- Years of Experience A minimum of 4 years of field work experience in the field of construction, preferably in road construction, and proven experience in the supervision of multiple construction sites is required.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Type Long Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period Not Specified
- Education A first-level university degree in Civil Engineering or a relevant field is required.
- close Date May 27, 2022
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – JOB-SPECIFIC
Following the political events in Afghanistan in August 2021, the subsequent economic collapse has led to an unprecedented humanitarian crisis putting over 24 million people in immediate need of aid. To provide immediate short-term livelihood opportunities and deliver urgent essential services in rural and urban areas, UNOPS is working with funders to implement a large-scale community resilience program. The initiative aims to reach an estimated 1.1 million households, or 7.5 million Afghans,with livelihoods and income support. In addition, 9 million Afghans in some 6,200 rural communities and 8 cities will benefit from improved access to essential social services through strengthening the capacity of community institutions in inclusive service delivery.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Project Manager, the Civil Engineer is responsible for the preparation of standardized design templates and other design and construction management documentation for the project. The Civil Engineer provides training and support to the project team and Facilitating Partners’ (FP) engineers in the design, and implementation of sub-projects. They will monitor the project implementation including scope, quality, time, cost and risk management..
Summary of Key Functions
- Coordination, delivery and performance
- Monitoring and reporting
- Knowledge building and sharing
1. Coordination, delivery and performance
- Prepare standardized design templates.
- Support the project team and FP engineers (where required) in the design and implementation of subprojects.
- Carry out construction supervision where necessary and advise on improvement of construction management practices.
- Identify and report on potential delays and or cost overruns that can be avoided and advice on possible solutions.
- Review reports provided by contractors and the project team and propose improvements.
- Prepare, manage and monitor performance tracking management systems to enable work plans to be followed at the field level with personnel being accountable for their outputs;
- Assist the Project Manager and the field teams to ensure that the planned activities are conducted safely, on time, within budget and scope.
- Identify risks, develop mitigation solutions and escalate to the Deputy Project Manager.
- Ensure that the implementation of community infrastructure (including contracting of labor, procurement of goods, development of designs, etc.) is in accordance with UNOPS operational directives, instructions and guidelines.
- Oversee the implementation of construction as per the design approved by the Design Review Team. Identify any potential design changes on site and advice the project team to resolve them in accordance with UNOPS standards, manuals and guidelines;
- Represent the Deputy Project Manager and UNOPS at coordination, community group and other stakeholder meetings, as delegated, especially in relation to the progress of community infrastructure implementation;
- Support the Deputy Project Manager with the valuation of construction work for interim progress payment certificates; the valuation of variations and the assessment of claims.
2. Monitoring and reporting
- Prepare a monitoring plan and ensure sample monitoring of the Component 1 subproject implementation covering all regions, provinces, FPs, and types of subprojects during the project duration. Share findings of the monitoring visits with the management.
- Work closely with ARTF monitoring agent engineers and FP engineers to address findings/short-comings related to these subprojects with regard to engineering, material quality, costing of the proposals, operations and maintenance, etc.
- Conduct quality assurance procedures to ensure that the requirements of the contract quality plan are being complied with.
- Oversee all project activities in relation to the respective project work package plans and take corrective action, when necessary, to ensure the timely and cost effective delivery of project outputs.
3. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Prepare and conduct Training of Trainers (TOT) training of the Facilitating Partners’ (FP) lead engineers and select FP engineers in each permissible sector on the procedures, forms, and requirements related to the Component 1 subprojects.
- Prepare and train FP engineers in engineering training manuals/handbooks on related aspects such as operations and maintenance of completed subprojects, health and safety of the construction workers, payment for laborers etc. Coordinate with the relevant specialists in training FP engineers on project specific environmental and social safeguards, including and especially land acquisition.
- Compile lessons-learned, challenges, gaps etc. identified in these subprojects and help make revisions to the project operations/ training manuals as required.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice, actively interact with other Engineers and the Engineering community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Collaborate with technical team members including but not limited to architects, engineers, project managers and quantity surveyors.
3. Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Civil Engineer directly impacts on the development and performance of the project. It confirms UNOPS’ role as a key and trusted partner, and UNOPS’ position as a critical service provider, in all challenging work environments. Given the current political and humanitarian situation in Afghanistan, this project would support the urgent repositioning of AFCO and strengthen UNOPS presence and visibility in Afghanistan, raising the profile of UNOPS in the global humanitarian context.
Monitoring and progress controls will be in accordance with work plans that the Supervisor and incumbent will prepare at the beginning of the assignment.
- A first-level university degree in Civil Engineering or a relevant field is required.
- A professional certificate in Civil Engineering or a relevant field and/or an advanced university degree (e.g. Masters) will be an advantage.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of 4 years of field work experience in the field of construction, preferably in road construction, and proven experience in the supervision of multiple construction sites is required.
- Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with government authorities and community organizations is an asset.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations is an advantage.
- Working knowledge of cloud-based office software packages (Google Suite), MS Office programs, MS Project, AutoCAD and telecommunications equipment and systems is highly valued.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English is required.
- Pashto and Dari languages are desired.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
CONTRACT TYPE, LEVEL AND DURATION
This VA is open only for Afghan nationals under CTG contract modality not UNOPS ICA.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.