- Salary Offer As per organization salary scale
- Address Kabul
- Years of Experience • At least seven (7) years work experience in accounting or finance.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration Permanent
- Contract Type Short Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference MISFA/0239
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension No
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education • Post graduate degree/MBA from a recognized university in accounting or finance and professional qualification (ACCA, CPA/CA, CMA, CIA, etc.) required.
- close Date October 2, 2022
The Microfinance Investment Support Facility for Afghanistan (MISFA) was set up in 2003 at the invitation of the Afghan government — to get donor coordination right from the start and avoid the counter-productive efforts that have emerged from conflicting donor objectives in other post-conflict situations. It was established as a vehicle through which the Afghan Government and international donors could channel technical assistance and funding to build Afghanistan’s microfinance sector. MISFA was the first facility of its kind, pooling diverse donor funding mechanisms and converting them into streamlined, flexible support to microfinance institutions in Afghanistan, tailored to local priorities and accompanied by technical assistance and strong performance monitoring.
MISFA’s mission is to facilitate the development and growth of a long-term, strong and healthy microfinance sector in Afghanistan that provides high quality and efficient financial services to low income people.
The Chief Financial Officer is a key position within MISFA’s Management structure. S/he is responsible for helping to maintain the financial health of the Organization as directed by the Managing Director. In addition, s/he contributes to the creation and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices. The Chief Financial Officer reports to the Managing Director.
The specific tasks related to this position include but not limited to the following:
- Ensure that Finance Department is able to effectively perform key duties related to:
- MISFA budgeting and financial planning.
- General accounting and financial management of MISFA.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the Managing Director and members of the executive management team to achieve organizational objectives.
- Provide leadership, direction, and management of the finance and accounting team.
- Deliver accurate and comprehensive financial reporting and high quality financial analysis as well as developing and maintaining a strong internal control environment.
- Review all financial data to ensure that they are properly recorded and disclosed in the financial statements and financial reports for month-end, quarterly and year-end reporting purposes, in addition to financial forecast and budget.
- Oversee the annual external audit, tax audit, and preparation of the income tax return.
- Ensure that loan portfolio and investment portfolio are properly managed.
- Manage cash flow, liquidity, and the relationship with banking service providers.
- Review bank account reconciliations of all MISFA bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Ensure the finance and accounting function is in compliance with all applicable policies and procedures.
- Review financial/cost proposals of project activities received for funding by MISFA.
- Train implementing partners’ staff in financial management procedures, including financial reporting requirements.
- Prepare financial reports required by MISFA management, donors, Ministry of Finance and other government agencies.
- Coordinate with donors, government institutions, and other organization on all financial matters involving MISFA.
- Develop and update financial management policies, procedures, manuals, chart of accounts and other related documentation as required.
- Ensuring effective and efficient preparation of MISFA’s annual budget, activity budgets, and analysis of actual versus projected expenditures.
- Design and implementation of internal controls for new processes/business activities and/or for those processing areas requiring a stronger control environment. In addition, continuously improve the quality of internal controls to minimize the business exposure to all forms of operational, financial and compliance risks.
- Participate in management meeting.
- Ensure effective record keeping of all financial data and files.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Post graduate degree/MBA from a recognized university in accounting or finance and professional qualification (ACCA, CPA/CA, CMA, CIA, etc.) required.
- At least seven (7) years work experience in accounting or finance.
- Knowledge of tax laws of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, policies, banking and other regulations affecting international project accounting.
- Familiarity with the International Financial Reporting Standards required.
- Experience of budgeting, financial planning and analysis, and cash management.
- Good knowledge and skills in computer-based financial management systems and standard office applications. Experience in the use of accounting software, including QuickBooks software required.
- Advanced skills in the use of MS Excel demonstrable through practical assessment.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team working skills.
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrable ability to provide leadership, take ownership and responsibility in the performance of assigned duties.
- Knowledge of the microfinance sector will be considered as an advantage.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
The application package, only acceptable in English language, should comprise up-to-date résumé and a cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for the position, salary and benefits expectations, and the earliest joining date, if selected.
Interested candidates should submit their application package only by e-mail with the subject “Vacancy – Chief Financial Officer” to email@example.com. Due to the expected large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.