- Salary Offer As per Organization Salary Scale
- Years of Experience 5 years Master, 7 years bachelor
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Duration 12 Months
- Contract Type Fixed Term
- Required Languages Dari, Pashto, English
- Reference 9000
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Possibility of Contract Extension Yes
- Probation Period 3 Months
- Education Masters or Bachelor
- close Date March 20, 2023
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations build integrated, lasting solutions for people and the planet. UNDP has been working in Afghanistan for more than 50 years on climate change and resilience, gender, governance, health, livelihoods, and the rule of law. Under the broader framework of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and in close coordination with other UN agencies, UNDP supports the Afghan people’s aspiration for peace, prosperity, and sustainability.
UNDP implements NGOs/CSOs capacity support project (NCCSP) since June 2022. The Project aims to support operational NGOs with a view toward enhancing their basic service delivery, by enhancing the capacity of non-governmental implementation partners to deliver quality basic services to the most vulnerable people in the communities. UNDP will implement the project with the general funding by the World Bank (WB) acting as the administrator of the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF). The Project will build capacity for a total of 400 NGOs and CSOs across the eight regions and 34 provinces of Afghanistan. The implementation period is planned for 24 months. UNDP set up Project Management Unit (PMU) for implementation of the Project.
Under the overall guidance of NCCSP Project Manager, the Administrative and Finance Specialist will be responsible for providing administrative, coordination and financial management support to the NGOs/CSOs capacity support project (NCCSP).
The incumbent will undertake the following tasks in order to ensure the success of the project:
- Support in implementation of operational and financial management strategies.
- Ensure effective administrative support.
- Support to ensure knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Support in implementation of operational and financial management strategies.
- Support PMU to ensure proper planning, internal control system and safeguard measures for efficient and effective use of financial and other resources of the NCCSP programme.
- Ensure full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, and financial recording/reporting system.
- Support PMU on the preparation of budgets, periodic expenditure reporting, donor reporting and other financial reports.
- Properly manage bank and cash operation of the PMU.
- Maintain complete sets of books of accounts and financial records on a daily basis following standard accounting principles.
- Support PMU in analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for the NCCSP program, and monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, and transactions.
- Ensure financial transactions are authorized, recorded, and filed with adequate supporting documentation.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets; regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation.
- Provide coordination support in the audit and spot check process in accordance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and procedures including pre-audit preparations and ensure continuous follow-ups on the implementation of audit findings.
Ensure effective administrative support, focusing on the following results:
- Support PMU in all administrative work for smooth implementation of NCCSP programme.
- Assist PMU in preparing annual and quarterly work plans and periodic reporting for the specific region.
- Assist in coordinating the travel of NCCSP staff, consultants and partners which relates to the implementation of NCCSP work plan.
- Ensure availability, efficient deployment and regular maintenance of programme equipment, including vehicle (s), computers, and other equipment for operational purposes.
- Prepare various contractual documents related to the procurement of goods and services ensuring adequate protection of the interest of the programme and follow-up on the status of the contract.
- Maintain up-to-date personnel files, and employment contracts systematically and periodically report to the Area Manager on the necessary follow-up actions.
- Ensure that vehicle logbooks are systematically maintained by the Driver, vehicles are in proper condition and office supplies are well stocked and properly accounted for.
- Provide support in administering recruitment and procurement of goods and services in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Perform other administrative duties related to the NCCSP programme as assigned by the Area Manager.
Ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on the following results:
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing and provide guidance to all stakeholders on financial and administrative matters.
- Support the organization/conduct of training on financial management and administrative procedures.
- Document lessons learned and best practices in Finance and administration.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making.
People Management Competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross Functional & Technical Competencies:
Administration and Operations:
- Documents and records management: Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving.
- Budget management: Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets.
- Financial reporting and analysis: Understand changes in regulatory, legal and ethical frameworks and standards for financial reporting in the public sector. Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring. Understands the benefits of integrated reporting, including non-financial resources such as human, social and intellectual capital, and environmental and governance performance.
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels
- Risk Management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks.
- Effectiveness: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
- Master’s degree in in Social/ Political Science, Law, Public Administration, Environmental Management, Gender, Development Studies, or any other related field; or
- Bachelor’s degree in Social/ Political Science, Law, Public Administration, Environmental Management, Gender, Development Studies, or any other related field with two additional years of experience
- Minimum of 5 years with a master’s degree or 7 years with a bachelor’s degree\of relevant experience in Administration and Financial management in UN Agencies
- Ability to work independently, taking initiative, proactive, reliable and impartial.
- Knowledge and experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and working knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, as well as experience in the handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience from previous UN assignments and/or multilateral and bi-lateral aid organizations would be an asset.
- Internationally recognized certification for financial management will be an advantage.
- Procurement Certification would be an asset.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English are required.
- Fluency in Pashtu or Dari is required.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Please click on the link below to apply