- Salary Offer As per Organization Salary Scale
- Years of Experience At least 3-5 years
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration one year
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference N/A
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education University degree in civil or structural engineering or WASH engineering or Environmental Engineering Relevant professional training in Project management
- close Date May 25, 2022
About Norwegian Red Cross:
The Norwegian Red Cross is a humanitarian organization whose work is driven by a desire to help others. It is committed to, and bound by, the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and acts as the guardian of the Geneva Conventions.
Our work is volunteer-based and organized to ensure that we can reach people in need quickly and efficiently. The Red Cross has local branches throughout Norway, while the Movement has a global reach through its network of volunteers.
Given the frequency with which wars break out and the ever-recurring famines, the need may seem overwhelming. Therefore, it is important to know that a lot of people are also working to make things better.
The purpose of the Country Offices (CO) is to ensure the implementation of Norwegian Red Cross International Strategy at the country level through programme support to the National Society partner, as articulated and established in the approved Country Framework. This means that the CO is responsible for ensuring results-based project management, risk management, and operational in-country Movement coordination. Furthermore, the CO is responsible for ensuring project implementation in support to NS partners, in line with established project agreements and project plans. The CO ensures sound technical quality of all country projects, in line with established technical standards and best practices. The CO ensures that Norwegian Red Cross programme support is based on regularly updated humanitarian needs analysis in line with established practices. The CO represents Norwegian Red Cross in-country with regard to external partnerships and relationships. The CO is responsible for in-country security management.
This purpose will be part of the NorCross AFG team, and we are seeking an experienced and qualified technical professional to support technical planning and implementation of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene promotion activities as well as supporting other shelter and infrastructure activities within the Health program and structures.
The WASH Officer will coordinate with experts, consultants, ARCS (branch, regional and HQ) staff, and local communities to ensure the success of ongoing water, and sanitation activities to transfer insights and lessons learnt into the planning and assist in the setup of the health assistance activities. He/she will ensure compliance with governmental policies and recovery cluster guidance while preforming this role.
- Advise on the development of technical project components for an owner-driven health project with integrated WASH and DRR capacity building components
- Contribute to overall project planning, assessments, surveys, proposal development cost estimation, and progress reporting
- Contribute to the overall set-up of ARCS WASH Unit under ARCS Health Department with the guidance from WASH Delegate
- Supervise the implementation and monitor all construction-related activities in line with approved proposals and budgets (quality, progress, achievement of results, use of budget); make recommendations for adjustments in the main project implementation phases
- Develop technical designs, BoQs, timelines, monitoring, and inspection plans,
- Assist in establishing monitoring and reporting systems for technical project components, guaranteeing systematic data gathering and reacting to relevant deviations from planning by proactively informing supervisors and outlining adaptations to reality on the ground
- Assist in establishing a systematic documentation and filing system together with ARCS branch chapter (decisions taken, progress, beneficiary selection, photos, designs etc.)
- Ensure that the programme design takes into account and mitigates environmental impacts, gender inclusion, accessibility, natural hazard risks, and land tenure issues and is in line with government earthquake reconstruction policies and shelter/WatSan cluster guidance, SPHERE, and other shelter/WASH related national government policies.
- The WASH officer will work hands-on in the field supervising the construction of the Shelter/WatSan components. This will most likely involve ensuring all technical aspects of the WASH components, management of local staff/ Volunteer beneficiary communication etc.
- Ensure that gender and diversity, (Protection Mainstreaming – Hardware) issues are considered in the design and implementation of the program, that the Sanitation programming is consistent with the health program approach and integrates environmental considerations
- Ensure that beneficiaries are actively involved in all aspects of the response activities. Identify community needs and capacities using participatory tools like VCA, PASSA, PHAST or KAP
- Ensure good coordination with authorities, Red Cross Movement, NGOs, suppliers and other relevant stakeholders and all MOU, agreements and approvals are in place with Government departments and with the communities.
- Initiate, support and facilitate technical capacity building of ARCS branch and local government staff and the communities’ construction sector and other stakeholders
- Support the NorCross and ARCS with the presentation and coordination of project activities with all stakeholders; integrating feedback from the team, communities, and authorities to assure the project’s success
- Advise on logistical procedures for procurement, material transport, and storage and manage administrative processes in line with the budget provision and internal regulations
- Advise on budget elaboration and control for technical project activities, requesting written approval from the budget holder for relevant deviations
- Respect financial competencies, procurement guidelines, security regulations, and other ARCS and NorCross internal regulations, and the directives of the line manager
- Maintain and ensure efficient communication and coordination with the relevant colleagues at the Country, Regional, and HQ levels.
- Cooperate with finance and admin personnel in other parts of the RCM in the country in order to minimize financial risk.
- University degree in civil or structural engineering or WASH engineering or Environmental Engineering
- Relevant professional training in Project management
1 Education: -University degree in civil or structural engineering or WASH engineering or Environmental Engineering
– Relevant professional training in Project management
2. Experience: – At least 3-5 years of working experience in the domain of construction, and implementation of rural water supply (gravity flow water Supply schemes) and sanitation projects.
– At least 3 years of working experience in humanitarian aid and post-disaster operations
– Experience in shelter WASH/DRR and development program
– Experience in managing teams, capacity building training, and working
3. Personal Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent IT Skills in particular related to engineering and design of water supply system, BoQ, cost estimation, reporting, correspondence and presentations
- Flexibility and ability for frequent field missions and working under difficult conditions
- Good team-worker with a high degree of self-responsibility, motivation and initiative
Diplomacy and tact, with strong communication, negotiation and analytical skills