracts in terms of their overall financial and physical progress and ensure the eradication of obstructions to enable the timely implementation of contracts as required;
• Develop other strategies to prevent/minimize delays in contract implementation and contractor payments at any time necessary;
• Develop guidelines for the assessment of Extensions of Time (EoT) and possible claims which may be submitted by the contractor(s);
• Make sure the developed standard specifications entail specific clauses regarding contractual breaches and applicable remedies from the contract management perspective;
• Make sure the developed standard specifications entail specific clause on the termination, extension, and conclusion of Construction Contracts, Design Contracts, and Consultancy Contracts;
• Establish the method for reviewing and verifying the forms of securities (Bid Security, Advance Payment Security, Performance Security) including the enforcement of securities (freezing, drawing down, and releasing);
• Establish the method for reviewing and verifying the contracts related to the insurances (Professional Indemnity Insurance, Third Party Insurance, Works Insurances, etc.).
• Ensure that the developed Standards Specification complies with national and international standards, country’s climatic and environmental conditions, economic situation, and the engineering properties of available construction materials;
• Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of currently adopted design, procurement, and construction procedures and approaches for infrastructural projects in Afghanistan;
• Plan and coordinate the activities for the development of standard specifications to ensure conformance with procedures and regulations as required by MoPW;
• Assist the team in disseminating and publishing the finalized standard specification draft;
• Complete all work in conformance with MoPW core values;
• Assist the Project Manager in reviewing/preparing the progress reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly);
• Assist the team in drafting the standard specifications and oversee the writing quality;
• Ensure that the language used in draft Standard Specifications is clear, simple, precise, and appropriate to the intended audience; and
• Perform other functions related to standard specification development required or assigned by the senior management.
Skills & Competencies:
• Highly experienced in projects involving construction management and supervision under a FIDIC contract environment or similar conditions used in highway projects;
• Experience in OPBRC/PPP/ DBOMT / DBM / DBOM contracts is preferable;
• Demonstrate a good understanding of the concepts, principles, theories, and methods required to plan, design, construct, operate, and maintain roads, bridges, tunnels, and other highway structures;
• Familiar with local, regional, and international standards, including MoPW standards, IRC, AASHTO, ASTM;
• Technology Awareness – Good computer skills using MS Office, Primavera/ MS Project and Internet;
• Able to develop specifications/guidelines and write clear, concise, and accurate technical reports/documents;
• Highly motivated and enthusiastic team player with a strong desire to succeed;
• Able to manage conflicting priorities; and
• Demonstrate leadership in handling and working with a multidisciplinary team.
• A bachelor’s degree holder in Civil engineering with emphasis on contract management of large-scale roads and highway infrastructural projects;
• Preference will be given to candidates with Masters or a higher degree in the related field;
• Professional familiarity with the FIDIC conditions of the contract is highly desirable;
• Have at least 8 years of experience focused on contract management of large-scale highway infrastructure projects with a proven track record in the administration and claims handling of large civil works contracts;
• Having 2 years of experience in preparing technical documents and developing standards/manuals is highly preferable;
• Must be fully familiar with contract management, early warning of key contractual actions, schedule and document contract management meetings and evaluating/resolving contractor’s claims and contractual disputes, and have the knowledge of methodology concerning standard specification development;
• Must have completed several high-profile infrastructural projects in high-profile companies/ organizations;
• Must demonstrate robust technical writing and English communication skills;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
• Able to travel to the remote area all over Afghanistan and work as part of a team;
• Perform any other job-related duties and tasks as assigned by the senior management.
• CV with a cover letter for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract; and
• Copy of other relevant documents that support the application.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to email@example.com indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/PSC/1400-53) and the post title (Contract Management Senior Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
Address: SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul-Jalalabad Rd., opposite KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.