- Salary Offer As per organization salary scale
- Years of Experience At least 1-2 years of relevant experience, especially within NGO, UN agency or similar organization
- Number of Vacancies: 2
- Contract Duration Project Based
- Contract Type Project Based
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference HRM/JRMO 178-22
- Gender Only Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education At least Grade 12 level of Education or equivalent. A teacher, community, or social work certificate/ diploma level training will be an added advantage.
- close Date November 26, 2022
The Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) is a non-profit, non-governmental humanitarian organization working to assist in the reconstruction of Afghanistan. SCA’s interventions inside Afghanistan began in 1982. Today SCA runs four major development programmers within Disability, Education, Health and Rural Development and is one of the largest NGOs in the country. SCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment based on their skills, abilities and experience without regard to age (18-65 years), race, color, religion, marital status, sex, physical disability, or veteran status.
Scope of work:
The Community Mentor (Women’s and Girls’ Education) is a full-time field based (minimum 90%). The successful candidate(s) will directly operate under the respective Education Project Management Teams. She will work in close collaboration with Education Officers, Education Field Supervisors, Education Master Trainers, teachers, other SCA staff, local leaders, local education authorities School Management Shura members, School Teachers, Inclusive Education Resource Persons and staff from other SCA programmes and units at RMO/LO level.
She will closely work with the Education Project team in the smooth implementation of the project activities with a primary focus of contributing to mobilizing and mentoring teachers and community members to enhance inclusive quality education for all children especially girls (Grades 1-12) and participation of women and youth in education and development.
The Community Mentor reports to the Senior Education Officer (FCDO).
- Act according to SCA policies, guidelines, and regulations
- Promote an attitude of team spirit and a strong focus on quality.
- Promote gender equality and non-discrimination that could be based on ethnicity, political affiliation, and religion among others.
- Actively contribute to the successful development and good reputation of SCA.
- Develop good co-operation with other SCA programmes, local authorities and institutions, local leadership, and other NGOs.
- Do the related job as delegated by the Education Project Manager or his designate.
- Acting in accordance with SCA’s policies and regulations and SCA Education directives.
- Providing updates on issues related to SCA and the environment where SCA operates.
- Mobilizing stakeholders in implementation of education activities related to the project in the field.
- Implementation of other duties as delegated by the respective supervisor and Education Project Manager
- Mobilizing communities to support the inclusion, gender equality, and non-discriminative programming against girls and women in education.
- Mobilizing women to serve as School Management Shura (SMS) members
- Mobilizing and hold discussions with community members, women-women and girl-girls forums to discuss the education needs of girls and sharing these with the supervisor for further follow up
- Supporting distribution of teaching and learning materials and kits in targets schools
- Organizing regular meetings with girls, women and school management shura members in schools and communities to discuss and address their needs in education alongside the Education Team
- Mobilizing communities in campaigns to enhance enrolment, retention and community support towards girls’ education and women’s participation in education
- Following up with schools and SCA staff on implementation of respective recommendations for
- Following up on implementation of planned education activities
- To transfer knowledge through on-the-job training to the community to enhance enrolment, retention and community support towards girls’ education and women’s participation in education.
Tasks of intra-organizational relations:
- Promotes gender equality, non-discrimination with regard to ethnic, political and religious background
- To participate in workshops, seminars & conference organized by the education program at KMO or at the RMOs.
Tasks of relation with external agencies:
- Maintain good cooperation with the UN agencies, NGOs, and other stakeholders who are involved in community level Education management.
- Enhance Education Project communication with the main actors in the related field at provincial levels.
- Establish relations with the related departments in DEDs and have their support for women and girls support.
- Attend meetings and gatherings related to the women empowerment at DED, UN agencies, NGOs/implementers, and other places.
Qualifications & Requirements:
At least Grade 12 level of Education or equivalent. A teacher, community, or social work certificate/ diploma level training will be an added advantage.
- At least a year experience in education, community or social work, especially within an NGO or Community Based Organization or similar organisation.
- Practical experience in at least one of the following areas: Social and community mobilization and engagement, project implementation, teaching, girls’ education, conducting literacy classes, capacity building, women affairs, mentorship, and advocacy
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in supporting girls and women participation in education and community development
- SCA actively promotes and encourages women and persons with disabilities to apply.
- Interested qualified candidates should submit a full CV (maximum four pages) with a cover letter in a single word/pdf document file explaining their motivation in applying for the job and highlighting their relevant skills and experience.
- To apply online please send your application / CV to email@example.com
- The subject line must include (HRM/JRMO 178-22 – Community Mentors (Women’s and Girls’ Education) otherwise your application may not be considered.
- Candidates may also submit applications by letter (hard copy) directly to the SCA HRM Unit in either Kabul, Ghazni, Kunduz, Wardak, Taloqan, Mazar-e-Sharif, Laghman, or Jalalabad;
- Academic certificates or references are not needed to be submitted at this time. These will be requested if called for an interview.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited for a test/interview.