- Salary Offer As per company salary scale
- Years of Experience 3 Years
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 1 year(s)
- Contract Type Contractor
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference WHOAFG- 2022-11-113
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- close Date December 5, 2022
About World Health Organization:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the technical and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership in global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical and implementation support and monitoring and assessing health trends. In Afghanistan, WHO works to improve the health and well-being of all Afghans by preventing and reducing mortality, morbidity and disability and strengthening health services in close coordination with national and international partners.
To provide administrative and technical assistance to the Head of the Communications of the WHO Country Office in Afghanistan and the day-to-day operations of the Communications Team.
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the programme):
Over the past months, WHO Afghanistan has been delivering health programs for the people of Afghanistan and working closely with partners and donors to reach the most vulnerable and those who have limited access to health services.
WHO Afghanistan is committed to fully leverage the power of strategic communications as a tool for promoting health and informing the public, partners, donors and the media on WHO’s work in the country. It is also imperative for WHO to proactively communicate about public health issues, gaps in the response and how can partners contribute.
With this in view, WHO Afghanistan is recruiting a Communications Assistant to provide support to the Head of Communications under below terms of reference.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment):
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Head of the Communications of WHO Afghanistan. S/he will work closely with the other members of the Communications Team, as well as other relevant technical units at WHO and counterparts as well as WHO HQ and regional offices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Communications and working closely with other colleagues in the WHO country office, the incumbent will:
Provide day-to-day administrative, logistical and operational support to the Head of Communications and other members of the Communications Team;
Develop/maintain/monitor Communications Team schedules and activities to ensure they are implemented efficiently;
Support in writing/translating communication products, including media releases, stories from the field and social media content
Liaise with WHO field offices, MOPH, UN agencies, and partner organizations in collecting information for communications content and for organizing joint activities;
Support in organizing communication and advocacy events that would showcase WHO’s work and public health issues;
Maintain mailing lists (media and partners) and inventories and distribution of communication materials;
Provide support in the field missions of the Head of Communications, as required;
Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
• Essential: University degree in communications, journalism, social sciences, public relations, administration or any related field
• Desirable: Advanced training demonstrated in communications, journalism, social sciences, administration support or related fields.
• Essential: Minimum of three (3) years of experience in communications, public relations and/or administrative support
• Desirable: Experience in WHO, Government, UN agencies, or organizations and NGOs, preferably on providing administrative support. Work experience in managing communications campaign an asset.
Functional skills and knowledge:
• Ability to complete task on time with minimum supervision
• Ability to work with partners, media and communities in Afghanistan;
• Ability to communicate effectively to facilitate positive changes and strategic partnerships with government officials, UN agencies, media, development partners, private sectors, nongovernmental organizations;
• Ability to organize impactful events and activities to showcase WHO’s work;
• Write compelling stories on public health issues, and highlight health needed in a strategic manner;
• Knowledge on various community engagement mechanisms in the Afghanistan context;
• Ability to establish harmonious working relationships as part of a team and with other teams within the Organization;
• Ability to adapt to diverse educational and cultural backgrounds and maintain a high standard of personal conduct.
1) Producing results
2) Fostering Integration and Team work
3) Communicating in a credible and effective way
4) Moving forward in a changing environment.
5) Effective use of resources
• Written and spoken fluency in Pashto or Dari and English is essential.
– Good knowledge of Microsoft applications.
– Knowledge of graphic design (photoshop, indesign, etc) ideal
Screening of the candidates;
Long List – The candidates shall be longlisted base on the minimum qualifications and relevant experience to the Vacancy Notice (VN).
Short List – Further shortlist shall be done base on years of relevant experience, higher education and required skills.
WHO may conduct written/presentation and interview or combination of the mentioned mediums to select the most qualified candidate.
WHO is an equal opportunity employer and qualiﬁed women are particularly encouraged to apply and equally qualiﬁed female candidate will be given preference.
Interested applicants (Afghan National) meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit their applications quoting this Vacancy Announcement Number (WHOAFG- 2022-11-113) along with their curriculum vitae, copy of National ID (Tazkira) to below mentioned email:
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. ONLY CANDIDATES UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEW AND TEST.
WHO is a smoke free environment.