- Salary Offer As per Organization Salary Scale
- Years of Experience 2 years of field work experience in the field of construction, preferably in road construction
- Number of Vacancies: 34
- Contract Duration Short and long term
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education University degree in Civil Engineering or a relevant field is required
- close Date February 29, 2024
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
Background Information – Afghanistan
Established in 1995, UNOPS has been working in Afghanistan to build better lives for girls, boys, men and women living in the country. By offering efficient, professional, and agile services, UNOPS Afghanistan Country Office (AFCO) supports partners’ contribution to the humanitarian response and development of the country.
Prior to August 2021, UNOPS AFCO was implementing projects in a range of sectors, including infrastructure, procurement, capacity building to ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
Today, in response to the increased humanitarian needs and partner requests, the UNOPS AFCO portfolio supports humanitarian initiatives and basic human needs, including managing cash for work projects, supporting humanitarian actors, procuring emergency supplies, and administering inter-agency communications and accountability centre for all humanitarian actors in the country
Summary of Key Functions
- Coordination, delivery and performance
- Monitoring and reporting
- Knowledge building and sharing
1. Coordination, delivery and performance
- Assist the line supervisor to manage, plan and coordinate monthly, weekly and daily construction activities, including monitoring site safety and construction quality.
- Participate in construction approval and inspection activities, liaising closely with engineering and Quality Assurance (QA) personnel and ensuring Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) measures are implemented within construction activities.
- Support the supervisor to ensure the overall and timely delivery of the project activities are within the project schedule.
- Coordinate with contractors and suppliers in inspecting all materials delivered to the project site, ensuring they meet the specification requirements and take corrective action where the quality of materials delivered does not meet the project technical specification requirements; prepare detailed reports on deliveries made to sites.
- Work with contractors on ensuring HSSE protocols and measures are implemented and standards are met.
- Check and verify the contractor payment.
2. Monitoring and reporting
- Monitor the contractor work schedule and provide the best technical advice to speed up the project progress and meet the project deadline, while the contractor is behind the schedule.
- Check drawings, specifications, and other construction design documents to ensure accuracy and soundness of design.
- Monitor all project activities in relation to the respective project work plans and take corrective action, when necessary, to ensure the timely and cost-effective delivery of project outputs.
- Monitor contractors’ onsite work to ensure delivery is maintained at the required level to meet project quality, time and cost targets.
- Maintain accurate measurement of the completed works for payments, keep appropriate records for all contracts.
- Organize regular site meetings with staff and contractors and prepare progress reports for the Head of Project Line Supervisor.
- Collect and document site information in relation to contractor’s work including information on the contractor’s workforce, labor, weather, Risk register, issues register and progress of work and any other related information.
- Prepare project progress reports and project briefs.
- Prepare and manage project documentation systematically, especially assuring the tidiness of the contractors’ site registers.
- Assist the supervisor and the Head of Project in the hand-over and closing of the project.
- Hold ownership to UNOPS’ Asset at the construction site.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice, actively interact with other Engineers and the Engineering community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Collaborate with technical team members including but not limited to architects, engineers, project managers and quantity surveyors.
- Conducting on site training for the contractors technical staff to improve the technical knowledge of the engineers.
3. Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Construction Management Engineer directly impacts on the development and performance of the project. It confirms UNOPS’ role as a key and trusted partner to the World Bank, and UNOPS’ position as a critical service provider, in all challenging work environments. Given the current political and humanitarian situation in Afghanistan, this project would support the urgent repositioning of AFCO and strengthen UNOPS presence and visibility in Afghanistan, raising the profile of UNOPS in the global humanitarian context.
Monitoring and progress controls will be in accordance with work plans that the Supervisor and incumbent will prepare at the beginning of the assignment.
- A first-level university degree in Civil Engineering or a relevant field is required.
- A professional certificate in Civil Engineering or a relevant field and/or an advanced university degree (e.g. Masters) will be an advantage.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of 2 years of field work experience in the field of construction, preferably in road construction
- Proven experience in the supervision of multiple construction sites is required.
- Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with government authorities and community organizations is an asset.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations is an advantage.
- Working knowledge of cloud-based office software packages (Google Suite), MS Office programs, MS Project, AutoCAD and telecommunications equipment and systems is highly valued.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English is required.
- Pashto and Dari languages are desired.
- lick on the link below and then click on ‘Register and Apply’ if you are not already registered with CTG.
- Follow the steps to provide your details and register;
- Provide the information marked in red.
- Save your profile and upload copies of your qualification and CV.
- Once your profile is created and saved go to Vacancies tab on the right corner.
- Click on the vacancy that you want to apply for.
- Provide your current employment details, date that you are available from and salary expectations.
- Tick the boxes and click submit.
- You will see your application under the Application tab.
- Vacancy Reference NO. on website: VAC- 11412
Note: Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your application is accurat
Note: this vacancy is for different regions (Badakhshan Badghis Baghlan Balkh Bamian Daikondi Farah Faryab Ghazni Ghowr Helmand Herat Jawzjan Kabul Kandahar Kapisa Khost Kunar Kunduz Laghman Logar Nangarhar Nimruz Nuristan Oruzgan Paktia Panjshir Parwan Samangan Sar-e Pol Takhar Maidan Wardak Zabul Paktika) as indicated above, please while applying for this vacancy do specify the region name you are interested in as otherwise, we are afraid that your application will not be considered for the next stages