- Salary Offer According to organization salary scale
- Experience At least 3-5 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings, through either research, evaluation, assessments
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration 6 months ( extendable)
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference KBL_76
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period Unspecified
- Close Date September 30, 2021
- Education Master degree in a relevant discipline (international studies, development, economics, political or social sciences, humanitarian response, monitoring, and evaluation
About ACTED and REACH Initiative:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
ACTED manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. REACH’s purpose is to provide granular data, timely information, and in-depth analysis to support the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts. The work of the REACH Initiative directly feeds into aid response and decision-making by providing accessible and precise information on the humanitarian situation of crisis-affected populations.
REACH Initiative has been present in Afghanistan since 2016, providing a growing evidence base for humanitarian response planning through sectoral, multi-sectoral and area-based assessments as well as information management services. ACTED/REACH Afghanistan is looking for an Assessment Officer to lead its AGORA research cycle, as of 01 June 2020.
Anyone employed by or working for ACTED shall commit to act according to ACTED’s Code of Conduct, which outlines the expected behavior of ACTED teams. To ensure that funds are used exclusively for humanitarian purposes and in accordance with donors’ compliance requirements, all job / internship / volunteering offers are subject to the condition that potential staff names do not appear on anti-terrorism lists, in line with ACTED’s anti-terrorism policy. To this end, your data shall be automatically processed.”
ACTED is seeking an experienced candidate, who has previously managed teams and conducted assessments and research in a humanitarian setting. Under the supervision of the REACH Country Coordinator and Research Manager, he/she will be the head of a research cycle. The candidate should be comfortable representing the REACH Initiative within ACTED and other development actors.
The AGORA Assessment Officer will be responsible for the management of REACH’s AGORA research cycle, including research design, training documents, outputs and deliverables, and external engagement with relevant humanitarian cluster leadership, donors, and government officials. The AGORA Assessment Officer will also be responsible for related logistics, partner coordination, reporting and finance requirements.
The AGORA Research cycle focuses on the implementation of area-based assessments in order to identify local community boundaries, stakeholders, and communally managed resources. These assessments aim to understand the community within the context of rural Afghanistan, in order to identify the local community entry-point for development organisations as part of a larger development programme implemented by ACTED. By identifying communities for engagement at the local level, local resources can be better leveraged and stakeholders empowered to inform community-level development platforms, improving both local coordination of development responses and ensuring a community-led programme. These assessments involve detailed mapping of local communities, followed by detailed stakeholder and resource identification, and also regular household assessments aimed at tracking overall vulnerability, service access, and community leadership inclusivity throughout the project.
Under the line management of the REACH Country Coordinator and Unit Research Manager, the AGORA Assessment Officer will fulfill the role as the technical lead for the AGORA project research cycle, providing the tool design, partner coordination, data analysis, and product production for the entire AGORA research cycle. It will include the following functions:
- Project/Research Cycle Management
- In coordination with the Research Manager and operations and data teams, develop a work plan for the research cycle, and ensure implementation and follow-up
- Ensure the assessment is planned in line with relevant project and program objectives and with global ACTED guidelines;
- Keep track of all progress and delays throughout the research cycle;
- Draft English-language project narrative and financial reports for donors and key stakeholders
- Monitor output achievement, project expenditure and ensure timely completion of the projects from a program management perspective.
- Research Design, Analysis, and Output Production
- Design the methodology and tools associated with each assigned assessment, including the drafting of Assessment Terms of Reference (ToRs);
- In coordination with the data team, field teams, and external stakeholders, develop quantitative and qualitative tools and associated sampling and data collection methodologies for assessments;
- In coordination with the data team, design data analysis plans to analyse all data collection and consolidate all analyses and conclusions from assigned assessments;
- Develop accurate assessment outputs using Microsoft and Adobe software, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information provided in both technical factsheets and detailed written reports.
- Develop dissemination strategies to ensure the usefulness and impact of the unit programmes and research;
- Engagement with in-country senior management and international HQ on research design, tool development, data analysis, product production, and external coordination.
- Team Work, Coordination, and Staff Management
- Coordinate assigned activities across the Assessment, Data, and Operations department (including field staff in all regions of Afghanistan) and keep the Senior Management Team (SMT) updated about processes and delays.
- Train assessment and operations staff on assessment tools and sampling methodologies for data collection;
- Provide updates at unit and research coordination meetings as needed
- Line-management of junior staff as needed, including work planning, skills training, and development, leave planning, etc.)
- External Engagement
- Ensure relevant stakeholders and partners are engaged in assessment design and planning to ensure the usefulness of products and maximum project impact;
- In coordination with the SMT, present outputs and findings at sectoral and inter-sectoral fora, as well as the wider humanitarian aid community in Afghanistan.
- In coordination with the SMT, represent REACH at sectoral and inter-sectoral fora.
- Master degree in a relevant discipline (international studies, development, economics, political or social sciences, humanitarian response, monitoring, and evaluation, etc.);
- At least 3-5 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings, through either research, evaluation, assessments, or programmes
- Experience in analysing either quantitative and/or qualitative data for analysis.
- Proven knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated capacity in written fluency in English writing detailed narrative reports using qualitative and quantitative data.
- Ability to work independently and manage people remotely
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment;
- Previous experience with remote coordination/ management
- Advanced skills in SPSS and/or R, STATA or other statistical analysis software are considered an asset
- Knowledge of qualitative assessments, methodologies, and analysis and related analytical software (e.g. NVivo) are considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience with GIS software are considered an asset
Those who fulfill the above mentioned criteria should send their updated CV to below submission Email:
Kindly mentioned Vacancy number, position title along with province name in subject line or your application may not be considered.
Please do not send heavy size documents (i.e. Tazkira, Education documents, and work certificates)
Only shortlisted candidates will be call for the next stage of recruitment.
No CV will received after closing date.