- Salary Offer Salaries and benefits are according to internal SCA salary scale
- Address Taloqan with all disctricts
- Years of Experience Practical experience in at least three of the following At least a year’s experience in education, community or social work experience, especially within an Education, NGO or Community Based Organization or similar organisation. • Practical experience i
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference HRM-TRMO 283-22
- Gender Only Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education At least Grade 12 level of Education or equivalent. A teacher, community or social work certificate/ diploma level training will be an added advantage.
- close Date November 30, 2022
SCA has been working in Afghanistan since 1982 and is presently managing development programmes linked to Strategic Objectives concerning Health, Education and Community Driven Development. With a total annual, budget of roughly USD 40 million. The total number of staff is around 5,700 of whom 15 are non-Afghans. The SCA presence in Afghanistan consists of the Kabul Management Office (KMO), five Regional Management Offices and two Liaison Offices. In Sweden SCA has 20 staff working at the Stockholm Management Office (SMO) and around 3,500 members organized in local chapters all over the country. In the last 10 years, SCA has undertaken a change process moving from a primarily humanitarian service delivery approach towards more of a developmental role, putting increasing emphasis on capacity development, rights-based programming and outcome orientation. The mission of SCA is to empower individuals, communities, and local organizations, primarily in rural areas and with particular focus on women, girls, boys and vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, so that they may participate fully in society and influence their own development.
Scope of work:
The Education Programme is implemented in five SCA Regional Management Offices (RMOs) and one Liaison Office in the east, southeast, central, north, and northeast parts of the country. The focus of the Education Programme is Community Based Education (CBE) from Grades 1-12.
Education of Adolescent Girls and Livelihood Support to Poor Households is a short-term project funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). The project is implemented jointly by the SCA Education and Rural Development Program (RDP) aiming at improving access to education for adolescent girls and supporting poor households with livelihood interventions.
The project, to be implemented in parts of the 14 Provinces of Afghanistan – Nangarhar, Laghman, Kunar, Ghazni, Paktika, Bamiyan, Wardak, Balkh, Samangan, Jawzjan, Kunduz, Baghlan, Badakhshan and Takhar – aims at contributing to: Improved access to safe, protective, and inclusive education in SCA target education settings; Improving Quality of education in SCA target education settings i Management of education at provincial, and school levels in target areas; Influence of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Professional Associations and Rights holders in education target areas and Safeguarding livelihoods of poor and vulnerable households
The Community Mentor (Women’s and Girls’ Education) is a full-time field based (minimum 90%). The successful candidate(s) will directly operate under the respective Education Project Management Teams. She will work in close collaboration with Education Officers, Education Field Supervisors, Education Master Trainers, teachers, other SCA staff, local leaders, local education authorities School Management Shura members, School Teachers, Inclusive Education Resource Persons and staff from other SCA programmes and units at RMO/LO level.
She will closely work with the Education Project team in the smooth implementation of the project activities with a primary focus of contributing to mobilizing and mentoring teachers and community members to enhance inclusive quality education for all children especially girls (Grades 1-12) and participation of women and youth in education and development.
- Acting in accordance with SCA’s policies and regulations and SCA Education directives.
- Providing updates on issues related to SCA and the environment where SCA operates.
- Mobilizing stakeholders in implementation of education activities related to the project in the field.
- Implementation of other duties as delegated by the respective supervisor and Education Project Manager
- Mobilizing communities to support the inclusion, gender equality, and non-discriminative programming against girls and women in education.
- Mobilizing women to serve as School Management Shura (SMS) members
- Mobilizing and hold discussions with community members, women-women and girl-girls forums to discuss the education needs of girls and sharing these with the supervisor for further follow up
- Supporting distribution of teaching and learning materials and kits in targets schools
- Organizing regular meetings with girls, women and school management shura members in schools and communities to discuss and address their needs in education alongside the Education Team
- Mobilizing communities in campaigns to enhance enrolment, retention and community support towards girls’ education and women’s participation in education
- Following up with schools and SCA staff on implementation of respective recommendations for
- Following up on implementation of planned education activities
Qualifications & Requirements:
- At least Grade 12 level of Education or equivalent. A teacher, community or social work certificate/ diploma level training will be an added advantage.
- Practical experience in at least three of the following At least a year’s experience in education, community or social work experience, especially within an Education, NGO or Community Based Organization or similar organisation.
- Practical experience in at least one of the following areas: Social and community mobilization and engagement, project implementation, teaching, girls’ education, conducting literacy classes, capacity building, women affairs, mentorship, and advocacy
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in supporting girls and women participation in education and community development
- Community Own Resource Persons – Drawn from the target local communities
- Fluency in oral and written Dari and/Pashto. Ability to communicate effectively in English is an added advantage `
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with ability to work different categories of people
- Self-initiating, self-motivated and with ability to work with minimum supervision
- Team player, hardworking, honest, proactive, and disciplined
- Proven ability to work and support School Management Shuras members in target schools
- Approachable, diplomatic, professional and supportive to all stakeholders
- Ability and willingness to travel to rural and remote project sites within Afghanistan and adjust to the SCA environment
Interested qualified candidates should submit a full CV with a cover letter explaining their motivation in applying for the job and highlighting their relevant skills and experience and send your application / CV to the below link:
Academic certificates or references need not to be submitted at this time. These will be requested if called for interview.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for written test and/or interview.
Applications after announcement closing date or Application in hard copy will not be accepted.
SCA is committed to ethical standards, a safe and inclusive work environment. Our work is based on our values: Responsiveness, Equality, Impartiality, Social Justice, and Integrity.
Background and reference checks are part of the recruitment process and will be conducted for the successful candidate