- Salary Offer As per SCI salary scale
- Years of Experience 10 Years
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference 220008LC
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Master’s degree in education, international development, management or other relevant subject
- close Date December 10, 2022
About Save the Children – Afghanistan:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI – Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers.
Save the Children International-Afghanistan’s (SCI-Af) is the Grant Manager for a part of the GPE funding to Afghanistan for 2023-2025. The programme will be implemented by a consortium of grantees/partners, both National and International. Based on educational needs highlighted in the HNO and WoAA 2022, with a focus on continuing current programming to ensure children’s uninterrupted access to safe, quality education, the consortium is currently planning to prioritise the following provinces: Badakhshan, Bamyan, Daikundi, Helmand, Jawzjan, Kabul, Kandahar, Khost, Kunar, Kunduz, Paktika, Paktya, Parwan, Sar-E-Pul and Takhar.
The consortium will collaborate with UNICEF, who will receive the other part of GPE funding, to ensure that continuation of education is prioritized for existing classes in hard-to-reach locations. SCI-Af is the co-lead for the Education Cluster, jointly with UNICEF, and is also the lead Grantee for ECW. In this capacity, SCI-Af will ensure close coordination between the two programs and the cluster.
The successful candidate will need to be able to manage a consortium of different organisations with diverse strengths and experience, promoting a culture of collaboration and learning and being able to adapt to changes in the operating environment. The position is supported by a Finance Manager, Awards and Partnership Manager plus a MEAL Manager. The SCI component will be led by a dedicated Project Manager. Experience in education programming will be a distinct advantage but is not a pre-requisite.
The Director will be responsible for the effective and efficient implementation of the GPE Consortium program, including a budget of approximately $50 million. The Director reports to the GPE Steering Committee and is responsible for strategic oversight of the program.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director of Program Implementation.
Staff reporting to this position: Finance Manager, Awards and Partnership Manager, MEAL Manager, Project Manager.
Dimensions: This role requires frequent interaction with the consortium partners, mostly at the senior level. It will also require close coordination and collaboration with UNICEF, ECW grantees and other education actors. This role will represent the consortium to line ministries, the GPE Steering Committee, UNESCO and within the Education Cluster. Within SCI, this role will work closely with the Project Manager responsible for implementation of SCI’s component of the programme.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Strategy and Leadership
- Lead the overall strategic direction of the consortium. This includes leading the process of strategic review and visioning to make recommendations to the Steering Committee on future direction of Consortium.
- Accountable for the effective governance and management arrangements, chairing regular meetings with the Steering Committee and ensuring they engage with and support the program
- Act as the main representative of the consortium with the Line Ministry, UN and NGO counterparts and the Education Cluster
- Initiate and maintain close coordination with other education actors and, in particular, the cluster.
- Lead the management team, including holding regular senior management meetings
- Ensure effective collaboration with Save the Children functional leads on operational priorities for implementation
- Build a strong team culture cooperative team dynamics and professional development opportunities to retain a highly motivated and skilled team
- Ensure that the team is appropriately resourced and structured to effectively deliver the program.
Consortium and Program Management
- Review, refine and finalize strategies, methodologies, and inputs in GPE -Consortium managed grant including project kick of meetings
- Ensure that the programme moves as one consolidated programme, avoiding duplication and overlap
- Institute a practice of joint project planning and reviewing with consortium partners.
- Facilitate the Consortium partners in identifying opportunities for improving the quality and scope of the programme.
- Ensure that all consortium partners both at field and country office levels coordinate and regularly represent the Education Consortium at the coordination and technical working group meetings, and other relevant fora
- Responsible for overall program development, administration, and supervision of the GPE Consortium program
- Maintain oversight of performance and delivery and ensure timely quality reporting on performance to the Steering Committee
- Oversight of the program budget, including budgetary planning and monitoring
- Oversight of the risk management process
- Oversight of the next phase of the strategic planning process.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- At least 10 years’ senior leadership experience in the field of humanitarian or international development, at least five years of which should have been based in developing countries
- At least five years’ Chief of Party/ Team Leader experience
- Master’s degree in education, international development, management or other relevant subject.
- Demonstrated experience in building relations, finding common ground and influencing different stakeholders including government, non-state actors, civil society and development partners
- Excellent leadership and management skills in a complex organisational setting with proven track record of people and team management and a proven ability to forge consensus and drive action.
- Ability to lead strategic development and change processes and strong experience in developing systems strengthening approaches.
- Experience in building partnerships with and capacity building of local organisations
- Ability to effectively establish a learning culture within an organisation
- Experience managing large grants-based programs
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Experience of managing large education programs
- Knowledge of key issues and strategies in support of education sector and results framework in Afghanistan
- Experience in Afghanistan or elsewhere in similar context or Consortiums
- Experience with complementary education systems programming
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and Cover Letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.