- Experience 5
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration 12 months
- Contract Type Fixed-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference 142598
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Close Date June 20, 2021
- Education University Degree (Bechelor's)
About United Nations World Food Program (UN-WFP):
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is well known for its ability to deliver food assistance rapidly to people in need. To continue responding effectively to challenging contexts while also contributing to longer-term efforts to end hunger, WFP’s Strategic Plan focuses on better understanding of national food and nutrition security challenges and reshaping its engagement through support to national safety nets and social protection systems, to help host governments with their hunger-fighting strategies.
The Aviation Associate reports to the UNHAS Deputy Chief Air Transport Officer, under the overall supervision of Head of UNHAS in WFP Afghanistan.
At this level, job holder operate in locations characterized by a complex security situation and/or a higher volume of flights generating additional number of processes and details that must be completed. Job holders demonstrate personal responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries and problems with only general guidance, using a strong understanding of the local context. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders specialise in either air transport or air movement, and perform a specialised technical role, or in some situations may supervise and coordinate a team of staff. Job holders can also be based in an AO or FO with no direct professional technical supervisor on the ground, and therefore expected to resolve routine issues and take decisions quite independently.
The United Nations Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS), managed by the World Food Programme (WFP), offers safe, reliable, cost-efficient and effective passenger and light cargo transport for the wider humanitarian community to and from areas of crisis and intervention. It is the only humanitarian air service that gives equal access to all humanitarian entities.
UNHAS responds to the need for access to the world’s most remote and challenging locations, often under precarious security conditions, where no safe surface transport or viable commercial aviation options are available. Sometimes natural disasters – such as the recent Caribbean hurricanes – leave air transport as the only mean of access; at other times, it is conflict that puts entire areas beyond the reach of land transport or commercial flights. Created precisely for such scenarios, UNHAS provides access for humanitarian workers and cargo, allowing life-saving projects to be implemented and monitored.
To provide and/or oversee a range of coordination, administrative and technical activities that support the delivery of a safe and effective air service to the humanitarian community.
1. Provide operational coordination and technical support for air operations, ensuring compliance with WFP standards, including risk management processes, to support safe and effective air operations for humanitarian community.
2. Liaise with airport officials, other local authorities and external parties in order to obtain necessary clearances, documentation and authorisations required for air operations.
3. Carry out pre-flight actions to ensure that all registered passengers and cargo are duly carried on the flight in coordination with crew to ensure safe flights.
4. Collate all post-flight documentation in order to confirm flights have taken place in compliance with established conditions and, occasionally, review and evaluate the performance of air operators.
5. Resolve or escalate operational problems, using initiative, liaising with all parties, and navigating complex security landscapes, to ensure their timely resolution in adherence with WFP standards.
6. Support negotiation of local service contracts in order to establish effective partnerships on optimal terms and conditions facilitating air operations.
7. Research and analyse data, and produce technical reports that enable decision-making and support planning, execution and reporting in order to ensure contractual performance.
8. Update and further develop existing databases and records, ensuring that relevant information is accurate, organised and available for others to access, and supports reporting requirements.
9. Respond to customer queries, following standard processes and obtaining guidance or escalating as required, to ensure timely resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service.
10. Build relationships with internal counterparts, in order to support the alignment of aviation activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to air operations.
11. Supervise the work of other staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines.
12. Make evidence-based recommendations, and support process reviews and improvements in methods and practices, in order to maximise the performance of air operations and related activities.
13. Establish or maintain minimum procedures necessary to ensure a sound safety management system for the conduct of air operations.
14. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond in its core areas at the onset of a crisis.
Education: University degree in air traffic control, flight dispatch, aeronautical engineering or related field.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years of work experience in air traffic control, flight dispatch, aeronautical engineering or related field.
Desired experiences for entry into the role:
• Experience in dispatching flights from uncontrolled airfields.
• Experience in interpreting operational flight plans.
• Experience in fuel planning, fuel management and supervising refuelling operations.
• Experience in airside operations and marshalling procedures.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language, plus Pashto and/or Dari, preferably both.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
Afghan Nationals meeting the essential qualifications of the position are invited to apply by submitting a letter of interest and an updated CV or P11 form. Please click on the link provided below in order to submit your online application through the WFP E-recruitment portal. Please note that application submitted via email or hardcopy will not be given any consideration.
LINK TO THE VA: https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=142598&company=C0000168410P