- Salary Offer As per Organization Salary Scale (Grade C)
- Address Kabul
- Years of Experience At least five years of management experience relating to contracts, compliance, grants management, accounting, reporting, etc
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 30 June 2023 (with possibility for extension)
- Contract Type Long Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference 156
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Bachelor’s degree in business administration, law, humanities, accounting, or similar area of study.
- close Date April 14, 2023
About Roots of Peace:
Roots of Peace is a humanitarian organization whose mission is to rid the world of landmines and other remnants of war by transforming toxic minefields into thriving farmland and communities, through a focus on sustainable, organic farming practices. Roots of Peace is implementing the USAID-funded Agriculture Marketing Program
AMP Project Description:
The Agriculture Marketing Program (AMP) is a three-year USAID-funded program that follows on the successes of the ten-year USAID Commercial Horticulture and Agricultural Marketing Program (CHAMP). The program works in 11 provinces of Afghanistan, focusing on increasing farm production and domestic sales through interventions aimed at farmers and agribusinesses. During the first two years of the program, AMP worked with leading Afghan processing and export firms to increase export volumes and values, introduce new agricultural products to the market, diversify export markets and increase value-added processing. In its final year of implementation, following the Taliban takeover, AMP pivoted to an approach addressing food security challenges precipitated by the challenging economic and humanitarian situation in Afghanistan. Objectives included increasing farm productivity and food security, facilitating domestic market linkages, adding value to, or prolonging the shelf life of agricultural products, and agribusiness strengthening and capacity building.
AMP works primarily with private sector agribusinesses, farmers and other USAID-funded agricultural programs. Specific attention is given to support the participation of women and youth in AMP activities.
Roots of Peace has recently received an eight-month extension to the program, until 30 September 30, 2023, which will largely continue pivot objectives, including orchard/vineyard establishment/improvement, vegetable/legume intercropping, product quality improvement, irrigation, cold chain development, food processing, and business strengthening.
Compliance Specialist will assume overall responsibility for project compliance with US Government and USAID rules and regulations, ROP policies and procedures, and international best practice. S/he will also ensure that vendors and sub-contractors are in compliance with AMP purchase order agreements and subcontracts, and grantees and incentive awardees are in compliance with AMP Grant and Incentive Agreements. S/he will report directly to the Sr. Contract and Compliance Specialist. The Compliance Specialist must be available to travel to AMP targeted provinces in Afghanistan to visit vendors for the verification of invoices.
- Ensure the project, its personnel, vendors and grantees/incentive awardees are in compliance (as applicable) with:
- AMP Cooperative Agreement (and subsequent modifications).
- Environmental Mitigation & Monitoring Plan.
- USG & USAID rules and regulations.
- OFAC General Licenses.
- ROP Policies & Procedures (relating to procurement, travel, finance, OFAC compliance, IT, HR, etc.).
- Ensure all Purchase Order Agreements, Sub-Contracts and other procurements comply with applicable regulations, corporate policy, and good commercial practice.
- Review all administrative documentation, including documentation relating to procurement, operations, HR, grants, incentives, and finance to ensure accuracy, completeness, cost reasonableness, and compliance.
- Take appropriate actions to protect ROP and AMP against fraud, and request audit/investigations against any person potentially involved in fraud.
- Make sure documentation is authentic/genuine and not tainted/amended.
- Proactively identify areas for potential improvement in processes and controls.
- Oversee verification of grant/incentive activity and undertake periodic internal audits.
- Provide inputs (text and photos) for AMP monthly and quarterly reports.
- Any other tasks of a similar nature as requested by the head of department.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, law, humanities, accounting, or similar area of study.
- English language qualification, preferred.
Knowledge & Experience:
- At least five years of management experience relating to contracts, compliance, grants management, accounting, reporting, etc.
- Familiarity with USAID policies and regulations.
Skills & Competencies:
- Attention to detail is critical – must be able to process financial documentation with accuracy.
- Strong analytical skills – ability to review large volumes of data accurately and efficiently.
- English language fluency (reading, writing & speaking) essential.
- Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto (preferably both).
- High degree of computer literacy.
- Ability to manage a large and complex workload, with limited supervision.
- Motivation, flexibility, and capacity to work under pressure to short deadlines, and strong sense of personal initiative.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send their Applications with clearly mentioning the job title and duty station of the vacancy in the subject line. Please send your Cover Letter and CV into one combined file. Applications without mentioning the duty station in the subject line will not be considered.
Roots of Peace values equal employment opportunities and encourages every individual regardless of age, gender, sex, color or ethnicity to apply for the vacancies in the organization.
“Roots of Peace does not want to disrupt government functionings therefore cannot hire government staff”