- Salary Offer NA
- Experience 3 years
- Number of Vacancies 1
- Contract Duration one year extendable
- Contract Type Long-Term
- Required Languages Pashto, Dari, English
- Reference AF-N-52-2020
- Gender Male/Female
- Nationality Afghan
- Extension Possibility Yes
- Probation Period Unspecified
- Close Date May 15, 2021
- Education Master Degree
About American University of Afghanistan:
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The Department is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position Adjunct Instructor of Accounting, Adjunct Instructor of Accounting or Finance and Management or Marketing Business. A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications are being accepted for anticipated adjunct faculty positions.
The AUAF is seeking applicants for Faculty Experts interested in short term assignments and future adjunct positions that become available with the following qualifications and areas:
- Technical area: Accounting, Finance, Management or Marketing
- Teaching experience in Accounting, Finance, Management or Marketing teaching technical background
- Experience working in any of the following regions: Asia, Middle East, USA, Europe
The Adjunct is responsible for providing excellent academic Business instruction, guiding and assisting students and assigning sufficient homework, problem solving activities and testing. Providing quality classroom seminars in various English and related materials as a professional, facilitating student learning and understanding in accordance with the philosophy and mission of AUAF.
Teaching responsibilities include a one or two teaching course load, consisting of both introductory and upper-level pre-undergraduate and undergraduate courses, with the potential to optionally teach graduate classes in our various Master’s programs, depending on qualifications. In addition to teaching duties, AUAF faculty will be evaluated on course delivery and content submission and use of the Learning Management System – Canvas.
With the exception of holidays, university closures, weekends, and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working on campus in Afghanistan during their contract period, including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the classes will be taught online for the spring semester. However, future semesters Summer 2021 or Fall 2021 may be taught online or on campus. If campus is open, adjunct faculty would be expected to be on campus
Duties and Responsibilities
Faculty fulfil the roles and responsibilities described in the Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail specific adjunct faculty duties.
- Business instruction for the students, assess students’ progress by grading papers, tests, and other work/assignments.
- Develop an instructional plan for the course(s) and ensure that it meets University department standards.
- Communicate regularly with students and improve students’ knowledge and career skills.
- Adjunct faculty attend department meetings with other Business Faculty and staff to assess progress of the program and the students.
- Participates and represents the Business Program in University-wide meetings, committees, training and events as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by teaching courses in the field as noted below:
Adjunct- Management or Marketing: Responsible for teaching courses as assigned in the field or marketing or management.
Adjunct- Accounting and Finance: Responsible for teaching courses as assigned in the field of accounting or finance
Adjunct- Account: Responsible for teaching courses as assigned in the field of accounting
Teaching and Mentoring
- Teach undergraduate courses in Business mostly at introductory, but also advanced levels. Key areas are: Accounting Finance, Management or Marketing
- Teach 1-2 assigned Undergraduate or Graduate courses per term, evaluating student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
- Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as academic mentor.
- Remain engaged and current in the academic profession and in their disciplines.
- Maintain records in Power Campus and Canvas system
- Create and maintain course modules in AUAF’s online learning management system, Canvas
- Remain scholarly active, contributing scholarship that goes beyond professional engagement to include the creation of intellectual products that are available to internal and/or external audiences.
- Contribute to the overall well-being and development of the university.
- Service to the university includes both internal activities and external outreach on the behalf of the institution.
- Service can take many forms, including fostering collegiality, participating in the life of the university, assisting in curriculum review, participating actively in committee work, developing the capacity of external stakeholders on the behalf of AUAF, consulting and grant-writing for the university and service to the external community.
- At least a master’s degree in Business, education, PHD Preferred.
- Three years of experience in higher education teaching
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved may be considered.
- Successful experience in administration in an academic environment
- Knowledge of and ability to follow University policies and procedures
- Requires a high level of confidentiality
- This position in located in Kabul, Afghanistan
To apply, please send as a single PDF document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For Accounting please, include AF-N-52-2020- Adjunct Instructor of Accounting, for Finance please include AF-N-52-2020- Adjunct Instructor of Finance and for Management or Marketing please include AF-N-52-2020- Adjunct Instructor of Management or Marketing in the subject line of the email, otherwise, the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their safety and security in Afghanistan.