- Salary Offer As per scale
- Years of Experience 7 years with the humanitarian sector (UN, INGO) and previous working experience in administration, HR and finance.
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration One year, Contracted by ARCS
- Contract Type Long Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference NorCross-Adm-01-24
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education - Professional qualification in accounting (partly qualified Chartered accountant, CPA or equivalent) Bachelor Or a Masters degree in accounting or Business Administration - accounting option
- close Date March 6, 2024
About Norwegian Red Cross:
The Norwegian Red Cross is a humanitarian organization whose work is driven by a desire to help others. It is committed to, and bound by, the fundamental principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and acts as the guardian of the Geneva Conventions.
Our work is volunteer-based and organized to ensure that we can reach people in need quickly and efficiently. The Red Cross has local branches throughout Norway, while the Movement has a global reach through its network of volunteers.
Given the frequency with which wars break out and the ever-recurring famines, the need may seem overwhelming. Therefore, it is important to know that a lot of people are also working to make things better.
The purpose of the Country Offices (CO) is to ensure implementation of Norwegian Red Cross International Strategy at country level through programme support to the National Society partner, as articulated and established in the approved Country Framework. This means that the CO is responsible for ensuring results-based project management, risk management, and operational in-country Movement coordination. Furthermore, the CO is responsible for ensuring project implementation in support to NS partners, in line with established project agreements and project plans. The CO ensures sound technical quality of all country projects, in line with established technical standards and best practices. The CO ensures that Norwegian Red Cross programme support is based on regularly updated humanitarian needs analysis in line with established practices. The CO represents Norwegian Red Cross in-country with regards to external partnerships and relationships. The CO is responsible for in-country security management.
The purpose of the Country Finance and Administration Assistant is to contribute to Human resource management, and provide the financial, logistics and administrative support needed for the country offices.
- Coordinate the Human resource, financial and administrative functions of the country office in line with Norwegian Red Cross rules and procedures.
- Support, as necessary, Host National Societies’ capacity building as required on financial management matters pertaining to operations and finance risk management.
Assists the Afghanistan Finance and Admin officer in
- Daily accounting for the Norwegian Red Cross Field Office in compliance with Norwegian Red Cross Operational Manual, including the Finance and Accounting Manual (FAM) and the Regulations for Financial Control.
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports to the Country Programme Manager/the Field Office management.
- Check that IFRC supplementary services invoices agree with supporting documentation, and file relevant correspondence herewith.
- For Field Offices also doing accounting for other Field Offices: Receive and control monthly expenditure overview and supporting documents before posting this into Agresso.
- Filing of documents according to guidelines in the Operational Manual/Finance and Accounting Manual.
- Ensure that the accounting is done in compliance with the relevant back-donor requirements on financial issues/financial management.
- Ensure that the accounting is done according to deadlines set by HQ. Together with the Country Programme Manager, ensure control of the overall finance and accounting tasks at the Norwegian Red Cross Field Office. Inform HQ of any delays and/or changes.
- Prepare financial statements for interim and annual audit in line with the annual Audit Engagement Instructions from external auditor.
- Coordinate the interim and annual audit of all programmes accounted for via the Field Office.
- Support the Country Programme Manager in the implementation of internal and external audit recommendations (in accordance with the Field Office Plan of Action based on the Annual Management Letter).
- Communicate with auditors and national society to resolve any further issues of regional office and HQ on matters relating to audit.
- Communicate with Regional Office and HQ and obtain approval on the final Audit reports.
- Monitor cash flow and keep Country Programme Manager informed on liquidity.
- Check that invoices are in accordance with goods/services delivered and set conditions, and agree with supporting documentation (price quote, purchase order, goods received note etc.)
- Under direction from Norwegian Red Cross Programme Manager, quality assure, advise and support on budgeting and financial reporting from partners. Monitor and follow-up of finance/admin related issues.
- Perform quality assurance on monthly reimbursement claims submitted by National Society.
- Verify the occurrence of expenses, expenses are in accordance with budget and POA and approved by the budget holder.
- Prepare funds transfer document against reimbursement claims.
- Post all claims to Agresso and also responsible for filing/record keeping.
- Assist the Norwegian Red Cross Programme Manager to ensure that Norwegian Red Cross Procurement guidelines, and if relevant further donor requirements, are adhered to (for procurement of goods and services) and alert Norwegian Red Cross Programme Manager/HQ if this is not the case. Consult HQ logistics team when relevant.
- Update the inventory list for the Field Office plus Norwegian Red Cross residence every time there is a change, at least twice annually. Make sure that every item is properly tagged.
- Maintain and update the Office Specific Information form for the Field Office.
- Make travel arrangements including tickets, visas, hotel bookings, office correspondences, minor purchases for Field Office staff and visitors.
- If relevant, sit in/advise the Procurement Committee on major procurements in line with Norwegian Red Cross’s Procurement Guidelines and donor requirements.
- Liaise with HNS for HR, Admin and Logistics/Fleet related matters.
- Responsible for collection of time sheets from national staff of Norwegian Red Cross and forward it to the Norwegian Red Cross HR for payroll.
- Prepare Finance payroll sheet and bank transfer letter after review.
- Review the hiring request and ToR’s from the requesting department, confirm budget availability and the list of people for the panel interview.
- Prepare payments and ensure necessary signatures/approvals.
- Administer the petty cash according to Norwegian Red Cross’s procedures.
- Provide/coordinate training on financial management issues for various stakeholders as requested/required.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Maintain and ensure efficient communication and coordination with the relevant colleagues at Country, Regional and HQ levels.
- Cooperate with finance and admin personnel in other parts of the RCM in the country in order to minimize financial risk.
- Professional qualification in accounting (partly qualified Chartered accountant, CPA or equivalent) Bachelor Or a Masters degree in accounting or Business Administration – accounting option
- At least 5-7 years of working experience in the Admin, HR and finance positions with NGOs. INGOs and in humanitarian context.
Skills and knowledge:
- Advanced knowledge of accounting concepts, financial management and use reporting applications (e.g. Agresso and Advanced use of excel)
- Understanding of internal control and treasury management concepts
- Proven ability to engage discreetly and tactfully with internal and external stakeholders.
- Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Ability to work towards achieving objectives and results.
- Ability to convince and gain acceptance.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to be solution oriented
- Submission Email:
Submission Guideline: to apply for the job, please follow the link and fill out the form and upload the required documents.