- Salary Offer As per NTA salary scale policy
- Experience At least 3 Years of relevant working experience
- Number of Vacancies 4
- Contract Duration 4 Months
- Contract Type short- term
- Required Languages pashto, Dari, English
- Reference AF-Int-48-2021
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Other
- Extension Possibility NO
- Probation Period Not satisfied
- Close Date April 22, 2021
- Education Masters
About American University of Afghanistan:
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The STM Division is accepting applications for Adjunct Instructor of Mathematics. Applicants with previous teaching experience at university level are welcome to apply. As the language of instruction at AUAF is English, all candidates must have excellent English language communication skills. This is a contractual adjunct position for one semester. It is renewable semester-to-semester upon mutual agreement and availability of courses. The selected candidate will be required to teach one or more courses in Mathematics at pre-undergraduate and undergraduate level.
Description of Job Duty
- Promote the philosophy, mission and vision of AUAF.
- Provide engaging, enthusiastic and student-centered teaching to Afghani students.
- Establish a professional classroom atmosphere that encourages mutual respect.
- Contribute to a collegial, collaborative and positive attitude to the university campus.
- Understand and convey the essentials of the course discipline that students should master.
- Maintain high academic standards while demonstrating equitability and fairness.
- Work successfully and productively in a team environment with other faculty.
- Perform the necessary duties of an instructor to ensure quality instruction.
- Establish productive and supportive communication with students.
- Prepare and comply with the course syllabus following the university-approved format and course content.
- Be organized and conduct classes in accordance with the published class schedule.
- Evaluate student progress through regularly scheduled assessments/exams.
- Promptly return graded work to students and maintain student grade records.
- Hold regular office hours.
- Remain engaged and updated in the academic profession and in the discipline.
- Advise students as appropriate.
- Perform the necessary duties of an Adjunct Instructor to ensure quality instruction.
- Maintain competency.
- Maintain standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position and the institution.
- Master’s Degree in Mathematics or Master’s Degree in a related field, such as Statistics, Physics or Engineering from a reputable university is essential.
- At least three years of progressive work and teaching experience at university level.
- Experience teaching online.
- International teaching experience is desired.
- PhD Degree is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Understanding of, and commitment to the comprehensive university mission.
- Commitment to fostering an engaging learning environment for Afghani students.
- Flexibility for teaching courses offered day, evening and online.
- Instructional expertise to deliver instruction for 21st century learners and assess student learning outcomes as appropriate to ensure academic quality.
- Facility with a range of teaching and learning strategies to foster active learning and student success, which contributes to the fulfillment of the AUAF strategic goals.
- Willingness to participate in activities at division and university level.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of the Afghani students.
To apply, please send as a single PDF file format: a cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV), to firstname.lastname@example.org the position is open till filed. Please, include Vacancy# AF-Int-48-2021 and Job Title “ Adjunct Instructor of Mathematics” in the subject line of the email, otherwise the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.