- Salary Offer NTA Salary Scale, Grade C
- Experience Proven experience at least 5 years in business mentorship, SME development, coaching and reviewing business cases of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration Till end of December 2021 (extendable)
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference CRD00103/21
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date July 31, 2021
- Education Bachelor’s degree in Business management, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Economics or Commerce.
Background Information – Cordaid
Cordaid was established in 2000, when several Dutch aid organizations joined forces. But our history goes back more than a century. Cordaid has changed over the years and is more than a donor now. Reducing fragility has become our core priority and we work in all contexts of fragility, from relief, through rehabilitation to longer term development. To do this effectively we seek funds, start partnerships and compete on a global market.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments and inspired by compassion, solidarity, and subsidiarity, Cordaid’s mission is to reduce fragility and the vulnerability of people where it is most needed and most difficult. We recognize that the overriding challenge in fragile and (post-)conflict countries is restoring trust and social cohesion, at community level and between communities and the state. This is what Cordaid does, right in the heart of communities, by mobilizing global networks, resources and knowledge. By doing this, we help people move beyond survival and live-in dignity.
Cordaid does this by promoting equality and social inclusion, by increasing the resilience of people and societies and by strengthening the social contract between citizens and their governments. Wherever we can, we combine lifesaving humanitarian aid with the longer-term improvement of health care systems, economic opportunities and resilience, and the promotion of security and justice.
Background Information – Afghanistan Country Office
Cordaid is working in and on fragility, and has been active in Afghanistan since 2001, aiming at a stable and peaceful country. We work across the triple nexus of humanitarian aid, peacebuilding, and development in 6 thematic areas, supported by lobby and advocacy activities. These encompass: humanitarian aid; inclusive peace; security & justice; health care; resilience & livelihoods; and private sector development. We provide programmatic leadership and require that our operations and those of our local partners are implemented to the highest standards complemented with knowledge generation that incorporates best practices and lessons learned.
Background Information – The Project
The proposed action – implemented through a consortium constituting the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) and Cordaid – seeks to create jobs and income earning opportunities for displaced people and vulnerable host communities in Afghanistan, through private sector growth. It aims to build on and complement the Government of Afghanistan’s flagship EZ-Kar programme, a five-year project funded by the World Bank, the European Union, and other donors which aims to “strengthen the enabling environment for economic opportunities in cities where there is a high influx of displaced people”.
More specifically, the proposed action is designed to complement EZ-Kar’s Component 2.2, which seeks to improve the market-enabling infrastructure in urban centers. This action will capitalize on the enhanced business environment created by EZ-Kar to increase the number of jobs created by local businesses, and, crucially, ensure that displaced populations benefit from these new job opportunities. This action therefore includes two main pillars: on the one hand, supporting micro, small and medium enterprise (MSMEs) who benefit from EZ-Kar’s enhanced business environment to further grow their business and create jobs; on the other hand, supporting youth from displaced and vulnerable host community families living in those areas to secure and retain decent jobs in these MSMEs.
Consultant rooster model
- Develop business mentorship methodologies, coaching plans, and tools for target enterprises. Considering the context of Afghanistan business environment, the methodology shall be used in all and relevant Cordaid’s private sector intervention.
- Identify potential businesses and select to acquire genuine requirements for mentorship and market linkage support programs.
- Review consultant’s assignments/deliverables, (assessments, business plans, marketing, finance, operations, etc) and any other developed strategies, reports for micro, small and medium-sized enterprises and update PM on major findings and significant point to be immediately addressed.
- Conduct feedback forms with MSMEs and consultants – draft reflections and share significant finding with PM.
- In collaboration of PM, PSD coordinators, prepare 6-9 months coaching plans, tools for enterprise and timely evaluate mentorship impacts on quality, process and sales and return on investments of MSMEs.
- Work closely with BDS consultants and organize capacity building sessions to ensure sound implementation of business mentorship methodology.
- Identify mentor expertise and business coaches from the pool of consultants.
- Support BDS consultants in developing innovative business cases, and timely assess entrepreneur’s profitability and capital needs.
- Support PM, PSD coordinators and project team in assigning mentors to selected businesses.
- Acquire data and information on TA support impact on business environment and enterprises from regional colleagues.
- Deliver ToT for mentors, consultants and trainers based on the requirement.
Market linkage events
- Contribute and conduct scope assessment, validation visits, sectorial value chain, surveys and assessments and facilitate data collection from MSMEs related to project impact at outcome level.
- Support micro, small and medium-sized enterprises in accessing finance, develop growth plans and identifying financing needs along-side PSD coordinators, ecosystem expert and trainers.
- Support ecosystem expert and team in market linkage and market development activities for target MSMEs.
- Facilitate in connecting businesses under RAWNAQ project for up and down of the value chain, identify stakeholders, suppliers, new customers, and markets and help in their contracting.
- Conduct technical visits to MSMEs, acquire actual requirement related to market linkage support activities (branding, packaging, labelling, and marketing promotional activities).
- Coordinate efforts with regional Ecosystem expert and officer in identifying exhibition opportunities, B2B events, exposure visits, trade-fairs and organizing ecosystem events.
- Assist ecosystem expert, PM, and PSD coordinators in MSME selection, documentation, and approval process for CSI intervention.
- Maintain relationship with private sector associations, stakeholders, Women business groups, manufacturing unions for possible program support.
- Establish relationship with educational institutes and interact with coaching experts to facilitate inspirational workshops and seminars for business owners and business mentors/consultants.
- Contribute to Enterprise Hubs establishment, drafting action-plans with implementing partner, partner risk assessment, and sustainability.
- Support training officers in organizing tailor-made and any specific training needs of MSMEs.
- Assist regional training officer in identifying options for e-training program and support e-learning training requirements.
Communication and story telling
- Responsible to develop success stories, lessons learnt, project achievements, celebrations in close collaboration with communication manager.
- Responsible to manage RAWNAQ website and social media accounts in collaboration with communication manager. Write success and update stories, business profiles and ensure sound implementation of content calendar.
- Communicate inception of project outreach and business community awareness campaign.
- Perform any other task assigned by Project Manager – RAWNAQ.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business management, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Economics or Commerce.
- Proven experience at least 5 years in business mentorship, SME development, coaching and reviewing business cases of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Proven experience of supervisory and teamwork.
- Experience in drafting SME support manuals, procedures, and methodologies.
- Proven experience of organizing sessions, seminars, workshops and learning events.
- Good business management, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good understanding of challenges faced by micro, small and medium-sized enterprise in Afghanistan.
- Flexible and capable of working in a stressful context.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English, Dari or Pashto language.
Please submit your CV and cover letter (in one pdf file), with the position name and vacancy number in your email subject or otherwise your email will be rejected from system.
Please note that applications received after the closing date and without Subject line will not be given consideration. Only shortlisted candidates whose application meets the above criteria will be contacted for test/interview.
Note: Only application send to below address will be considered. Applications send to any other address even within the organization cannot be considered.