- Salary Offer As per organization salary scale
- Years of Experience At least five years of related experience including 3 years in child protection
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration Open ended
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference 220000EX
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education University degree in development studies, social science or related field
- close Date May 19, 2022
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI – Afghanistan
Save the Children has worked in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers.
ROLE PURPOSE: This section should be a short paragraph that captures the context and fundamental objectives of the role as well as an accurate, concise statement of why the role exists. It should allow readers to immediately focus on the overall role in the organisation and should provide an insight into the role and the context within which it works.
Level 1: the post holder will not have contact with children and/or young people, or access to personal data about children or young people, as part of their work; therefore a police check will not be mandatory for this post unless the content of the post changes, in which case the Child Safeguarding level should be reviewed.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Under the direction of the Deputy Head of Office, the child protection Manager will be responsible for leading child protection activities in eastern region in close coordination with Sr. Child Protection Manager to ensure delivery of child rights and child protection service at field level. S/he will be responsible to technically support all child protection staff and and local partner organization in provision of required technical support in child rights and child protection.
Reports to: (Deputy Head of Office and Sr. Child Protection Manager)
Staff reporting to this post: (6)
Indirect : 26
Role Dimensions: (Coordination with line department, partner and community elders)
• KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
• Provide technical inputs and lead various assessments, researches and assessments on child
• Manage a diverse range of child Protection Programs funded from different sources while ensuring that the organization is not duplicating its work and providing holistic support to the children and beneficiaries.
• Develop work plans and monitors progress and present monthly progress report to supervisor. Ensure effective documentation of our program and progress by capturing lesson learnt and good practices.
• Work with monitoring and Evaluation focal person to ensure that information related to child protection is stored, analyzed and used by program support unit as well as the implementation team.
• Continue to develop understanding on children’s meaningful participation throughout the program, and develop/implement strategies to enable children to identify and address the issues of concern to them and promote their voices in locally, regionally and nationally.
• With inputs from the finance unit prepare budget for project proposals and then prepare spending plan, monitor them and prepare financial reports.
• Undertake capacity building needs and gaps mapping for the child protection team and develop a capacity building strategy plan and ensure its implementation.
• Mobilize internal and external capacity building opportunities and resources to ensure technical knowledge management within the team and provision of high quality technical assistance in the area of child protection to program implementation team.
• Develop and undertake specific trainings in child protection for program implementation team and then ensure that the latter train children, partners and community based child protection network/Partners.
• Developing concepts papers /Proposals for child protection projects.
• Review program documents, Proposals, Reports and detailed implementation plans to ensure that child protection issues and child rights approaches are integrated
• Represent the organization in child protection national and international forums
• Represent Save the children in protection cluster and all working groups on protection.
• Develop proposals for emergency appeals and if need be to lead the child protection sub clusters and represent Save CP issues in the various other clusters.
• Work with appropriate partners with in the child protection sector to ensure that children’s rights are considered in the process of legislation formation and institution building.
• Provide technical inputs into the CPiE emergency preparedness plan
• Report any child protection concerns related to save the children staff, partners or consultants to his to his/her supervisors and opinions related to the implementation of the child protection policy.
• Adhere to save the children’s code of conduct in professional and personal life and report breaches of the code to the appropriate persons.
• Ensure personal commitment in building constructive working relationship with partners based on SCI partnership principles spelled out in Theory of Change
• Ensure timely coordination with PU on assessment and selection of partners
• Regular joint visit to projects implemented by partner and provide feedback based on the findings
• Ensure best practices from partners or SCI projects are shared to ensure quality of implementation
• Actively participate and contribute in exchange of knowledge and learning sessions organized for partners capacity building
• Ensure that all projects are equipped with MEAL systems like quality benchmarks, billboards, posters to exhibit MEAL messages for activities
• Ensure action plans from quality monitoring and accountability systems are generated and implemented in timely manner collaboration with MEAL team
• Contribute to generation of lessons through finalizing issues for Operations Research and participating in lessons learnt workshops and provide report.
• Ensure that projects are reported against the M&E Plan
• Work closly ith local partners on project implementation.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
• holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
• widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
• future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
• values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
• approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• willing to take disciplined risks.
• honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
• Bachelor degree in social science while Master degree is preferred
• Well communicate in Pashto, Dari and English
• Demonstrable competence in training , supervision ,monitoring and evaluation,
• Good knowledge on budget management, effective team building
• Good knowledge on conflict resulotions
• Good knowledge on partnership management
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• 6 years’ experience, preferably 3 years’ experience in field of Child protection and work in communities.
• Excellent written communications, including report writing;
• Excellent communication skills in Dari, Pashto and English
• Ability to work in difficult circumstances
• Ability to learn quickly and effectively apply the procedures of an international organization.
• Demonstrable competence in training, monitoring and evaluation.
• Demonstrated analytical skills
• Experience of community participation, ownership and empowerment.
• Training and capacity building skill Demonstrable competence in training, monitoring and evaluation.
• Planning and reporting skills.
• Excellent computer skills (including word processing, spreadsheets, email, internet, excel, and Power point).
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.
Save the Children International provides an equal employment opportunity and does not ask for money at any stage of recruitment.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
“Save the Children strongly encourages applications from women. Minimum country requirements for potential female applicants will be followed.”